What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is your favourite-ever season for the Dragons and why?

Prompted to put this thread up by mention of the 1996 Season in the Rev V Jersey Thread, which some couldn’t really recall that well. I'm back on LU after a long time away so apologies in advance if something similar has been put up..

For me, 1996 was the most impressive, astonishing, and my favourite ever season for the Dragons I’ve witnessed. Many know we made the GF and lost to Manly 20-8, but it’s the season-backstory that still makes me well with Dragon pride. The fact we even got to the Grand Final was extraordinary.

What’s your favourite and why? Keen to hear your stories…

Here’s my rundown as to why 1996 is mine. Happy for my memory to be corrected on any of the below by history buffs out there.

• 1995 and the beginning of 1996 was the "start" of the Superleague Schism.
  • We lost our Coach - Rod Reddy – who abandoned the Dragons for Superleague (the Rams-to-be franchise)
  • We lost our Major Sponsor - Akubra from memory?
  • David Waite stepped in to coach us.
  • Many Dragons SL signees stood down from playing in the early season games, Waite literally had to scramble whatever side together he could..
  • Newmans Stepped in to Sponsor us (Newmans of Kogarah down Rocky Point Road! - who remembers hearing that song booming around Jubilee Oval at half-time as a bunch of Magnas & Colts drove slowly around the perimeter)
  • We eventually got some SL Players back – but minus Gorden Tallis who stood down all season.
  • After Round 12 we'd won 4, lost 7 (including 5 in a row between Rounds 6-10), and had a bye.
  • At that stage we were 13th on the ladder.
And then….
  • From our final 10 games we had 8 wins, a draw and 1 loss
  • We finish 7th on the ladder
  • In the semi finals we beat the Raiders, then the Roosters, then the Bears
  • We face Manly in the Grand Final – who finished first in the regular season with only 4 losses all year.
  • We lost 20-8 in the decider..
1996 for me was the gutsiest Dragons side I’d ever seen. Google search that year and look up our squad for a blast from the past..

I remember the '96GF well, watching it at Saints Leagues. The place was heaving. We were always going to be up against it facing that Manly side but we battled really hard in the first half and were right in the contest..

However then “that call” was made by Referee David Manson just before half-time. Rather than called held by the ref, Matthew Ridge gets up after being brought down by Nathan Brown and carries on up the field another 20 or so metres to a backpedalling Dragons defence who thought it a blatant tackle.. Manly then Score in the next tackle or two which then gave them momentum into half-time, leading 14-2. The Dragons fans in the club let out a mushroom cloud of anger at that call – me included.

While I’m not at all saying we’d have won the game if the call had gone the other way, it definitely took the opportunity away from us. No-one would have beaten that Manly side from 12 points down.

Who scored our try that day? None other than Nick Zisti! Wayne Bartrim two goals.

The other two things I remember about the 1996 GF..

When the Dragons ran out on the field at the start and during the Anthems, I spotted Anthony Mundine with tears running down his cheeks – so welled-up with pride and emotion, it meant so much to him to play for the Dragons in the decider (anyone remember him grabbing the emblem after his try against the bears in the semi..). I know he’s not everyone’s cup of tea but I always remember him for that moment and will always be a Mundine fan for it.

Secondly is actually through the eyes of one of my mates, a huge Dragons fan who was at the game.. He’ll always claim…

“on a quiet day at the SFS, if you head to the southern-end seats and listen closely, you can hear the faint cry of “HEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLDDD!!!!!!!” still echoing from my lungs in the 38th minute of that game..”

Yes we’ve won comps in different years which will always be well regarded (I was a pup in 77 & 79 and don't remember much, and of course 2010 stands right out), but for the sheer feat of 1996 – it’s my favourite.

denis preston

First Grade
Good stuff. The 90's for us was 4 grand finals no wins but great sides instead of sides with great players ( as opposed to Brown sides of 2004 on wards ) Still believe Waite was one of our greatest ever coaches and still shitty that he had to share the role with brain dead Farrar after the merger ( Illawarra jobs for the boys even then ! ) Where is Farrar now , back with the Bulldogs ?

77 & 79 was also pretty exciting with the youth but we really didn't kick on from there despite spending a lot of money adding to the roster.

Coffs dragon

Bench
1977 Bath's Babes and the fact I got to go to both Grand Finals against the Eels. Still remember the joy & celebrations driving from the SCG back to Carlton Pub in a procession of vehicles all yelling, singing and screaming. This was very much an era before Police Breathalyser testing.
Great memories of Lord Ted, Robert Stone, Bruce Starkey, Craig Young, John Jansen, Robert Finch, Mark Schulman, Steve Edge, Rocket Reddy and the Old Fox coach Harry Bath....smoking away on the cigs from the sidelines.
Ahhhh yeah Bring back the biff and the good old days when forwards actually put their heads in every scrum.

