What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Whats your bench press?

Bronco, the links Grubrunner supplied are excellent. Take note on the joints in the diagrams, such as the elbows when doing bicep curls. They always remain at the side of the torso. They never move. When performing the squeaze, many have the tendency to help the motion by bringing the elbows up to complete the sqeaze. Unfortunately this no longer isolates the muscle group you are targeting and the effort is lost. Triceps, same thing. Keep the elbows still.

It's also important to remember the downward motion is as important as the sqeaze. Never rush the exercise. You'll burn off much needed energy foryour workout later.Slow and steady is the go. Breath in through the nose and out through the mouth. The body recovers quicker this way. And stretch after each set.

Vertigo, I keep my heart rate between 160 and 170 beats per minute. I don't generally do more than 30 minutes of cardioas I'm still a lazy bastard. I monitor it by simply taking my pulse.

I knew I'd forget something. In regards to GVT, the rest period between sets is 60 seconds. No more.

Very interesting reading

6'4 Bronco? God, you should be out playing some B'Ball in the backstreets of Wellington ;)

I might as well add my piece to this thread as well. Im 6'1, id say that i have a fairly normal body shape (ie: not fat, but not particularly muscly either), and i weight 73kg. I wouldn't say that i have the best diet in the world, but i haven't put on weight for ages. I think i weighted more when i was 15-16 to be honest.

But to be honest, ive picked up on a few things as well when i have tried controlling my weight. First of all, i manage to do some weights, bike riding and sit ups on most days. Like Bronco, i have some hand weights with about 8kg on each arm. I have found that daily exercise works well.

Apart from that, i also adopt the no carbos after about 3 idea. I was actually told that by a person who did a uni degree in the area, and ever since that, i've stuck to it. Apparently its one of the golden rules to adopt if you want to lose weight (can anyone confirm that?)

Anyways, i also like exercising after eating fatty foods. I feel guilty if i don't to be honest, and thats probably a good thing

And finally, i know this might sound a tad odd, but i also chew a lot of gum. To be honest, its just a quirky thing that i do. Chewing gum is a laxative, and well.....i find that if I have 1-2 packets a day, i keep rather 'regular' in that area. Kind of flushes the body out i guess, just like water does. Does anyone else have thoughts on that?

Cheers,
Moffo

S

SpaceMonkey

Awesome stuff guys, I've been thinking of getting a lot more serious about training recently and this stuff is really inspiring. I currently get to the gym a few times a week but am thinking of getting a personal trainer and getting a lot stricter on my diet.
Bronco, best of luck with getting into shape, I know how it feels mate, I'm just under 6'0 and went from 97kg down to 82 in about 12-13 weeks. I'm currently 85kg but aren't really training as hard as I should, but I'd say I'm in decent shape, so I'd say at your height you could happily weigh in at between 90 and 100. The thing to remember though is there is no ideal weight for someone of a particular height, as factors such as build, amount of lean muscle, bone density etc all come into play. Its much smarter just to go by how you look and feel, if you look and feel good, your weight is really irrelevant. Fat tests and fitness tests aren't a bad way of checking your fitness either. If you're worried about feeling self conscious in a gym then don't be, despite their reputation for being full of narcisistic show ponies flexing in front of the mirror all the gyms I've trained in have been halpful and encouraging environments.

"I currently get to the gym a few times a week but am thinking of getting a personal trainer and getting a lot stricter on my diet."

I highly recommend it SM. It's expensive, but well worth it if you are prepared to put the effort in. A PT will take you to your utmost limit, but more than that, the knowledge he/she passes onto you is priceless.

Every couple of months, one session was for theory. Where he would teach me how muscle grows and why it does. Nutrition and the best way to recover after a session. The list goes on and on.

I hope you find a good one.

S

SpaceMonkey

Bronco, I wasgetting to the gym4-6 days a week (depending on how good I was being!) and dieting strictly (6 small meals a day, protien shakes etc). Training sessions were 45min to an hour every second day, and I'd do a 20 minute cardio session on the days I wasn't doing weights. It's pretty hard work but the changes you feel in yourself by getting fitter are awesome.

