What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What will it take?

Yosh

Coach
I live in Korea so I'm away from most of the pain. It makes it a little more bearable. I'll stick with them as long as I follow rugby league but don't know how long that'll be.

Hawkins

Juniors
I'll stick with them as long as I follow rugby league but don't know how long that'll be.

Is that because your getting tired of the NRL or the Nuclear Holocaust that is about to befall your region thanks to the apprentice president

Hardcore_Fan

Juniors
3 wooden spoons in a row, although not the worst, is up there with the worst streaks in NRL history, equal 3rd worst I believe.

Glendale

Juniors
This may make some of you feel really really old- But I am too young to remember either premiership... So basically my whole time following the Knights there has been no success at all.

Hawkins

Juniors
We made the finals in 2013

And no, 4 years would not be the longest streak without finals. Wests or Souths of the 90s to early 00s went longer

Yeah but I mean current 16 NRL teams. Have all other 15 teams made the top eight in the past 3 years?

Still Nutty

Juniors
Yes. Yes it does.
LOL - old enough to remember it too but that doesn't make me feel old...watching the '97 grand final live is still the best league moment I have ever experienced!

Sitting at McDonald Jones Stadium whilst we were copping hidings over recent seasons in all sorts of weather has made me feel old (and sore, and tired, and depressed.....)

Card Shark

Immortal
I'll use a case from the NRL and something more recent then.

Few years ago Cronulla were headed for financial ruin and this was before the ASADA scandal. Future was uncertain, like ours. Media beat up stories about being moved elsewhere, like us. Couldn't sign anyone despite having money to do so, like us. Cronulla wasn't and still isn't like Storm or Brisbane or Bulldogs or Easts; their fortunes changed off the back of meager signings and out of the ASADA scandal - proverbial tough times - they had a group of players committed to wearing the jumper with passion.

It worked out for them, we have one of the people critical to their success.

We'll be fine.

Yes, you'll be fine. Well I hope so!
We have suffered for a lot longer...had to suffer through 2 Knights premierships when we were still "unfairly" virgins.

The way out for the knights is to spend wisely & not waste $ on big names, that aren't such great value (cronk, bird, scott etc). Flanno adopted a "Moneyball" approach, buying good players looking for an opportunity + promising youth (without going stupid like Knights did on Ponga). I would suggest our recruitment is 2nd to none.

What bothers me is your coach & your attitude towards him. This is professional sport & I reckon he's getting too much of a free ride.

I respect he's doing his best in a tough situation but I'm not sure he has the skills to bring your players through to their best...& make no mistake, you DO have some good young players.

I found it very disturbing that Ross-Dog came back from City-Country & said he learnt so much & was going to take that back to the Knights, which is well & good but the fact he was referring to intensity & professionalism (or words similar), was a worry.

I'd have to double check exactly what he said but how do you guys see that comment?

Spot On

Coach
We have suffered for a lot longer...had to suffer through 2 Knights premierships when we were still "unfairly" virgins.

The way out for the knights is to spend wisely & not waste $ on big names, that aren't such great value (cronk, bird, scott etc). Flanno adopted a "Moneyball" approach, buying good players looking for an opportunity + promising youth (without going stupid like Knights did on Ponga). I would suggest our recruitment is 2nd to none.

What bothers me is your coach & your attitude towards him. This is professional sport & I reckon he's getting too much of a free ride.

I respect he's doing his best in a tough situation but I'm not sure he has the skills to bring your players through to their best...& make no mistake, you DO have some good young players.

I found it very disturbing that Ross-Dog came back from City-Country & said he learnt so much & was going to take that back to the Knights, which is well & good but the fact he was referring to intensity & professionalism (or words similar), was a worry.

I'd have to double check exactly what he said but how do you guys see that comment?

Blokes with no rep experience, going back to club with next to no players with rep experience always say that.

Every interview with a rep debutant says that. It's a cliche.

Card Shark

Immortal
It is a bit of a cliche but the words he chose were interesting- I thought he was being very specific when he didn't need to be.

Anyway, I have my opinions of Brown & this further enhanced them. Hope I'm wrong.

Last year you blokes were competitive in so many games & lost a few that you probably should've won. This year I wouldn't accept that!

Johns Magic

Referee

I don't see how the Ponga signing is stupid.

Any club in need of a fullback would match or beat what we are getting him for if he was still on the open market.

Valentine Holmes is not half the fullback Ponga looks like being IMO, and will be paid a lot more by you guys to play there.

Card Shark

Immortal
I agree Holmes is a long way from a great fullback.

I do think signing players to extra long term contracts is fraught with danger, particularly youngsters.

Agree he looks a special talent but I hope he has the application...it's not all about skill!

Latest posts