ALSGI

Bench
2018 was good.
Solid all year, with a couple of blemishes but we still took out the minor premiership and then after losing our first Finals game came back to beat Roosters, then Broncs and Sharks in the GF. I actually felt sorry for Duges crying at the end, but he only played 12 games all year, not bad for 750k. The double tries to Dufty and Lomax in the GF was brilliant. Great to see Nighty off with his 2nd title too, albeit from the bench but the penalty goal he kicked on full time was special.

2019 was awesome too but there wasn’t really much competition that year.

jeffdragon

Bench
1992/1993
When we beat newcastle 4-2 and Tony Herman was called a no try for a double movement .
And when we beat illawarra at the sfs.
Back when we had 3 grades at the semis when firsts kicked off at 3pm
When in those times the dragon army was huge.,when in the semi v the knights we had to move to bay 6/7 to sit where we all wanted to sit together at the SFS

1992/1993
When we beat newcastle 4-2 and Tony Herman was called a no try for a double movement .
And when we beat illawarra at the sfs.
Back when we had 3 grades at the semis when firsts kicked off at 3pm
When in those times the dragon army was huge.,when in the semi v the knights we had to move to bay 6/7 to sit where we all wanted to sit together at the SFS

Great games those - I was in the crowd for the Newcastle game, in a tiny wedge of Dragons fans in the South-West Corner of the SFS - it seemed the Knights fans had 35,000 there, and about 90 Sid Foggs' coaches were parked all around the precinct. We yelled our proverbials off all game, I got my voice back about two days later.

They actually replayed it on Fox a few months ago - still awesome to watch..

Great memories mate!

St Georgio

Juniors
1996 Great memories, 1999 was probably IMO the most entertaining side to watch, should have won it, the so called best in ref in business, gave the Storm every 50/50 in the last 20 minutes guiding the Storm to GF glory.
David Waite top coach only to be blind sided by the Illawarra faction, to make way for another 1 dimensional coach in Farrar.

Prompted to put this thread up by mention of the 1996 Season in the Rev V Jersey Thread, which some couldn’t really recall that well. I'm back on LU after a long time away so apologies in advance if something similar has been put up..

For me, 1996 was the most impressive, astonishing, and my favourite ever season for the Dragons I’ve witnessed. Many know we made the GF and lost to Manly 20-8, but it’s the season-backstory that still makes me well with Dragon pride. The fact we even got to the Grand Final was extraordinary.

What’s your favourite and why? Keen to hear your stories…

Here’s my rundown as to why 1996 is mine. Happy for my memory to be corrected on any of the below by history buffs out there.

• 1995 and the beginning of 1996 was the "start" of the Superleague Schism.
  • We lost our Coach - Rod Reddy – who abandoned the Dragons for Superleague (the Rams-to-be franchise)
  • We lost our Major Sponsor - Akubra from memory?
  • David Waite stepped in to coach us.
  • Many Dragons SL signees stood down from playing in the early season games, Waite literally had to scramble whatever side together he could..
  • Newmans Stepped in to Sponsor us (Newmans of Kogarah down Rocky Point Road! - who remembers hearing that song booming around Jubilee Oval at half-time as a bunch of Magnas & Colts drove slowly around the perimeter)
  • We eventually got some SL Players back – but minus Gorden Tallis who stood down all season.
  • After Round 12 we'd won 4, lost 7 (including 5 in a row between Rounds 6-10), and had a bye.
  • At that stage we were 13th on the ladder.
And then….
  • From our final 10 games we had 8 wins, a draw and 1 loss
  • We finish 7th on the ladder
  • In the semi finals we beat the Raiders, then the Roosters, then the Bears
  • We face Manly in the Grand Final – who finished first in the regular season with only 4 losses all year.
  • We lost 20-8 in the decider..
1996 for me was the gutsiest Dragons side I’d ever seen. Google search that year and look up our squad for a blast from the past..

I remember the '96GF well, watching it at Saints Leagues. The place was heaving. We were always going to be up against it facing that Manly side but we battled really hard in the first half and were right in the contest..

However then “that call” was made by Referee David Manson just before half-time. Rather than called held by the ref, Matthew Ridge gets up after being brought down by Nathan Brown and carries on up the field another 20 or so metres to a backpedalling Dragons defence who thought it a blatant tackle.. Manly then Score in the next tackle or two which then gave them momentum into half-time, leading 14-2. The Dragons fans in the club let out a mushroom cloud of anger at that call – me included.

