What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Phrases and Words Make You See Red?

Lambretta

First Grade
thank you for posting that. i really enjoyed it :D

Hear, hear
(which people often type as here, here)

Hear, hear is the conventional spelling of the colloquial exclamation used to express approval for a speaker or sentiment. It’s essentially short for hear him, hear him or hear this, hear this, where these phrases are a sort of cheer.

Here, here is widely regarded as a misspelling, although it is a common one, and there are ways to logically justify its use. But for what it’s worth, hear, hear is the original form (the Oxford English Dictionary cites examples going back to the 17th century) and is the one listed in dictionaries. English reference books mention here, here only to note that it’s wrong.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Americanisation of the English language.

Replacing "s" with "z" so that the first word of this post becomes "americanization". There's a valid reason why "z" is tucked down at the bottom left hand corner of the keyboard with its lonely mate "x". Don't touch it unless the word begins with "z" in most cases.

Same could be said for replacing "c" with "s" so that "offence" becomes "offense".

Pronounciation of certain words to place emphasis on one part of the word. E.g. defence (or defense) is pronounced DEE-fence and semi becomes SEE-my. See my what?
Americanisation of the English language - Part 2.

The omission of the letter "u" in words such as "colour" and "flavour", which become "color" and "flavor".

Has anybody heard of the metal "Aluminum"? It's f**king "Aluminium" you Yank spastics. Why not "uranum" or "potassum"?

Trying to save on printer or pen ink, you cheapskates?

grouch

First Grade
Americanisation of the English language.

Replacing "s" with "z" so that the first word of this post becomes "americanization". There's a valid reason why "z" is tucked down at the bottom left hand corner of the keyboard with its lonely mate "x". Don't touch it unless the word begins with "z" in most cases.

Same could be said for replacing "c" with "s" so that "offence" becomes "offense".
haha

I agree with this, and was once as passionately angry about it as you were. I absolutely refuse to use such spelling.

BUT

I have come to begrudgingly respect Noah Webster, the man who rewrote the dictionary in America. To be honest: he was 100% right. His spellings make way more sense from a pronunciation viewpoint, and are far simpler and more logical. 'Centre' genuinely should be 'center', ffs. I even understand why they pronounce they letter Z as zee, when once upon a time it drove me up the f**king wall. It's because all the letters rhyme somehow! Zed is the only one that doesn't have a rhyme buddy. X has S. Q has U. and so on. Z is an outlier. it should be zee

Knightmare

Coach
An American special that i despise is "could care less" or even worse "could care a less".

It's i couldn't care less as in you don't care. "I could care less" means you do care.

This!

Other phrases that piss me off:

"(insert subject) is not cool/ ok". What a passive aggressive way to express your disapproval of something. If you think something is shit, f**king say it outright- the more creative, the better!

Use of the word literally unironically ("OMG Trump is literally Hitler" "I am literally shaking right now" "I am literally starving" "It was so hot I was literally on fire")

"Educate yourself!"- how smug can you be to assume that somebody is uneducated because they disagree with you? This comment always seems to translate to: Gorge yourself on the same biased media I consume, surround yourself with the same echo chambers as me and don't question any of it.

People who express their indignation with a situation by pointing out that "It's (the current year)"- such an empty argument that doesn't mean s**t. Just because it's the current year is not a valid argument for why people should agree with you.

"Seriously? Wow....just wow....it actually scares me that you think that"- again, mock indignation and passive aggressive tactics designed to hold you accountable for the other persons' inability to handle an opposing argument like an adult.

Slang that pisses me off:

Bae- a favourite of brainless adolescents, MTV addicts and people who wear apparel of American sporting teams they know absolutely zero about
Woke- a favourite of people who post Buzzfeed, Pedestrian TV, Junkee and other regressive click-bait bullshit on their Fb page

SJW terms that piss me off, mostly because they're either non-arguments or designed to silence debate:

Privelege
Mansplaining
Whitesplaining
Asshat
Problematic
Cultural Appropriation
POC (use "coloured people" instead and watch their heads explode with rage)
Bigot (there is a correct use for this word, but dismissing somebody as one for disagreeing with you is stupid and ironic at the same time)
Racist (again, there's a correct time to apply this word, but 80% of the time these days it seems to translate to being white and daring to criticise the words/ actions of a person who isn't white)
Sexist (see 'racist' but substitute male for white and woman for non-white)
90% of "_____phobe" words
Rape culture
Heteronormative
CIS

And (to borrow from Jack Nicholson), people who speak in euphemisms ought to shampoo my crotch.

Last edited:

Latest posts