I'm having real trouble using the keyboard and mousebecause of my tricepinjury. It's strating to heal slowly, but the finger movements is real uncomfortable for me.
I'm going to take a few days off from the computer and rest it or it's just not going to heal as quick as it should. I'llanswer those questions that people asked me whenI come back by the weekend or so.
It's turned into a real good discussion this one. Well done all :)

imported_Outlaw

Juniors
I hope you're feeling well Grubrunner, and I hope to see more of your views on this thread.
The German Volume Training that Evilgrowler mentioned had me interested and I decidedlooking a little further into the topic. Not easy to find alot of info on it online about GVT, but I did find this informativepiece below. Seems bloody tough, but probably worth the shot if it produces the results.
I hope someone finds it interesting. I did.

<center> <h1>German Volume Training</h1> <h3>A New Look at an Old Way to Get Big and Strong!</h3></center>By Charles Poliquin
Supersets and tri-sets allow you to perform a lot of work in a short period of time. The rest-pause method allows you to use heavier weights, so you can recruit the higher threshold muscle fibers, and eccentric training enables you to overcome strength plateaus. The bottom line is that almost any training method will work (provided you do it with intensity!), at least for the few weeks it takes for your body to adapt to it. There is, however, one training system that stands above all the rest. It's brutally hard, but I've found it to be a very effective way to pack on muscle fast! In strength-coaching circles, this method is often called the "ten sets method." Because it has its roots in German-speaking countries, I like to call it German Volume Training. To the best of my knowledge, this training system originated in Germany in the mid-'70's and was popularized by Rolf Feser, who was then the National Coach of Weightlifting. A similar protocol was promoted by Vince Gironda in the U.S., but regardless of who actually invented it, it works. In Germany, the ten-sets method was used in the off-season to help weightlifters gain lean body mass. It was so efficient that lifters routinely moved up a full weight class within 12 weeks. It was the base program of Canadian weightlifter Jacques Demers, Silver Medalist in the Los Angeles Olympic Games. Jacques was known in weightlifting circles for his massive thighs, and he gives credit to the German method for achieving such a spectacular level of hypertrophy. The same method was also used by Bev Francis in her early days of bodybuilding to pack on muscle. The program works because it targets a group of motor units, exposing them to an extensive volume of repeated efforts, specifically, 10 sets of a single exercise. The body adapts to the extraordinary stress by hypertrophying the targeted fibers. To say this program adds muscle fast is probably an understatement. Gains of ten pounds or more in six weeks are not uncommon, even in experienced lifters! <h3>Goals and Guidelines</h3> The goal of the German Volume Training method is to complete ten sets of ten reps with the same weight for each exercise. You want to begin with a weight you could lift for 20 reps to failure if you had to. For most people, on most exercises, that would represent 60% of their 1RM load. Therefore, if you can bench press 300 lbs for 1 rep, you would use 180 lbs for this exercise. For lifters new to this method, I recommend using the following body-part splits: Day 1: chest and back, Day 2: legs and abs, Day 3: off, Day 4: arms and shoulders, Day 5: off. When using this program or any other, for that matter, you should keep a detailed journal of the exact sets/reps and rest intervals performed, and only count the repetitions completed in strict form. Here are a few more guidelines to ensure optimal progress: Rest Intervals: When bodybuilders start with this method, they often question its value for the first several sets because the weight