What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO THE END OF SEASON REVIEW 2017??

merahputih

Juniors
I would have liked a review without the waffle and corporate drivel, and one that addressed the obvious and disturbing factors that led to the team's downhill slide after a few wins at the blunt end of the season. Mary was reportedly relieved of responsibility for recruitment, etc so he "could concentrate on coaching". That worked well didn't it! By the time of the crunch games they were playing busted when the top sides were firing up for the finals. Who is handling conditioning at the club? Is a sports Psychologist employed ? Contrast this with Melbourne (sorry Storm Haters!), a side not exactly brimming with youth, who played consistently all year with a couple of hiccups during State of Origin with a swag of their top players out, and were firing on all cylinders on Grand Final Day.
This is the elephant in the room: will Ben Hunt be the Savior for 2018 and will the current coaching team learn any lessons from 2017? If not, it's just another year of the same mediocrity.

hazzbeen

Bench
My biggest gripe is not the end of season review , it is the signing of Mary to a new contract after the the first 7 games . They were always going to give him a new contract no matter what and it became easier for Doust and Co to do so as we won 6 or 7 in a row early on . It should have been done at season's end after missing the play off's yet again ...

Lethal25

Juniors
My biggest gripe is not the end of season review , it is the signing of Mary to a new contract after the the first 7 games . They were always going to give him a new contract no matter what and it became easier for Doust and Co to do so as we won 6 or 7 in a row early on . It should have been done at season's end after missing the play off's yet again ...
Agreed

It's not like McGregor had other suitors lining up for his services and we needed to secure him. Could and should have waited. They really did not learn anything from the infamous Steve Price Anzac day announcement.

blacksafake

First Grade
Part of Doust's statement.

Comment has been made about the
Dragons’ debt to the NRL, which was
created out of the need to support the
RGRV and other key Dragons programs
– namely community and pathways
initiatives – with working capital.
The first planned repayment of principal
was made ahead of time in October 2017
and the debt will continue to be reduced,
as planned, over the next three years or
less.
It is also important to note that the
Dragons are not the only NRL club who
has chosen to seek funding from the NRL

Will be "reduced" not finalised. So when can we expect to be debt free from the NRL?

Also what does he mean by saying the sale has to be with someone who is appropriate?
Someone who'll just put their hard earned in & still let myself & the board continue on our merry way.

It underscores their hurry to re-sign him.
Nepotism at its most diabolical.

Life's Good

Coach
I would have liked a review without the waffle and corporate drivel, and one that addressed the obvious and disturbing factors that led to the team's downhill slide after a few wins at the blunt end of the season. Mary was reportedly relieved of responsibility for recruitment, etc so he "could concentrate on coaching". That worked well didn't it! By the time of the crunch games they were playing busted when the top sides were firing up for the finals. Who is handling conditioning at the club? Is a sports Psychologist employed ? Contrast this with Melbourne (sorry Storm Haters!), a side not exactly brimming with youth, who played consistently all year with a couple of hiccups during State of Origin with a swag of their top players out, and were firing on all cylinders on Grand Final Day.
This is the elephant in the room: will Ben Hunt be the Savior for 2018 and will the current coaching team learn any lessons from 2017? If not, it's just another year of the same mediocrity.
Well put mate

BennyV

Referee

less.

Will be "reduced" not finalised. So when can we expect to be debt free from the NRL?

Also what does he mean by saying the sale has to be with someone who is appropriate?
Someone who'll just put their hard earned in & still let myself & the board continue on our merry way.
Why was the debt to the NRL in place to support RGRV? Wasn't it the other way around?

If this is true, makes the whole decision to sell our whole game even more laughable...

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
At least someone here is willing to be truthful.

The thread was created to bitch and moan about not having a review. And then when one is produced, to bitch and moan about it's content. So predictable.

As anyone would expect, TB every review in waiting is open to conjecture.

Yes, its probably fair to say that we have waited far too long for our season review.
We DID NOT make the finals, so one would of expected our club to provide a 'review', earlier rather than later.

Of course, once any report is produced, we can expect to debate the content.

Based purely on the previous seasons' review ( the clubs words ) ......... all other duties bar initial coaching was removed from McGregors' brief, in order to make the finals, as the basic requirement.

So in 2017, we fail to make the finals ............... yet, the managements in their wisdom, decide NOT to act on the failure to make the finals and then proceed to 'pad out' their review summary with details that any fan would find, irrelevant to the main fact .............. we didn't make the finals, WHY?

Seriously, who gives a dam how the lower grades have performed and or anything else for that matter.

Stage 2 - What has been done to ensure the same mistakes aren't made again in 2018?
Answer - NOTHING! No word on McGregor being made accountable.

Of course, it is now impossible to 'trim' his brief / contract. ( We already reduced it to squat at the start of 2017 )

Summary - Based on the previous seasons findings, the management of our 1st grade rugby league team, have chosen NOT to act on their previous years' findings and todate, have decided that summer holidays by all junior & senior management is now paramount and that leave with full pay is the only topic on the table which will not require any further debate.

Bar tab open and tanning butter to the fore.

Enjoy your holidays people, the management are already running up their tabs.

Capital_Dragon

Juniors
"It has been well documented that we have been assessing our governance and ownership structure for some time and it remains a priority. Even though these discussions have been ongoing for some time, it is imperative that any decisions regarding our structures are right."

