What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When was the last time we had speed in our backline

BringTheNoise

Juniors
Just some points:

• Hornby was deceptively quick - I recall him scoring a long distance intercept try to win the Charity Shield in the last minute of the game. Obviously not a noted speedster but he was no slouch either.
  • Gasnier was very fast. For the the times he broke the line I don't recall him getting chased down too often.
  • I already posted in the Origin thread, but Frizell ranked the 3rd highest sprint time in Game I SOO this year behind Oates and Tedesco.

Drag Queen

Bench
The real fact is that we can't keep them all and the ones we want to keep will cost far more then the cost us now. With other clubs seeing them play, you can be sure there will be offers made in their final year of contract with us and these offers will be substantially higher than what we are paing them now.
Beg to differ. Most of the other clubs have juniors making the ISP team of the week more often than us. I'm not sure any team would be interested in any of our youngsters right now. Maybe in a year or two but not now possm.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Not sure if many on here remember this bloke Steve Gearin...he came to us from The Dogs in 83/84.......his name speaks for itself not only gears but had overdrive as well

Dannyboy80

Juniors
Seems appropriate I should post this. Great speed in the second and third tries in particular;

This video was up next after I watched the walford one, love it!

Also, it seems really sad that the games as recent as 10 years ago seem to flow so much better than the Storm blueprint wrestling dominated ruck game we now have. So much flair in attack and entertaining. I hope that when the current Melbourne regime finish up, then hopefully our game can find its way back to this!

Beg to differ. Most of the other clubs have juniors making the ISP team of the week more often than us. I'm not sure any team would be interested in any of our youngsters right now. Maybe in a year or two but not now possm.
Making the ISP team of the week is accountable for how good a player is lol now thats funny.

How in the hell do you come to the conclusion that no club would be interested in Dragons juniors based of such a odd statement.

Most of the juniors people speak of are barely 18 and the club wouldn't be using them in that comp for a start.

Illawarra is a developing platform for players so who gives a rats arse if they are named in a team of the week that doesn't mean jack shit.

Drag Queen

Bench
Making the ISP team of the week is accountable for how good a player is lol now thats funny.

How in the hell do you come to the conclusion that no club would be interested in Dragons juniors based of such a odd statement.

Most of the juniors people speak of are barely 18 and the club wouldn't be using them in that comp for a start.

Illawarra is a developing platform for players so who gives a rats arse if they are named in a team of the week that doesn't mean jack shit.
I wasn't speaking of the 18 year olds for a start. Merely saying that a lot of teams have their own young guns coming through. Regardless of what you think of the ISP, looking at the stats of certain players does give an indication as to how they are performing. Either that or the guys aren't playing as a team. I'll happily eat humble pie if other clubs are banging on our door.

possm

Coach
I was talking about a year or two. Trying to make the case that hanging onto juniors instead of recruiting players we need right now is not always a successful strategy.

denis preston

First Grade

This video was up next after I watched the walford one, love it!

Also, it seems really sad that the games as recent as 10 years ago seem to flow so much better than the Storm blueprint wrestling dominated ruck game we now have. So much flair in attack and entertaining. I hope that when the current Melbourne regime finish up, then hopefully our game can find its way back to this!

How ironical that both players would have more of a struggle today due to their body shape. We just have to reduce the interchange further to let all types play the game.