What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where now for the Bid?

Perth Red

Post Whore
With the demise of the Reds senior team (again!) I think the WARL and Reds bidding committee are going to have to take a completely different approach. Up till now they have been focussing on getting fans, members and companies supporting the WA Reds in the hope of building a strong support base for the Reds as we progress through the leagues into the NRL.
I really can't see this happening with a SG side so they are going to have to drop the idea of getting people behind the Reds and refocus on getting WA RL fans behind the bid instead. Here's what I'd do:

1. Change the WA Reds website to a 2012 WA Bid site (similiar to the excellent one the PNG Bid has put together)
2. Support the development of the Red Army as a RL supporters group that can campaign on behalf of the bid from a fans perspective
3. Put the pressure on the ARL/NRL to give u $'s to get the WA Reds snr team back in a comp for 2011
4. really work hard on getting media stories out about the bid, the benefits of WA in the NRL, how we are progressing etc etc. We can't afford to go quiet as other bids start ramping up their PR
5. Use the NRL games in Perth as a vehicle to get across a strong message re our bid. Give out free Tshirts and flags, get 500 fans behind the sticks in 2013 bids Tshirts and holding up banners etc etc.

Goddo

Bench
Dunno red. the Western Reds aren't necissarily the best brand for a Perth NRL team. Firstly, they should be called Perth, not "Western". wtf is "western"?

I think they should scrap the whole Reds thing and concentrate on getting a good corporate support and financial structure like the PNG bid. Mascot and colours should be determined based on Perths colours and history. This should be the last concern, not first.

Think the Titans last expansion. The NRL knocked all bidders back and said they were no good, then Gold Coast went away, did what needed to be done and reinvented the bid and it worked well.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They didn't use the Western Reds, the latest incarnation are the "WA Reds". Perth Reds is SL tainted so will never be used. I can see the benefits of the original tactic re building the bid around a BR then NSW Cup team but now that is gone I agree with you we really need to refocus the bid into other directions.

b0rt

Juniors
i agree with PR.
both his last posts are right.
you all know what the warl is like but....

Latest posts