What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What should the 2019 GB tour look like?

adamkungl

Immortal
The Union version of the tour might be a good comparison, or starting point to chop and change.

10 games over 6 weekends, + 4 midweek, against 5 Super Rugby teams, 3 All Blacks Tests, and 2 select rep teams.

I'm torn on this - my position was that the sport should use the limited to stage full test matches, and midweek games should be left to the past. But I may be changing my mind.

It would be a shame for Pacific nations to miss out on a game vs GB in place of a club side or NSW or QLD. And there is the fear that a club or state team beating GB would be a poor reflection on SL and the sport's international cred.

The obvious counterpoints are that games vs NSW or QLD or clubs are likely to attract far more interest than a game vs Tonga. And other sports (again, Union example) aren't concerned about a Super Rugby team beating the Lions as a reflection of the entire sport, fears over credibility are an unhealthy Rugby League fixation.

So, how do you schedule a GB tour down-under?

At the moment, I'm thinking a similar version of the Union example. 9 games over 5 weekends with 4 midweeks. Probably far beyond the ambitions of the RFL and NRL but it's fun to dream.

midweek 1 vs QLD @ Brisbane
weekend 1 vs Pacific Cup winner @ Gold Coast
midweek 2 vs NSW @ Sydney
weekend 2 vs New Zealand @ Auckland
midweek 3 vs NRL Minor Premiers @ their home
weekend 3 vs Australia 1 @ Melbourne
midweek 4 vs Indigenous Australia All Stars @ Newcastle
weekend 4 vs Australia 2 @ Brisbane
weekend 5 vs Australia 3 @ Sydney

roughyedspud

Coach
You're dreaming lol

Its mostly likely be

week 1 v a Pacific nation
Week 2 first test v Oz
Week 3 second test v Oz
Week 4 third test v Oz
Week 5 first test v NZ
Week 6 second test v NZ

Fly home battered and bruised

adamkungl

Immortal
You're dreaming lol

I did mention that :p

Its mostly likely be

week 1 v a Pacific nation
Week 2 first test v Oz
Week 3 second test v Oz
Week 4 third test v Oz
Week 5 first test v NZ
Week 6 second test v NZ

Fly home battered and bruised

And in all honesty that would be a pretty good result, if a little lacking in ambition and very close to a tri nations but without a final

roughyedspud

Coach
Exactly...pointless..

And if fat Nigel is looking across the Tasman envious at the lions RU. then I have no idea what he's envious about,they can't even beat the "club" teams and the all blacks will leather them