What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When Gareth widdop returns

possm

Coach
I would like to see Mann 6 Widdop 7.
Or as Dugan is leaving next year, WHEN he gets his next injury this year and is on the sidelines for another month I wouldn't mind seeing Mann trailed at 1 to see if he is a suitable replacement.
I must admit, he looks dangerous when he runs the ball. He did push the pass a couple of times last night and doesn't look to be a natural kicker but he played very well. Great vision as you said.
And great defence.

Minh

First Grade
McCrone will become one of our best players in the backend of the season when Widdop comes back!
He will be totally relieved from having to steer the team around and having the kicking duties that he will just enjoy the freedom of a simple game plan.. He would have learned a lot from the past 4 weeks - he said himself last week was his worst half of football in his career.. Funny thing is when he runs the ball he's quite dangerous and can set up a try or two as witnessed last night..

Mann is not the solution at 7..

Mc Crone has not let us down bar his kicking game he has done the job.....I rate Mann as highly as anybody on here but Mc Crone provides us with stability. Without Mc Crone in the team the last 4 weeks we would have been soundly beaten by all teams....

BrissyRedV

Bench
I would like to see Mann 6 Widdop 7.
Or as Dugan is leaving next year, WHEN he gets his next injury this year and is on the sidelines for another month I wouldn't mind seeing Mann trailed at 1 to see if he is a suitable replacement.
I must admit, he looks dangerous when he runs the ball. He did push the pass a couple of times last night and doesn't look to be a natural kicker but he played very well. Great vision as you said.
The partnership that Widdop and McCrone had prior to Widdops injury was going well and McCrones ineptitude with the boot wasn't felt as much. At this point, I would be happy to see if they can click again. The most obvious position that Mann will play on Widdops return is centre whilst Aitken is out. But as soon as the opportunity arises, I want him at fullback to see how he goes. Either Mann, Field, Dufty or Marsters need to be given a go especially with Dugan moving on and just in case of a long term injury.

Frank Facer

First Grade
If I was our coach I would definitely play Mann at halfback, when Widdop returns. Mann would give us 2 halves who can create and who are a threat when they run the ball. Mann - Widdop would add an extra dimension to our attack. Mann at fullback could also add another dimension to our attack. At full strength I would pick.

1 Dugan
2 Nightingale
3 Milne
4 Lafai
5 McDonald
6 Widdop
7 Mann
13 DeBelin
12 Thompson
11 Frizzell
10 Packer
9 McInnes
8 Vaughan

14 Simms
15 Ahmau
16 Sele
17 Aikten

I wish that Mary would have brought Field on a lot earlier last night. We had the game won a long way out. Mary should have brought Field on with 15 to 20 minutes to go and played him fullback.

Ted bartolo

Juniors
H
If I was our coach I would definitely play Mann at halfback, when Widdop returns. Mann would give us 2 halves who can create and who are a threat when they run the ball. Mann - Widdop would add an extra dimension to our attack. Mann at fullback could also add another dimension to our attack. At full strength I would pick.

1 Dugan
2 Nightingale
3 Milne
4 Lafai
5 McDonald
6 Widdop
7 Mann
13 DeBelin
12 Thompson
11 Frizzell
10 Packer
9 McInnes
8 Vaughan

14 Simms
15 Ahmau
16 Sele
17 Aikten

I wish that Mary would have brought Field on a lot earlier last night. We had the game won a long way out. Mary should have brought Field on with 15 to 20 minutes to go and played him fullback.
He has done this to all the fringe reserves .It definitely wouldn't help there confidence

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Mc Crone has not let us down bar his kicking game he has done the job.....I rate Mann as highly as anybody on here but Mc Crone provides us with stability. Without Mc Crone in the team the last 4 weeks we would have been soundly beaten by all teams....