won't feel heavy enough. However, there is minimal rest between sets (about 60 seconds when performed in sequence and 90-120 seconds when performed as a superset), which incurs cumulative fatigue. (Interestingly enough, you might find you get stronger again during the eighth and ninth sets. This is because of a short-term neural adaptation.) Because of the importance of the rest intervals, you should use a stopwatch to keep the rest intervals constant. This is very important, as it becomes tempting to lengthen the rest time as you fatigue. Tempo: For long-range movements such as squats, dips, and chins, use a 4-0-2 tempo; this means you would lower the weight in four seconds and immediately change direction and lift for two seconds. For movements such as curls and triceps extensions, use a 3-0-2 tempo. Number of Exercises: One, and only one, exercise per body part should be performed. Therefore, select exercises that recruit a lot of muscle mass. Triceps kickbacks and leg extensions are definitely out, squats and bench presses are definitely in. For supplementary work for individual body parts (like triceps and biceps), you can do 3 sets of 10-20 reps. Training Frequency: Because this is such an intense program, it'll take you longer to recover. In fact, if you're familiar with the writings of Peter Sisco and John Little, you'll find that the average "Power Factor Rating" of the 10-sets method is about 8 billion. Consequently, one training session every four to five days per body part is plenty. Overload Mechanism: Once you're able to do 10 sets of 10 with constant rest intervals, increase the weight on the bar by 4% to 5%, and repeat the process. Refrain from using forced reps, negatives, or burns. The volume of the work will take care of the hypertrophy. Expect to have some deep muscle soreness without having to resort to set prolongation techniques. In fact, after doing a quad and hams session with this method, it takes the average bodybuilder about five days to stop limping. <h3>Beginner/Intermediate Program: Phase 1</h3> This is a sample routine based on a five-day cycle. Once you've used this method for six workouts per body part, it's time to move on to a more intensive program for a three-week period.Day 1: Chest and Back
<table border=1> <tbody> <tr bgcolor=red> <td width=198>Exercise</td> <td width=72>Sets</td> <td width=72>Reps</td> <td width=72>Tempo</td> <td width=108>Rest Interval</td></tr> <tr> <td width=198>A-1 Decline Dumbbell Presses,
Semi-Supinated Grip
(palms facing each other)</td> <td width=72>10</td> <td width=72>10</td> <td width=72>4-0-2</td> <td width=108>90 seconds</td></tr> <tr> <td width=198>A-2 Chin-Ups (palms facing you)</td> <td width=72>10</td> <td width=72>10</td> <td width=72>4-0-2</td> <td width=108>90 seconds</td></tr> <tr> <td width=198>B-1 Incline Dumbbell Flyes</td> <td width=72>3</td> <td width=72>10-12</td> <td width=72>3-0-2</td> <td width=108>60 seconds</td></tr> <tr> <td width=198>B-2 One-Arm Dumbbell Rows</td> <td width=72>3</td> <td width=72>10-12</td> <td width=72>3-0-2</td> <td width=108>60 seconds</td></tr></tbody></table>
Notes: Rest 90 seconds between each "A" exercise and each superset; rest 60 seconds between each "B" exercise and each superset. Incidentally, I only recommend three sets of ten in this program for the "B" exercises. The "B" exercises constitute supplementary work, and doing ten sets of them would result in overtraining.Day 2: Legs and Abs
<table border=1> <tbody> <tr bgcolor=red> <td width=198>Exercise</td> <td width=72>Sets</td> <td width=72>Reps</td> <td width=72>Tempo</td> <td width=108>Rest Interval</td></tr> <tr> <td width=198>A-1 Back Squats</td> <td width=72>10</td> <td width=72>10</td> <td width=72>4-0-2</td> <td width=108>90 seconds</td></tr> <tr> <td width=198>A-2 Lying Leg Curls</td> <td width=72>10</td> <td width=72>10</td> <td width=72>4-0-2</td> <td width=108>90 seconds</td></tr> <tr> <td width=198>B-1 Low-Cable Pull-Ins*</td> <td width=72>3</td> <td width=72>15-20</td> <td width=72>2-0-2</td> <td width=108>60 seconds</td></tr> <tr> <td width=198>B-2 Seated Calf Raises</td> <td width=72>3</td> <td width=72>15-20</td> <td width=72>2-0-2</td> <td width=108>60 seconds</td></tr></tbody></table>
