What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

Evil_Mush

Juniors
Had you heard a lot of hype?
I just saw it and hadn't heard/followed much hype. So I go in with that priceless thing...minimal expectation and I came out thinking it was freaking awesome. I was worried it was going to be like 'Pearl Harbour' or something. Haha.

Didn't really have specific expectations going in, had only seen the one trailer and heard that it was getting rave reviews (not that I take much notice of reviewers anyway).

Mostly just the expectation of awesomeness given its a Nolan movie.
Don't get me wrong I definitely enjoyed it!

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
the fate of the furious

so im guessing theron will pop up as a good guy in the next movie for some ridiculous reason?

PJ

First Grade
Dunkirk.

Ok to good but nowhere near as deserving of the rave reviews it is getting.

Wife gave it a 6 but id say more 7.5 to 8.

Expected more.

PJ

First Grade
Try Lo
Watched Dunkirk last night (not on Imax but Embassy in Wellington still a decent size).

Enjoyed it, but didn't quite get the feels I was hoping for, not sure exactly why.
I'd still recommend it, but I didn't come out feeling "wow" like I have for some of his previous films.

Tom Hardy can't help but be a badass in everything he does though, huh![/QUOTE

Try Locke. Great acting but hardly baddass

Life's Good

Coach
Heat - 9/10. The best of all character driven crime dramas. Gets better with every viewing, the acting is just outstanding.
When this hit the cinemas(1994 I think)I went by myself to watch it because I didn't want anyone bugging me. So many good scenes, great dialogue. I remember reading that the diner scene with DeNiro & Pacino took only one shoot and they absolutely nailed it.

axl rose

Bench
Dunkirk. Was really hard to understand what they were saying over the soundtrack and with their thick British accents, especially the pilots. Very immersive anyway. 8/10.

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench
backcountry

summed up, idiot gets eaten by bear
Sorry, I couldn't help it

giphy.gif

Zachary Smith

Juniors
Thought Dunkirk was fantastic, it pays not to read reviews until after seeing a movie, I would hate to have seen this on a small screen, it really has that that big screen surround sound experience that's worth the price of admission.

King hit

Coach
Just saw Dunkirk. Not much dialogue in the movie so it was different from other war movies I've seen. Very interesting story of survival. Would definitely recommend it.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Baby Driver - Another excellent Edgar Wright Movie. The middle act is a little slow but on the whole a very enjoyable movie with a cool soundtrack.

Felt like putting on some awesome tunes and going for a long drive very fast instead of heading home.

King hit

Coach
Saw the planet of the apes movie with a mate today. We were going to watch despicable me but there wasn't a time that suited. It was decent but boring at times and a bit to long.

5.5 or a 6 out of 10

vvvrulz

Coach
Burn After Reading 8/10 - The Coen's know how to do dark comedy, it's right up there if you're into quirky adult comedies. Aided by the fact that the wonderful cast buys into the well-defined goofball characters. Would have been wasted on Sandler / Carrell / Ferrell type shtick.

Up In The Air 8/10 - Should be by the numbers and forgettable, but there's a hidden twist and Clooney's performance that takes it a notch above.

Syriana 6/10 - Very heavy and poorly told political drama which should have been better. The plot is there, but presenting it as four loosely connected stories didn't work as there wasn't enough investment in the characters you're seeing. I compare with Lions for Lambs, which I thought was superbly done despite being entirely dialogue driven.

vvvrulz

Coach
When this hit the cinemas(1994 I think)I went by myself to watch it because I didn't want anyone bugging me. So many good scenes, great dialogue. I remember reading that the diner scene with DeNiro & Pacino took only one shoot and they absolutely nailed it.

Consider the supporting cast as well; how often do you get a line-up of Kilmer, Judd, Sizemore, Voight all in top form... and then the next layer down for a young Nathalie Portman, Ted Levine, Wes Studi, Will Fitchner, Hank Azara, each of whom only have 5-10 minutes of screen time.

Just about every frame drips in quality, it's quite a rare thing.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
War For The Planet of The Apes

9/10

Couple of little things irked me and due to them I couldn't give it a 10, but it is visually stunning and overall a brilliant film.

Last edited: