What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Would You Like To See In A Rugby League Channel?

With Digital Pay TV about to start up in Australia it open alot of opportunities for a dedicated Rugby League channel.

Now personally Id like to see the NRL take an active approch to a Rugby League channel and not just for fans in Australia. A RL channel avalible through asia would be a huge boost for the game and could draw in a entirely new sponsorship base.

But lets get back to the original idea of the thread! :lol:

What would you like to see in a Rugby League Channel?

Personally I'd like to see a few things.

1. A halfhour news program that runs through all NRL news....good and bad.

2. A halfhour new program that runs through overseas competitions.

3. A program dedicated to the QLD Cup and NSW Premier League.

4. A panel of journo's that run through the weekly issues in the game...similar to "The Back Page". Unlike players, officials or regular presenters...journo's would be more willing to get the dirt we all want to hear! :D

5. A two hours history of the game program every week. This could have interviews from great players, it could show old footage.....it would be fantastic. Wouldnt you love to see the oldest footage of the game with a voiceover from a great player talking, not so much about the onfield stuff, but talking about the entire experience of playing League "in the old days".

6. A Fan forum. A halfhour show in which people on the street comment about issues in the game. They could also read e-mail and take phone in's.

7. Classic matches. Dont flood us with them.....just give us some of the best.

8. A coaching program. This would be a serious program aimed at people who coach at lower levels of the game. It would have interviews with current top grade coaches, show career paths in the game and ofcourse training techniques. This would be a great show to have.

I wouldnt like to see the channel run 24 hours a day. I think between 9am-11pm would be more then enough with a starting time of 6am on weekends.

When the channel is "Down" for the night, there could be a rolling list of current NRL stats, SL stats, overseas results and some select players profiles and news headlines.

Also with the introduction of Digital TV, I wonder is things such as Radio coveage would be avalible through the TV. Ofcourse you'd need some work with your radio broadcaster, but you might have the ability to swith between TV and radio commentary.

I'd also like to see the NRL work with the RFL too pool content. If you got northern and southern hemipshere League working togeather you should have more then enough content for such a channel.

The problem is the costs involved in production. It would cost ALOT of money to set up and run.

Anyway its fun to think about. I would only like to see an League channel if it was free to all Foxtel subscribers and had enough content so that it wasnt mostly classic matches or 50,000 replays of last weeks games.

nospam49

iggy plop

First Grade
nospam49 said:
With Digital Pay TV about to start up in Australia it open alot of opportunities for a dedicated Rugby League channel.

Now personally Id like to see the NRL take an active approch to a Rugby League channel and not just for fans in Australia. A RL channel avalible through asia would be a huge boost for the game and could draw in a entirely new sponsorship base.

But lets get back to the original idea of the thread! :lol:

What would you like to see in a Rugby League Channel?

Personally I'd like to see a few things.

1. A halfhour news program that runs through all NRL news....good and bad.

2. A halfhour new program that runs through overseas competitions.

4. A panel of journo's that run through the weekly issues in the game...similar to "The Back Page". Unlike players, officials or regular presenters...journo's would be more willing to get the dirt we all want to hear! :D

5. A two hours history of the game program every week. This could have interviews from great players, it could show old footage.....it would be fantastic. Wouldnt you love to see the oldest footage of the game with a voiceover from a great player talking, not so much about the onfield stuff, but talking about the entire experience of playing League "in the old days".

6. A Fan forum. A halfhour show in which people on the street comment about issues in the game. They could also read e-mail and take phone in's.

7. Classic matches. Dont flood us with them.....just give us some of the best.

8. A coaching program. This would be a serious program aimed at people who coach at lower levels of the game. It would have interviews with current top grade coaches, show career paths in the game and ofcourse training techniques. This would be a great show to have.

I wouldnt like to see the channel run 24 hours a day. I think between 9am-11pm would be more then enough with a starting time of 6am on weekends.

When the channel is "Down" for the night, there could be a rolling list of current NRL stats, SL stats, overseas results and some select players profiles and news headlines.

Also with the introduction of Digital TV, I wonder is things such as Radio coveage would be avalible through the TV. Ofcourse you'd need some work with your radio broadcaster, but you might have the ability to swith between TV and radio commentary.

I'd also like to see the NRL work with the RFL too pool content. If you got northern and southern hemipshere League working togeather you should have more then enough content for such a channel.

The problem is the costs involved in production. It would cost ALOT of money to set up and run.

Anyway its fun to think about. I would only like to see an League channel if it was free to all Foxtel subscribers and had enough content so that it wasnt mostly classic matches or 50,000 replays of last weeks games.

nospam49

Seriously, that is my dream. We definitely need one.

Some great ideas there.

You know what else I'd like to see. Some hard hitting, no BS interviews with past and present players.

Not like those interview they have on that "Superstars and Lgeneds" show you sometimes see on Fox Sports. REAL interviews.....we dont need the presenter to tell John Raper how good he bloody was. Just ask him some real questions! :)

A look back at the biggest contraverseys in the game would be great too.

And how about you kill of the PC crap straight away with a 10 part series documenting the Super League war. From its very begginings.....to the peace deal.

Interview EVERYONE involved and let the viewer decide who they think was right voa an interactive poll.

dimitri

First Grade
i think it would be excellent if we could have the one league channel broadcast in as many countries as possible

so id like to see as many tests as possible as well as club games from png, france, russia, lebanon etc etc

Anonymous

Juniors
iggy plop said:
Noel and Les Cleal's greatest hits would do me - 24 hours of it!
hey iggy give a few seasons and u can add a second generation of cleals to that mate. Kane Cleal is all class and at 19 he will force his way in to nrl sooner rather than later this season.

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
I'd love a Rugby League channel, considering the AFL have had one for a couple of years now i think they might even have 2 now, i think it's time for the NRL to have their own.

sydraider

First Grade
CLASSIC GAMES

NEWS BULLETINS UP TO THEW MINUTE

PLAYER PROFILES

FAN TALK

REG REAGAN AND TOMMY OUT AND ABOUT :lol:

nqboy

First Grade
nospam49 said:
A look back at the biggest contraverseys in the game would be great too.

And how about you kill of the PC crap straight away with a 10 part series documenting the Super League war. From its very begginings.....to the peace deal.

Interview EVERYONE involved and let the viewer decide who they think was right voa an interactive poll.

Good call.

Rugby Leagues version of changing rooms.

How about Rugby League jackass? Can you imagne League stars doing completely stupid things with no regard to their, or the games image....

So can I! :lol:

You could have interviews with other sports stars talking about their enjoyment of the game.

Former club administrators talking about the hurdles they faced.

How about a program about injury prevention. Every week you learn new treatments for injuries and injury prevention.

I wouldnt like to see a fluffy little fan channel that set up for mums who want little johnny playing a lovley little game of footy. I would want a real entertaining channel that also is a resource for coaches, fans, players and administrators.

They could show press conferences after the games. They could have the NRL season launch live.

They could take you behind the scenes in showing how the NRL is run on a daily basis.

They could have a program about the production of the Rugby League video game, the making of the NRL Road Train, how much work goes into preparing a stadium for kickoff....

The possibilities are endless!!!! :D

PB

Bench
I liked your ideas. How about this one....

What about a program that is like a "reality rugby league show". The VFL kind of did one a couple of years ago.
Create a team and put them in the Jim Beam cup or something. Hire coaching staff and admin people. Players then try out to join the team. Camera's then follow the team through the in's and out's of the season. from the training paddock, to the selection table, to the players houses on the morning of a big game. it is all complied into a show once or twice a week. During that show the public get to vote on things. one week it might be, "who should captain the side in their next match", or "which player should drop out of the first grade side to give "Macca a run". That sort of thing.

And Im sure we all agree that I should be in some high paying, low work role over seeing this channel.... :D

I just think it would be great to have a REAL League channel.

The history of Rugby League is amazing. I follow many different sports and honestly, League has a history any sport would be proud of.

The problem we have however is that our history is neglected. I mean...this is the sport that saw on club bring togother some of the all time great to win 11 straight premierships!

I'd like the NRL to look at how NFL films does their production too. I love watching NFL Films.

Razor

Coach
I'd love a Rugby League channel, considering the AFL have had one for a couple of years now i think they might even have 2 now, i think it's time for the NRL to have their own.

The AFL had 2 last year, only 1 this year. End of 2006, once the contract ends they'll have none. Foxtel(the owner of the channel) is losing $100,000's a year on the channel. No one subscribed to it at $10 a month, so they are forcing everyone to buy it for $3 a month.

But with the Rugby League channel it won't happen until 2007 at the earliest, when the current deal with Fox Sports ends. Fox Sports can't set up a channel without NRL approval, and they wouldn't even try until the court case is over anyway. Remember C7 is suing (case starts March 2005) Foxtel, Telstra, NRL, PBL, News Ltd, Fox Sports & the NRL over collusion in the rights case. The NRL stated the reason Fox Sports won the rights, despite offering significantly less money was because C7 was going to have a dedicated League channel with various competitions on it(not ESL though as Fox Sports own those rights), and the NRL thought the public wouldn't want a 24/7 channel. Of course bullshit, but hard to prove and none of the parties will give them any evidence they could use. News Ltd just didn't want a non-News Ltd sports channel on Foxtel.

Seven is also suing Austar, Optus, AFL, Channel 10 in 2 unrelated court cases.

C7 have the pay-TV Olympics this time and 2008. The Olympics channel will be on Optus & Austar, but so far not on Foxtel, because like with C7s regular sport channel, Foxtel are being stupid at the negotiation table. (For C7s regular sport channels Foxtels final offer - charging C7 $2 mil a year, plus Foxtel keeps all adveritsing revenue-in comparision to Foxtel paying Fox Sports $10 for every subscriber for the Fox Sports channel(Optus only pays $8 per subscriber))

mickdo

Coach
An RL channel would be awesome, but I don't like the idea of it closing overnight (I'm a serious night owl). Most of the English Super League games are on at that time of night when they are on, so they would be good to see live, and then replays of these and other SL games during the week in the early morning hours.

Kingytek

Juniors
nospam49 said:

How about a half an hour program a week on Country Rugby League in NSW and QLD and any emerging state?????

mickdo

Coach
Come to think of it, with the aus/uk time difference, the channel could be split between the two countries, with NRL shows on between 12 midday and 12 midnight, and SL shows on for the rest or something. It would make the channel cheaper to run for fox, and give us heaps of league in the off peak times as well.

Kingytek

Juniors
With Digital tv on a Sunday arvo can u watch 3 or 4 games at once being played at the same time splitting the TV into quaters?

I think the price to have live games from the UK would be a bit much. It could work....but I would be looking to keep costs as low as possible.

It would be ideal though.

I dont think there would be enough content avalible from the UK side to have them take over at night. remember over there League is a minority sport and someone would have to pay for all the facilities and production at their end too.

Once again though....it would be ideal if they could have the night to themselves. :)

By the way, is C7 still going? I thought it basically closed down.