While I’m not at all saying we’d have won the game if the call had gone the other way, it definitely took the opportunity away from us. No-one would have beaten that Manly side from 12 points down.

Who scored our try that day? None other than Nick Zisti! Wayne Bartrim two goals.

The other two things I remember about the 1996 GF..

When the Dragons ran out on the field at the start and during the Anthems, I spotted Anthony Mundine with tears running down his cheeks – so welled-up with pride and emotion, it meant so much to him to play for the Dragons in the decider (anyone remember him grabbing the emblem after his try against the bears in the semi..). I know he’s not everyone’s cup of tea but I always remember him for that moment and will always be a Mundine fan for it.

Secondly is actually through the eyes of one of my mates, a huge Dragons fan who was at the game.. He’ll always claim…

“on a quiet day at the SFS, if you head to the southern-end seats and listen closely, you can hear the faint cry of “HEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLDDD!!!!!!!” still echoing from my lungs in the 38th minute of that game..”

Yes we’ve won comps in different years which will always be well regarded (I was a pup in 77 & 79 and don't remember much, and of course 2010 stands right out), but for the sheer feat of 1996 – it’s my favourite.
Brilliant recollection - passionate and made the hairs on the back of my neck raise up.
I watched that game and, in my one eyed opinion, we would have nabbed Manly in the second half if it wasn't for that ridiculous call.
Manly were starting to get frustrated and our defence was rock solid.
It doesn't take much to swing a game like that and we had already proven that we loved a close scrap.
David Waite was a genuine tactician and superb man manager.
Those who keep insisting that the roster is the most important thing when winning a comp, did not experience David Waite's influence in 1996.
Having said all that, 1977 was my favourite year - it had everything.
Goodwin's mercurial chip over the top try.
Grand Final Replay.
Our forward pack was just a juggernaut with the wily old fox Harry Bath in charge and lifting his team of young lions over the line in the GF replay.
That was one of the best forward packs we ever had with Reddy, Young, Stone, Jansen, Edge and Starkey. Reddy was unbelievable and set the tone for the rest with his savage defence.
St. George was imperious on the day of the replay - full house at the SCG...
That was the best for me.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
1977 Bath's Babes and the fact I got to go to both Grand Finals against the Eels. Still remember the joy & celebrations driving from the SCG back to Carlton Pub in a procession of vehicles all yelling, singing and screaming. This was very much an era before Police Breathalyser testing.
Great memories of Lord Ted, Robert Stone, Bruce Starkey, Craig Young, John Jansen, Robert Finch, Mark Schulman, Steve Edge, Rocket Reddy and the Old Fox coach Harry Bath....smoking away on the cigs from the sidelines.
Ahhhh yeah Bring back the biff and the good old days when forwards actually put their heads in every scrum.

Agree 100%.
Loved 77 and 79.
Was even better as harry owned the local newsagency . He use to say hi to us kids as we when to school every day.

giboz71

First Grade

12 of the starting 13 were local St George and Illawarra juniors (the exception was Colin Best and he came from Engadine). Dont think a side made up entirely of local juniors has ever been assembled and won a comp.

I wanted that side to win a comp more than anyone. I was shattered when we lost the prelim against the Tigers.

Old Timer

Coach

For me nothing can beat this and I just wish that so many of the young posters here have a chance to feel something even remotely close to it.
  1. Watching Sticks lead them out at the SCG for a 3 o'clock kick off.
  2. The teams lined up opposite each other on the half way line for the mandatory hand shakes and toss of the coin.
  3. World record crowd.
  4. Kids allowed to be on the ground.
  5. Able to run out at the end and talk to and touch your hero's.
  6. Despite the rigours of a hard match your hero's signed your autograph book and patted you on the head after doing it.
I was there with my mum, dad & 2 brothers and the whole day was massive right from the moment we got up in the morning.
Dad's ute all decked out in red & white streamers and balloons, the drive through Hurstville, Bexley and then into the Bunnies area via Canal Road and O'Riordan Sts and then swinging up past that Bat & Ball Hotel which was spilling out onto the road with fans decked out in club colours and who could forget the red & white rosettes.
Arriving at the ground watching all the award ceremonies including the SMH best & fairest (a car).
The marching girls, the bands, sitting behind the posts at the Sheridan Stand end.
The Sydney Uni students in the Sheridan Stand with their read & white straw boaters and trumpets playing "Oh when the Saints".
That for me is when RL was at its finest and the game really belonged to the fans.

Latest posts