(*Take a weightlifting belt and buckle it. Attach it to the low pulley of a cable crossover machine. Lie down on your back in front of the machine, and hook your feet in the belt. Then pull your knees towards your chest.) Notes: Rest 90 seconds between each "A" exercise and each superset; rest 60 seconds between each "B" exercise and each superset.Day 3: Off Day 4: Arms and Shoulders
<table border=1> <tbody> <tr bgcolor=red> <td width=198>Exercise</td> <td width=72>Sets</td> <td width=72>Reps</td> <td width=72>Tempo</td> <td width=108>Rest Interval</td></tr> <tr> <td width=198>A-1 Parallel Bar Dips</td> <td width=72>10</td> <td width=72>10</td> <td width=72>4-0-2</td> <td width=108>90 seconds</td></tr> <tr> <td width=198>A-2 Incline Hammer Curls</td> <td width=72>10</td> <td width=72>10</td> <td width=72>4-0-2</td> <td width=108>90 seconds</td></tr> <tr> <td width=198>B-1 Bent-Over Dumbbell
Lateral Raises*</td> <td width=72>3</td> <td width=72>10-12</td> <td width=72>2-0-X</td> <td width=108>60 seconds</td></tr> <tr> <td width=198>B-2 Seated Dumbbell
Lateral Raises</td> <td width=72>3</td> <td width=72>10-12</td> <td width=72>2-0-X</td> <td width=108>60 seconds</td></tr></tbody></table>
(*While seated on the edge of a bench with your torso bent over, raise the dumbbells out to the side, making sure the top two knuckles (the ones closest to your thumb) are in line with your ears at the top of the movement.) Notes: Rest 90 seconds between each "A" exercise and each superset; rest 60 seconds between each "B" exercise and each superset. "X" in the tempo means to move as fast as possible, keeping the weight under control.Day 5: Off <h3>Beginner/Intermediate Program: Phase 2</h3> After six of those five-day cycles, I recommend you do a three-week phase where the average set is six to eight reps, and do only four to six sets per body part over a five-day cycle, or you can do any other split that suits your recovery pattern. After this three-week block, you can return to the German Volume Training method by doing the following ten sets of six reps routine. In the exercises that are prescribed for 10 sets, use a load you'd normally be able to do 12 repetitions with. The goal in this phase is to do ten sets of six with that load. SAMPLE 10 sets of 6 routine:Day 1: Chest and Back
<table border=1> <tbody> <tr bgcolor=red> <td width=198>Exercise</td> <td align=middle width=72>Sets</td> <td align=middle width=72>Reps</td> <td align=middle width=72>Tempo</td> <td align=middle width=108>Rest Interval</td></tr> <tr> <td width=198>A-1 Incline Dumbbell Presses</td> <td align=middle width=72>10</td> <td align=middle width=72>6</td> <td align=middle width=72>5-0-1</td> <td align=middle width=108>90 seconds</td></tr> <tr> <td width=198>A-2 Wide-Grip Pull-Ups
(palms facing away from you)</td> <td align=middle width=72>10</td> <td align=middle width=72>6</td> <td align=middle width=72>5-0-1</td> <td align=middle width=108>90 seconds</td></tr> <tr> <td width=198>B-1 Flat Dumbbell Flyes</td> <td align=middle width=72>3</td> <td align=middle width=72>6</td> <td align=middle width=72>3-0-1</td> <td align=middle width=108>60 seconds</td></tr> <tr> <td width=198>B-2 Bent-Over Rows with EZ Bar</td> <td align=middle width=72>3</td> <td align=middle width=72>6</td> <td align=middle width=72>3-0-1</td> <td align=middle width=108>60 seconds</td></tr></tbody></table>
Notes: Rest 90 seconds between each "A" exercise and each superset; rest 60 seconds between each "B" exercise and each superset.Day 2: Legs and Abs
