What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

Vic Mackey

Referee
Gangster Squad

I hadn't heard of it which was surprising considering the cast (Sean Penn, Nick Nolte, Ryan Gosling, Emma Stone) however I really enjoyed it. Apparently a true story about an off the books cop squad put together to take out LA mob boss Mackey Cohen in 1949. Think LA Confidential meets The Shield.

Kingpin

5/5

Only posting because it is on ch11 at the moment. If you haven’t seen it, do yourself a favour and watch it without the ads.

Possibly Bill Murray at his hilarious best.

Woody Harrelson shows he can act in anything he chooses to, and Randy Quaid is pure gold.

Farrelly Brothers not only bring the gut-busters but seem to always nail the soundtrack at the same time (see O’ brother, where out thou?)

This is a movie I can’t help but watch at least 30 mins of whenever I see that it is on.

It f**king slays me!

Don’t “Munson” yourself, Just f**ken watch it.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Kingpin

5/5

Only posting because it is on ch11 at the moment. If you haven’t seen it, do yourself a favour and watch it without the ads.

Woody Harrelson shows he can act in anything he chooses to, and Randy Quaid is pure gold.

Farrelly Brothers not only bring the gut-busters but seem to always nail the soundtrack at the same time (see O’ brother, where out thou?)

This is a movie I can’t help but watch at least 30 mins of whenever I see that it is on.

It f**king slays me!

Was unintentionally watching this and looked pretty funny. However the Mrs went to bed early so I got the iPad out for some ‘special me time’

Kingpin

5/5

It f**king slays me!

O Brother was Coen Bros though

Mi Scoozi.

I love them both (all?), and may mix them up.

All good. I do shit like that all the time.

Despite the fact the Farrelly brothers 'gross out' humour, geez they wrote some funny stuff and managed to always imbue their support characters with sympathy for the main character despite the material - the sons in Me Myself Irene, Eva Mendes in Stuck On You.

I've never been one to gush over Coen Bros stuff but O Brother was fantastic.

Was from 2005 but I hadn’t seen it, Coach Carter. Brilliant film based on a true story. Similar type movie to ‘Remember the Titans’ however I think I actually enjoyed this more. Samuel L Jackson is the man

If you want a good sports movie, which is based on a true story, try either Invincible with Mark Wahlberg (was made in 2006, based on the story of Vince Papale who played for the Philadelphia Eagles from 1976 to 1978 in the NFL), or Glory Road with Josh Lucas (also made in 2006, based on the events of Don Haskins and his Texas Western College Basketball Team, which had a majority of African-American players in it, that went to the 1966 NCAA Basketball Final).

Both are exceptionally good movies. If you watch Glory Road watch the end credits as they splice in interviews with the players who played in that 1966 NCAA final and their thoughts on the signifigance of the game.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Watched "24 Hour Party People" on SBS Viceland the other night.

It's the story of Factory Records during the late 1970s and early 80s in Manchester with the main character being Tony Wilson, who started the whole thing.

For those interested in the early British punk movement, there's lots of footage of great bands (both original and acted) such as Joy Division, Happy Mondays and New Order.

You even get to see a scene of Ian Curtis' feet swinging while there is some crazy chicken cartoon showing on the TV.

As a movie, it was somewhat disjointed, but for a fan of that style of music, it was quite an eye opener.

8/10.

Smack

Coach
I finally built up enough courage to watch the Danish Girl last night(it's on netflix). Been a while since I cried in a movie. A dog's tale in 2009 and A dog's purpose had me balling the entire film, f**k me it was so hard to watch.

But anyway, the movie was good aside from being historically inaccurate, but then again, the geniused nazis destroyed a lot of evidence of Gerda and Lili. I fell in love with Gerda, imo Alicia should have won an Academy award for best Actress. She was incredible. What a strong and powerful wife she was. Stuck through thick and thin and endured. Beautiful artwork in the film. Lili being one of the first to undergo SRS really hits home, but there was something about her character that just was a bit off. I mean, I can relate to a lot of things like the first time in opposite gender clothes, but to be honest, my heart broke for Gerda throughout the film.

I dunno, if you are not transphobic, it's worth a view, very enchanting film. If you live in QATAR, I wouldn't recommend.

Ban
The film has been banned in Qatar on grounds of moral depravity,[88] and also in the United Arab Emirates, Oman, Bahrain, Jordan, Kuwait, and Malaysia.[89]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Danish_Girl_(film)

einar_wegener_alias_lili_elbe_4.jpg

Knowing - what a horrendous piece of shit. Even back then cage was on the slide

Equilibrium - super underrated sci fi flick. Love the 1984 overtones, but didn’t overdo it. Really good