What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's your favorite breakfast cereal?

Bulldog Force

Referee
And I'm not just talking health purposes, I'm talking taste.

Health: Corn flakes, Special K, Nutra Grain
Taste: Fruit Loops, Frosty flakes, Milo

roopy

Referee
Depending on how you make it, the most healthy is probably porridge, but not the instant kind, and not with a lot of sugar.
Weet-bix is pretty good - especially the oatbran kind - but it's better with fruit than sugar.

Nutri grain is basically a lolly, not a cereal - but some of the worst are the cheap toasted muselis, which are not only full of sugar but fat as well - some of the really nasty ones even have saturated and trans fats - you might as well have chips cooked in butter for breakfast.

TheParraboy

Staff member
once a week i look forward to bacon and eggs with grilled tomato with buttered toasted thick bread

Bulldog Force

Referee
once a week i look forward to bacon and eggs with grilled tomato with buttered toasted thick bread
Good thing you don't have that everyday ;-)

Back on topic, for cleaning out the system, bran is a good way to go, however, most people don't like brain simply because of the taste. An alternative however, when I have bran, thinly sliced banana on top and a little drizzle of honey - not too bad, and makes a whole lot of difference taste wise. Low-fat milk, (ideally heated in winter) and there you go. A simple way of making bran tasty :D

roopy

Referee
The big fad in America at the moment is turkey bacon, which is a very low fat meat product that is cured the same way as pork bacon and apparently tastes almost identical to the non fat parts of bacon.
You ca actually have a very healthy version of bacon and eggs using turkey bacon and wholemeal bread without butter.
Might not be as nice, but you could probably eat it every day if you wanted to, guilt free.

roopy

Referee
A good cereal is an incredibly cheap, easy and healthy meal.

A bowl of weetbix and milk costs cents, and it could well have the same calorie value as a meal of meat and veg that could cost up to 10 or 15 dollars, but would actually be healthier for you due to less saturated fats and more fibre etc.

Poor cereals such as fruit loops or nutri grain or a cheap toasted museli are still a very cost effective way to feed yourself.

Pasta is a bit similar. People think they need a lot of expensive sauce and cheese with pasta, but you don't, you just need a bit of sauce for taste and a big serve of cheap and nutritious pasta for cents a serve.

adamkungl

Immortal
cereal just doesn't satisfy my for any reasonable amount of time. If I eat cereal for breakfast I'm hungry 3 hours before lunchtime.

I tend to stick with cooked meats and/or eggs for brekkie. Like adamkungl, cereal just doesn't stop me being hungry for a long time, and I will end up eating the nearest garbage available (which at work is either a packet of chips or the takeaway store next door).

Joker's Wild

Coach
most people don't like brain simply because of the taste

il_fullxfull.96601584.jpg

melon....

Coach
Depending on how you make it, the most healthy is probably porridge, but not the instant kind, and not with a lot of sugar.
Weet-bix is pretty good - especially the oatbran kind - but it's better with fruit than sugar.

Nutri grain is basically a lolly, not a cereal - but some of the worst are the cheap toasted muselis, which are not only full of sugar but fat as well - some of the really nasty ones even have saturated and trans fats - you might as well have chips cooked in butter for breakfast.

Agree with roops. Nuti-Grain is full of sugar. How many people actually read the box?

Jono078

Referee
Mine usually consists of 2 slices of bread with Nutella on it..

Good or bad? I'm not sure, does a decent job though.