What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the purpose of expansion?

Poul

Juniors
With all the arguements here about which team/s should be entered into an expanded competition, should we sit back and think about what the purpose of expansion is?
Should it be:

- to enter new markets (in AFL territory) with limited previous exposure to Rugby League? u.t., Perth, Adelaide.

- to regain/shore up support in an area generally supportive of Rugby League but vulnerable to predation from other codes? eg, Central Coast/North Shore.

- to increase coverage in an established Rugby League area?
u.t., Brisbane 2, Western Corridor/Logan

- to enter new areas with no previous experience of top level Rugby League? e.g., Central Queensland.

- to increase the international aspect of Rugby League? u.t., New Zealand 2, PNG.

Perhaps these aren't the only criteria to be used for expansion, and they need not be mutually exclusive, but feel free to add your own. I think if we can determine what the purpose of expansion really is, then it will become much easier to actually select the appropriate candidate/s.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I just want to see good crowds in good stadiums.

I want another team in brisbane just because it would start a pissing contest with the broncos about with club is better, Meaning a race for members and alot of advertising for game attendance.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Grow the game
Grow the number of people playing the game
Grow the money flowing into the game
Increase the geographical spread of the game

Diesel

Referee
The Broncos have it too easy at the moment, they don't have to try and will get 25K to a game. A 2nd Brisbane team will be good for Brisbane, SEQ and Queensland teams and will provide a non-Friday night game into Brisbane

RedVee

First Grade
A balance between shoring up an existing league area, and going o a new area in order to create another juniors supply chain.

The Great Dane

First Grade
The purpose of expansion of the NRL is to grow the competition in a way that is profitable to the NRL in the long term and increases overall interest in the game of RL ass much as possible over the long term.

The Great Dane

First Grade
The Broncos have it too easy at the moment, they don't have to try and will get 25K to a game. A 2nd Brisbane team will be good for Brisbane, SEQ and Queensland teams and will provide a non-Friday night game into Brisbane

Or knowing Nine provide two Friday night games into Brisbane.

t-ba

Post Whore
1) To shut up Perth Red (If WCP are included) or to troll Perth Red (If WCP are not included.

2) to lol@ Perth Red if the WCP are not an immediate success.

Oh yeah, and something about Money and stuff...

bobmar28

Bench
Confirm the "NATIONAL" in NRL.

Come on ARLC, the Ipswich-Logan Jets and West Coast Pirates are needed now.

Last edited:

Poul

Juniors
Grow the game
Grow the number of people playing the game
Grow the money flowing into the game
Increase the geographical spread of the game

In general, I'd agree with your summation, although with some clarification required.

Grow the game - what does this actually mean? In my opinion, it's a somewhat nebulous term which is open to interpretation. However,according to one's own interpretation which team/s would "grow the game" most?

Grow the number of people playing the game - I would think this is fairly self explanatory (others may disagree :sarcasm: ), So which team/s would most increase player numbers?

Grow the money flowing into the game - might be harder to evaluate than one would think. Does this relate to the numbers watching on TV, attending games, and buying merchandise? Which team/s will do it best?

Increase the geographical spread of the game - again sounds self explanatory. Should we be looking for greater national or international coverage? If the former, I guess Perth would do this best, if the latter, then Southern Orcas/New Zealand 2. Or maybe we could extrapoate and include a team from China ;-)

What relative weighting should be placed on these, or other selection criteria, when selecting (a) prospective expansion team/s?

Misanthrope

Staff member
- Grow the game in areas where it is not currently represented. Increasing playing numbers and viewership.
- Hurt the AFL
- Increase player depth
- Increase the national appeal of the competition

flippikat

Bench
- Hurt the AFL

Watch out for Super Rugby too.

Word is that 2015 may see a 2-Conference set-up in that competition.

NZ & Australian teams in one conference, 6 South African teams plus new Argentinian teams (and maybe a Japanese-based team) in the other.

It'd mean less games over in South Africa for the Australian teams, and more trans-tasman games in better TV timeslots, against All Black-filled NZ teams.

Watch out for Super Rugby too.

Word is that 2015 may see a 2-Conference set-up in that competition.

NZ & Australian teams in one conference, 6 South African teams plus new Argentinian teams (and maybe a Japanese-based team) in the other.

It'd mean less games over in South Africa for the Australian teams, and more trans-tasman games in better TV timeslots, against All Black-filled NZ teams.

:lol:

flippikat

Bench

No, I'm serious..

If people here are concerned about the NRL not doing enough for the North Shore (for example), then what's it going to be like when the Waratahs are playing fewer games in South Africa and more games in Australia & New Zealand.

That means more games in viewer-friendly timeslots, against NZ teams that feature a lot of All Blacks. The ARU has benefited the most from the introduction of Super Rugby - and the rumoured changes will benefit them even more. Add in the appeal of something new (Argentinian sides & possibly an Asian based team) and you have something quite unique compared to the other winter codes.

While competing with the AFL, the NRL needs to be careful not to take their eye off rugby union.