Minh, I agree with you about McCrone, although I believe we would have beaten the Warriors without him. He has stepped up his involvement in Widdop's absence. However as you point out his kicking game has let the team down and quite badly at that. I would certainly keep him at 7 - on Widdop's return the captain will resume the more dominant kicking role, although I hope he too can be more consistent with his kicking. McCrone should be restricted to shorter kicks - attacking grubbers or grubbers for touch which gain 20 m would be better than longer kicks down the fullback's throat or over the deadball line. I would be encouraging McInnes to be developing his kicking too.

For me Mann is a must for the team at full strength. He should be tried at right centre - if he can be the missing piece of the jigsaw in the right hand defence then this already impressive team will suddenly be so much harder to beat. If he proves to be the missing link then it would be time for Aitken on his return to come off the bench in the forwards, a role in which I think he will excel. Sadly, while I am prepared to give credit to Mary for much of this year's improvement, we all know he has very little ability to think laterally. As a result it is much more likely he will return to his line-up for the Round 1 match against Penrith except for Mann wearing 17 rather than 18.

slippery5

Juniors
The last game and a half that Mann has played, he has by far been our most dangerous half. His passing game is good, great right foot step and has pretty good vision. I wish he would take more of the kicking responsibility to demonstrate whether he is effective or not, but I assume McGrone does most of the kicking as that is the instructions from Mary. If he is to maintain his position anywhere in the 13, it will most likely be at right centre whilst Aitken is out, but I would like to see him get another proper crack at the 1.
How dare you make zoooo much sense…..

possm

Coach
How dare you make zoooo much sense…..
McInnes passing to McCrone on coach's instructions. Maybe Mary should be giving Mann kicking practice. How about employing Soward to give Mann and McCrone some help. Would not go to waste had he could be a good option next season at fullback.

hewi

Bench
I wonder about Aitken and how long he will be out for. Last time they bought him back to soon and he hobbled during the game, best IMO to bring him back slowly and thru reserves however the longer he's out and the defence is better then the harder it will be for him to get back in.

possm

Coach
I wonder about Aitken and how long he will be out for. Last time they bought him back to soon and he hobbled during the game, best IMO to bring him back slowly and thru reserves however the longer he's out and the defence is better then the harder it will be for him to get back in.
Mary will never select his second favourite - Aitken - over his most favoured Dugan at right centre. Mann should be given first chance at fullback with Field going to 6. Maybe they can have a half a game each at fullback/five-eighth with Dugan backup at right centre.

St Tangles

Bench
I don't think we should lose sight of this year.
I know Packer & Dugan have signed elsewhere for next year but Duges is our best fullback option for this year.
Watching Packer on Friday he is still giving maximum effort & I see Dugan doing the same.

Minh

First Grade
IMO this year we have a terrific chance to win the comp with no real stand out team and we are kind of flying under the radar which is a good thing.....we have the best forward pack and our backline is hugely under rated....

Frank Facer

First Grade
IMO this year we have a terrific chance to win the comp with no real stand out team and we are kind of flying under the radar which is a good thing.....we have the best forward pack and our backline is hugely under rated....
You really think that we can win the comp this year with Mcrone at halfback and Dugan at fullback? I don't. I think we would be a better chance if we played either Field or Dufty fullback and Mann at halfback.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I was hoping this thread would be a DUGAN free zone!!!! Unfortunately his name still seems to re-appear throughout.
I do hope our Captain and kicker in Widdop makes a successful comeback soon and we can return to normality with an eye on the future.

mickeylane

Bench
I don't think we should lose sight of this year.
I know Packer & Dugan have signed elsewhere for next year but Duges is our best fullback option for this year.
Watching Packer on Friday he is still giving maximum effort & I see Dugan doing the same.
100% this will happen....we are a huge chance for a GF appearance - it feels likely

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Mann / Dufty / Field. .need to be tried at fullback while we have some winnable games speed speed speed .scares the other teams .time to give it a go .

Brutalitops

Juniors
Actually I want McCrone to stay 7.

Hear me out.

I don't wanna risk having Widdop starts a new pairing halfway through the season after an injury. We have already seen they pair quite well and Widdop himself is comfortable with this pair.

Latest posts