So is it a review, an assessment or a discussion? They are three very different things. Doust said it was a review, which usually means an external party has a thorough look at the current state and comes up with a series of recommendations. Discussions implies it is simply the negotiation of a sale to WIN or any other party.

Capital_Dragon

Juniors

less.

Pity he fails to say that the money to repay the debt came from an advance of the extra broadcast money from the NRL. Money that is meant to be spent on operating expense to improve our onfield performance, not debt repayment.

True_Believer

Juniors
As anyone would expect, TB every review in waiting is open to conjecture.

Yes, its probably fair to say that we have waited far too long for our season review.
We DID NOT make the finals, so one would of expected our club to provide a 'review', earlier rather than later.

Of course, once any report is produced, we can expect to debate the content.

Based purely on the previous seasons' review ( the clubs words ) ......... all other duties bar initial coaching was removed from McGregors' brief, in order to make the finals, as the basic requirement.

So in 2017, we fail to make the finals ............... yet, the managements in their wisdom, decide NOT to act on the failure to make the finals and then proceed to 'pad out' their review summary with details that any fan would find, irrelevant to the main fact .............. we didn't make the finals, WHY?

Seriously, who gives a dam how the lower grades have performed and or anything else for that matter.

Stage 2 - What has been done to ensure the same mistakes aren't made again in 2018?
Answer - NOTHING! No word on McGregor being made accountable.

Of course, it is now impossible to 'trim' his brief / contract. ( We already reduced it to squat at the start of 2017 )

Summary - Based on the previous seasons findings, the management of our 1st grade rugby league team, have chosen NOT to act on their previous years' findings and todate, have decided that summer holidays by all junior & senior management is now paramount and that leave with full pay is the only topic on the table which will not require any further debate.

Bar tab open and tanning butter to the fore.

Enjoy your holidays people, the management are already running up their tabs.

OKB - this is my exact point. Why whinge about not receiving a review when you already know all the answers anyway? To me it's just looking for a reason to bitch and moan. The creation of this thread is pointless.

I didn't need a review to know what went wrong throughout the season, and any half decent business isn't going to throw people under the bus as part of a publicly available review process. I haven't read any of it and don't intend to read any of it.

And realistically, even if they put in there that certain people were accountable or they were going to take this action or that action, do you think people in here would say "Ah cool, that's good, I'm happy with that," F&*K NO!! There would be bitching about that as well!!!

I don't give a shit what they write, actions speak louder than words and that's what I will keeping a close eye on.

BennyV

Referee
OKB - this is my exact point. Why whinge about not receiving a review when you already know all the answers anyway? To me it's just looking for a reason to bitch and moan. The creation of this thread is pointless.

I didn't need a review to know what went wrong throughout the season, and any half decent business isn't going to throw people under the bus as part of a publicly available review process. I haven't read any of it and don't intend to read any of it.

And realistically, even if they put in there that certain people were accountable or they were going to take this action or that action, do you think people in here would say "Ah cool, that's good, I'm happy with that," F&*K NO!! There would be bitching about that as well!!!

I don't give a shit what they write, actions speak louder than words and that's what I will keeping a close eye on.
Everyone knows what went wrong, but we wanted to see if the club would admit it or if they would bury their head.

A review starting with ‘Mary has been sacked...’ would have reduced the whinging (as well as addressing the issue, increasing our performance in 2018, etc).

That is certainly one approach but part of the "bitching and moaning" is about inciting change.
If we say nothing - then nothing will change.
At least we are on record.
As for actions speaking louder than words and waiting to see - we have been doing that ever since Bennett left.
"Let's see what happens next year..."
"McGregor now has the team he wants"
"Success is just around the corner"

Aren't you tired of that rigmarole? I know I am.
I also can't help but compare our philosophy to clubs like Melbourne, Easts, North Queensland and others.
All these clubs aspire to winning premierships, we aspire to a top 8 finish.
Big difference.

True_Believer

Juniors
Everyone knows what went wrong, but we wanted to see if the club would admit it or if they would bury their head.

A review starting with ‘Mary has been sacked...’ would have reduced the whinging (as well as addressing the issue, increasing our performance in 2018, etc).

BV, would you seriously have expected the club to do that in the review though? This is what I just can't comprenhend. I can't see what "going on record" is going to achieve and having unrealistic expectations of a review could possibly have resulted in. Going on record in LU forums means nothing to what transpires in a season - we've heard enough from Doust and the club to know this place is the last place they would seek information about what is going wrong at the club.

Like I said, they are words on a page (or PDF in this case). They mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. As you said Dennis, you talk about being sick of the spin but wouldn't you have treated any inkling of a positive change in the review a just that? Spin? Every other positive news to come out of the club is treated with contempt and scepticism - so why should this review be any different?

What gets me is that the club releases reviews every year and it's the same old same old. Did last years review say they would extend Mary's contract as a result of his performance? No - and yet they did. Did last year's review say they were aiming to make the 8 this year? Yes, but we didn't. See, there's no value in anything they put out. It's a business and their job is to make things look as rosy as possible. That's what they will do year in year out - not sure why you would expect anything different.

As I said, I'm waiting for 2018 to kick off as, inevitably, what's in the review will be long forgotten and how they handle events in the new year will be what matters.