What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's happened to McInnes?

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
The only one that believed his own press from before Origin was McGregor.

He believed the Dragons were the “benchmark” so therefore what they were doing was entirely correct and he didn’t need to develop any different game plans to combat the teams that were actually improving towards the end or the season.

Other teams improve throughout the year, develop thier style, adapt it to the teams they are playing, we use a style at the start of the year, which succeeds, then stick with it no matter what happens.
Yeah but thats nothing new he believes that every year since his appointment as coach....thats why as long as hes in charge we will never win a premiership

Old Timer

Coach
He met Mc Fookknuckle?
He has made 200 tackles more than he should have had to?
He plays with a forward pack that are busted by round 14?
He doesn't have a forward who can consistently make a break or offload?
He has sub par 1st garders come into the game off the bench?
He has JDB loitering around flat footed as a so called playmaker?
He has halves that don't take on the line?
He can't find anyone that will go with him when he darts out of dummy half?
Other than that he has nothing to contend with so let's blame him for something.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Nothing has happened to McInnes, and that's the problem.

No development as a hooker ie: running game hasn't developed (although there are occasional signs), nor has he developed a kicking game (ala Cameron Smith)

No respite when needed ie: he is a tackling machine (2nd overall in the comp behind Friend), but this takes its toll. Needs a rest either by admission or forced.

No "Powa" game ie: the power game has certainly short circuited and the forwards are having less and less impact each game.

No discipline: he is our leading penalty giver (3rd overall in the comp). You can almost guarantee he will give away a stupid penalty nearly every half of football. Is this fatigue?

Are all these McInnes's fault. No they are not. A decent coach would be:
improving the all round game of the player that would include running and kicking game.
See his young hooker is fatigued and have a replacement on the bench eg: Robson
See his charges are mentally and physically fatigued and even adopt a different game plan to counter.
As for discipline is can cut both ways, but has it been pointed out to the player? I say not.

Common denominator = Coach

Wittenberg

Juniors
Agree with a lot of what OT and Dragonslayer said. Our hooker looks tired, slow and devoid of ideas. Even when he gives away penalties, and he seems to do that regularly, he does it slowly and without enthusiasm. Has become more of a Rein than was our old Mitch......harsh perhaps but true the last few weeks.

Twenty10

Juniors
He did exactly the same thing last year. All his numbers dropped from about mid way through the year. Stopped running. Team stopped winning. At the end of the he day he’s a good, steady... hooker. Not a great, electric hooker. That’s just the facts.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
He met Mc Fookknuckle?
Other than that he has nothing to contend with so let's blame him for something.
And you can add hes th
He met Mc Fookknuckle?
Other than that he has nothing to contend with so let's blame him for something.[/QUOTE
And you can add hes usually the first one in to tackle the big opposition forwards

possm

Coach
In the first half of the season, McInnes was our tackling machine and was super fit. Now he is fatigued and maybe carrying an injury or two. Put Robson on the bench in the hooker rotation; he can also play a bit of backrow if necessary. Problem solved.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
In the first half of the season, McInnes was our tackling machine and was super fit. Now he is fatigued and maybe carrying an injury or two. Put Robson on the bench in the hooker rotation; he can also play a bit of backrow if necessary. Problem solved.

This is my theory on McInnes, and the entire team. Not sure if it has been mentioned before. But here it goes...

As you know, players get paid extra to play SOO. therefore, at the beginning of the season, players are playing out of their skins to get to SOO (and get paid their bonus)

After SOO, there is no need to play with so much intensity anymore as they will receive their full pay packet.

It's funny how the likes of McInnes, Aitken, DeBellin, and Hunt's form have dropped so significantly after SOO. Because they know that no matter how well they play the rest of the year, they will only be considered for SOO at the beginning of next year.

I also noticed a few years ago Lafai was playing out of his skin just before contract renewals.

It's the culture at the club. No one cares about the club, just how much money they can get out of it.

This is my theory on McInnes, and the entire team. Not sure if it has been mentioned before. But here it goes...

As you know, players get paid extra to play SOO. therefore, at the beginning of the season, players are playing out of their skins to get to SOO (and get paid their bonus)

After SOO, there is no need to play with so much intensity anymore as they will receive their full pay packet.

It's funny how the likes of McInnes, Aitken, DeBellin, and Hunt's form have dropped so significantly after SOO. Because they know that no matter how well they play the rest of the year, they will only be considered for SOO at the beginning of next year.

I also noticed a few years ago Lafai was playing out of his skin just before contract renewals.