<table border=1> <tbody> <tr bgcolor=red> <td width=198>Exercise</td> <td align=middle width=72>Sets</td> <td align=middle width=72>Reps</td> <td align=middle width=72>Tempo</td> <td align=middle width=108>Rest Interval</td></tr> <tr> <td width=198>A-1 Bent-Knee Deadlifts</td> <td align=middle width=72>10</td> <td align=middle width=72>6</td> <td align=middle width=72>5-0-1</td> <td align=middle width=108>90 seconds</td></tr> <tr> <td width=198>A-2 Seated Leg Curls</td> <td align=middle width=72>10</td> <td align=middle width=72>6</td> <td align=middle width=72>5-0-1</td> <td align=middle width=108>90 seconds</td></tr> <tr> <td width=198>B-1 Twisting Crunches</td> <td align=middle width=72>3</td> <td align=middle width=72>12-15</td> <td align=middle width=72>3-0-3</td> <td align=middle width=108>60 seconds</td></tr> <tr> <td width=198>B-2 Standing Calf Raises</td> <td align=middle width=72>3</td> <td align=middle width=72>12-15</td> <td align=middle width=72>3-0-3</td> <td align=middle width=108>60 seconds</td></tr></tbody></table>
Notes: Rest 90 seconds between each "A" exercise and each superset; rest 60 seconds between each "B" exercise and each superset.Day 3: Off Day 4: Arms and Shoulders
<table border=1> <tbody> <tr bgcolor=red> <td width=198>Exercise</td> <td align=middle width=72>Sets</td> <td align=middle width=72>Reps</td> <td align=middle width=72>Tempo</td> <td align=middle width=108>Rest Interval</td></tr> <tr> <td width=198>A-1 Parallel Bar Dips</td> <td align=middle width=72>10</td> <td align=middle width=72>6</td> <td align=middle width=72>5-0-1</td> <td align=middle width=108>90 seconds</td></tr> <tr> <td width=198>A-2 Incline Hammer Curls</td> <td align=middle width=72>10</td> <td align=middle width=72>6</td> <td align=middle width=72>5-0-1</td> <td align=middle width=108>90 seconds</td></tr> <tr> <td width=198>B-1 Bent-Over Dumbbell
Lateral Raises</td> <td align=middle width=72>3</td> <td align=middle width=72>10-12</td> <td align=middle width=72>2-0-X</td> <td align=middle width=108>60 seconds</td></tr> <tr> <td width=198>B-2 Seated Dumbbell
Lateral Raises</td> <td align=middle width=72>3</td> <td align=middle width=72>10-12</td> <td align=middle width=72>2-0-X</td> <td align=middle width=108>60 seconds</td></tr></tbody></table>
Notes: Rest 90 seconds between each "A" exercise and each superset; rest 60 seconds between each "B" exercise and each superset.Day 5: Off <h3>German Volume Training for the Advanced Trainee</h3> For the advanced trainee, variety in training is even more important to elicit adaptation. With the advanced trainee, I use a system called the four percent method. That is, I increase the load four to five percent every workout for two workouts in a row, and I reduce the target rep by one rep for every weight increase. Then I reduce the weight four to five percent and increase the rep bracket to its original starting point. Since this is very mathematical, let's look at an example that will clearly illustrate this point. Let's say you can barbell curl 100 lbs for 12 strict reps, and you haven't been able to increase the amount of reps or weight on this exercise. Here's a sample routine that would increase your curling strength:Workout 1: 10 sets of 6 @ 110 lbs
Workout 2: 10 sets of 5 @ 115 lbs
Workout 3: 10 sets of 4 @ 120 lbs
Workout 4: 10 sets of 6 @ 115 lbs
Workout 5: 10 sets of 5 @ 120 lbs
Workout 6: 10 sets of 4 @ 125 lbs
Workout 7: Test day. At this point, you would curl 120 for 12 reps, a 9% gain over 6 workouts! Here's an example of the German Volume Training method with the 4% to 5% method for someone who can bench press 300 lbs 10 times in strict form:Workout 1: 10 sets of 5 @ 300 lbs
Workout 2: 10 sets of 4 @ 315 lbs
Workout 3: 10 sets of 3 @ 330 lbs
Workout 4: 10 sets of 5 @ 315 lbs
Workout 5: 10 sets of 4 @ 330 lbs
Workout 6: 10 sets of 3 @ 345 lbs
Workout 7: Test day. At this point, you would bench press 330 lbs for 10 reps. To recap, perform the Beginner/Intermediate Phase 1 program for six weeks (six 5-day cycles). Then, progress to the Beginner/Intermediate Phase 2 program for three weeks. After that, you'll be ready to graduate to the Advanced program. This program is elegant in its simplicity, but that's what the Germans do best. Just ask any Mercedes Benz or BMW owner.

