What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

mackdadday

Juniors
Baywatch - 5/10 no redeeming aspects whatsoever.

The Dark Tower - 6/10 Seemed a bit rushed and silly and not the great kind.

vvvrulz

Coach
From Dusk Till Dawn 8/10 - It took a few viewings and looking at it from a few angles to really appreciate what this beast is; a very deliberate and sometimes misunderstood experiment.

The first half is an unfinished Tarantino gem, in the same vein as True Romance, Jackie Brown etc. All the Tarantinoisms are there: the clearly defined / larger than life characters, the razor sharp screenplay and character clashes, the trunk shot, the feet, Big Kanuna burger, "come again". If it chose to continue down this path as the tale of the Gecko Brothers & the Fuller family, it would have been another one for his DVD box set.

Then it has the balls to take this carefully built setup, firmly in the Tarantino universe, and forcibly throw it into Robert Rodriguez land. Now all of the latter director's cliches suddenly turn up: the Mexican setting, the babes, the over-sexualising, Danny Trejo, Cheech Marin, the gratuitous gore fest. Taping movie A to movie B with duct tape, the only constant being the lead characters sharing the audience's "wtf is going on" reactions. I don't think there is any other movie like it.

What makes it work is the script and the cast selling the sheer madness of it all. Clooney miraculously fits like a glove, he's never been this badass and never will be again. Seth Gecko is one of Tarantino's finest creations. Keitel grounds everything, and Tarantino himself delivers his only worthy acting performance as the oddly soft spoken, yet neurotic completely off-the-rails psycho.

Boy did I have fun watching this.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Shimmer Lake - a netflix original

Only goes for 83 mins. Dark comedy set in a small town over a robbery gone wrong. Didn't really know anyone in it apart from Dwight from The Office. Funny and keeps you guessing, worth a watch. Set over 4 days, starts on day 4 and works backwards. Right at the end you work out why

Life's Good

Coach
Netflix movie - Check Point. 1/10(being generous).

The story is about disaffected marines plotting to take down the US government and assume power in the name of the people. Part of the plan is to steal a decommissioned 1960's warship!!!!! and use that to overpower the US military as they invade Washington. The plot is foiled by a homeless ex marine who partners with a few fellow patriots(also ex military) in this small country town. A few of the actors are pro wrestlers(Bill Goldberg)and it looks like it with the cardboard type acting and character interaction. Throw in some very dodgy looking movie sets(the diner, a shed)and it adds up to a movie so bad that I had to sit through and finish watching it, funnily enough.

If it isn't the worst movie I have seen it sure is in the discussion.

axl rose

Bench
Death Note (Netflix)

Japanese version: a battle of wits between two geniuses. a deadly cat and mouse game with a dramatic finale. A+

American version: main character a desperate virgin who blabbers about the Death Note to get laid. C-

Last edited:

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Mt zion. Good little kiwi movie my partner made me download. Aussie idol winner Stan walker is great in it

gUt

Coach
I watched that there Logan on the plane, what a great movie. Marvel does it again.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Alien Covenant. Don't know what Ridley Scott was smokin on this one. Maybe the most telegraphed plot twist ever, which ruined the ending.

vvvrulz

Coach
Vantage Point 5/10 - A fresh idea with an entertaining opening half a hour where the same story unfolds from different character perspectives. But then quickly gets cluttered and silly, almost to Michael Bay levels.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Disturbia

Average teen/early adult thriller from 2007. Predicatable. Main chick was hot so kept me interested. Mainly it made me realize how much phones/net etc has come in 10 years.

Latest posts