It's the culture at the club. No one cares about the club, just how much money they can get out of it.
I think it is a very insightful post.
I would add that none of these guys are in danger of being dropped so there is no pressure or urgency required.
Bennett had no hesitation dropping Hunt to reserve grade and when he got back into the team, he played like a champion.
What's worse, there is no pride in the jumper.
The whole joint is too cushy and reeks of having given up this year as well.
No one cares about our career coach - I would venture to say, they are either going through the motions or are fed up with the dressing room spin.
McGregor holds no sway over what is happening right now.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
I think it is a very insightful post.
I would add that none of these guys are in danger of being dropped so there is no pressure or urgency required.
Bennett had no hesitation dropping Hunt to reserve grade and when he got back into the team, he played like a champion.
What's worse, there is no pride in the jumper.
The whole joint is too cushy and reeks of having given up this year as well.
No one cares about our career coach - I would venture to say, they are either going through the motions or are fed up with the dressing room spin.
McGregor holds no sway over what is happening right now.

100% agree with you. They do a half assed job for an employer who is happy with mediocrity.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
To play well a hooker (and the half and five eight) need their pack going forward (straight and hard).
Ours isn't.

Simple, but probably too complicated for Mary.
agree on the need for forwards to be going straight and hard but i see the dummy half playing a key role in ensuring this happens. the slump in form of the team coincides with the slump in form of McInnes, he is just not playing the same as he was earlier in the year and is young enough to be given a stint in reserve grade to get the message his form is not good enough. Wont happen, losses will mount.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
After a stellar start to the season, what has happened to McInnes?
Looks to have regressed to a dark place.
Doesn't run the ball as much as he used to.
Even his work rate and effectiveness in defence is well down.
He was comprehensively outplayed by the young Parramatta hooker last night.
I don't think he's injured and he certainly wasn't affected by the rep season so what's the John Dory?
Maybe it's time to change our thinking a bit. Given our recent performances, we have nothing to lose.
1. Start Mann - that is now a given considering Widdop's injury.
2. Bring Robson onto the bench - bright prospect with plenty to offer and speed to burn. Interchange with McInnes.
3. Throw the armband to Graham. At least he will be a genuine leader on the field.
Time to do something different.
Thoughts?

DP,
Forget about the fact that they don't give a toss about the coach, another worthy point is that they know there is no pressure coming from the lower grades, so he won't be dropped ............ especially if you consider the McCrone Policy* employed by McGregor.

* The McCrone Policy was instigated by McGregor in 2017 season which allowed J. McCrone to play as many crap games as he wished until the season was gone.

rednwhites

Juniors
Like a lot of the squad(mainly the forwards), hes burnt out & lacking confidence. Busted his gut to get a sniff of Origin, missed out & hasn’t got his head back into gear.
A good coach have recognised that and taken action(Robson/Sele off the bench as back up hookers).
Did I mention a good coach....

Took the words right out of my mouth. I don't know where the confidence is going to come from. It won't be the coach. I would have thought some confidence would have come by maybe playing some relatively easy beats but that didn't turn out so well.

Life's Good

Coach
Took the words right out of my mouth. I don't know where the confidence is going to come from. It won't be the coach. I would have thought some confidence would have come by maybe playing some relatively easy beats but that didn't turn out so well.
I would have thought the confidence comes by injecting a few new(not necessarily rookies)into the team to lift enthusiasm, change the game plan etc. to freshen them up.
None of this has occurred & it’s 2017 all over again with any ‘new’ faces on a hiding to nothing.

I would have thought the confidence comes by injecting a few new(not necessarily rookies)into the team to lift enthusiasm, change the game plan etc. to freshen them up.
None of this has occurred & it’s 2017 all over again with any ‘new’ faces on a hiding to nothing.
We are sitting ducks at the moment.
The Tigers have an excellent pack of forwards led by Farrah.
Even on paper they look more potent than us.
Canterbury are going to get into the grind and defend strongly.
If young Lewis plays against us they will also be a difficult proposition.
Our best chance is against Newcastle but even then, it will boil down to who will be in their team on game day.
"Danger, Danger Will Robinson" that's all I can say.

Life's Good

Coach
We are sitting ducks at the moment.
The Tigers have an excellent pack of forwards led by Farrah.
Even on paper they look more potent than us.
Canterbury are going to get into the grind and defend strongly.
If young Lewis plays against us they will also be a difficult proposition.
Our best chance is against Newcastle but even then, it will boil down to who will be in their team on game day.
"Danger, Danger Will Robinson" that's all I can say.
We can win our remaining games but the question is ‘do we want to?’
The players look flat out disinterested not too mention broken. That, to me, is a sign of no belief in the coach, be it his words &/or actions. It’s like the weight of expectation to avoid a slide(again)has taken hold & they have a coaching group incapable of arresting it(again).

Last edited:

blacksafake

First Grade
Like anyone else coached by L plate he’s burnt out. He squeezes every inch out of the lemon to the point you can’t get anymore. There’s no actual coaching as such, It’s all revolved around the power game, no skill. In L plates time as head coach :rolling_eyes: has there ever been any signs( besides the halves) of other members of the spine ie fullback or dummy half developing a kicking game?
And now with Widdop out the only one capable of kicking is Hunt which will make it easier for the defence because they know who’s getting the ball on the last. There are other parts of their game where the lack of skill is dumbfounding.