V

Vertigo

On German Volume Training:
Evilgrowler,
I know you mentioned earlier that you had discussed G.V.T with a friend, but have you tried the method for yourself? Has your friend? What were the results?
It seems very hardcore, judging by the post above this, and I'm guessing it's more for the advanced trainer rather than the beginner or intermediate.
Of course the above question directed to Evilgrowler is not exclusive; it's open to the forum.
V.

Vertigo,

I haven't tried it myself, nor has my friend. But by all reports it works. It's been used for years, and as far as I know to great success.

It seems hardcore because it is. The idea behind it is to promote muscle growth when the body hits a platue. Therefore you must shock the muscle into waking up. I do it with supersetting. I prefer this as it allows you to do more muscle groups where GVT is more limited in what groups you can do.

However, if you want to build your chest, back and quads quickly, this sounds like the way to go.

Great post Outlaw. Thx :)

Bronco, that's not called hard mate. It's called the beginning. ;)

Good for you. It practically changed my life. You'll be surprised how soon you'll notice a difference. Just remain consistant and stick it out. :)

Your first session is considered a light workout, but remember where we discussed shocking the muscles? That's what just happened to you lol. As your muscles learn the routine it will be less of a struggle. Then you need to shock them again.

This is calledgood painBronco ;)

H

hutch

i couldnt be bothered startin a new thread, and this is a relevant section, so i was just wondering what gym you fellas attend, it would be strange if anyone went to the same one.ive missed the middle 50 or so posts in this thread so i apologise if you have already spoken about this. i attend northmead gym called plus fitness on windsor road. its a good little quiet gym usually with no roid munchers (or people on the "pink floyds").

C

CanadianSteve

Wheres grubrunner got to? This was turning into a good thread. -Bronco

<table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 width="100%" border=1> <tbody> <tr class=ThmBgAlternate> <td nowrap align=middle background=http://sc.communities.msn.com/themes/pby/img/mb/reply_bg.gif> <a target=_top>Reply</a>
c.gif
</td> <td width="100%"> <table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 width="100%" border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td> Recommend </td> <td align=right>Message 108 of 116 in Discussion </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr> <tr class=ThmBgHighlightLight> <td width="100%" colspan=2> <table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=4 width="100%" border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td nowrap width="100%"> From: Grubrunner™</td> <td nowrap>Sent: 13/02/2003 1:20 AM</td></tr></tbody></table> <table class=ThmBgStandard cellspacing=0 cellpadding=10 width="100%" border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td> I'm having real trouble using the keyboard and mousebecause of my tricepinjury. It's starting to heal slowly, but the finger movements are real uncomfortable for me.
I'm going to take a few days off from the computer and rest it or it's just not going to heal as quick as it should. I'llanswer those questions that people asked me whenI come back by the weekend or so.
It's turned into a real good discussion this one. Well done all :)
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>
I'm not making fun of Grubrunner, but it seems comical that the biggest, strongest guy here is too injured to come on and type.

Hutch, we attended Titan Health &amp; Fitness on Orrong Rd, Kewdale in Perth for 2 years.

They had their fair share of roid users. Some huge guys there. Awesome looking women too. :p

Not a big gym. Family owned. Mal Miekle was the owner. He died about 2 months into our membership and at one point held the Squat record for WA or maybe Australia. Not sure anymore.

We told them of my wife and sons condition and by the time our personal training started, they knew more about it than we did. They looked after us extremely well. After hearing about places like BC the body club and Renoufs, I was very reluctant to join. But I reckon these small family gyms are the way to go rather the franchised gyms that are around and are interested in your money more than your wellbeing.

C

CanadianSteve

I know all about not being young anymore, and how it takes longer to heal. Again, I don't mean to make light of his injury, it just struck me as comical that he's too sore to use a computer.

Some of you may have read that I had a little heart problem back in November. I seem fine now, and am back doing cardio exercises like riding a stationary bike and other machines, though at lower resistance than before. The cardiologist told me recently I was fine to go back to most activities, but not to lift really heavy weights. He said it was fine to do lighter weights for "toning." Even before I was sick I was mostly doing cardio exercises and lifting weights only sporadically. (I was more into heavier lifting 15-20 years ago, but had gradually moved away from it.) I feel ready to increase my training. Can any of the experts here give their opinions on what the split should be between cardio work and weight training?

Latest posts