What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will the Penrith Panthers finish in 2018?

Where will the Penrith Panthers finish in 2018?

• 1st to 4th

Votes: 21 48.8%
  • 5th to 8th

Votes: 20 46.5%
  • 9th to 12th

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 13th to 16th

Votes: 2 4.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ACTPanthers

Bench
I have a gut feeling this is going to be a year we miss the 8. Could just be my pessimistic nature, but just a feeling I have. Fingers, toes and ballsack crossed that I'm wrong

franklin2323

Immortal
They aren't perfect obviously but they are as good or better and they went top 4 in 2017.

They had Aubusson and Matterson in the centres in PF. No reason to say they won't have the same this year. They may be good but every team from last year need to be better.

Who from the top 8 last year isn't atleast as good as last year? That is my point they are no better than last year and others have improved

OldPanther

Coach
They had Aubusson and Matterson in the centres in PF. No reason to say they won't have the same this year. They may be good but every team from last year need to be better.

Who from the top 8 last year isn't atleast as good as last year? That is my point they are no better than last year and others have improved

If someone wants to do an analysis of the top 8 rosters from last year > this year. I can't be bothered.

mxlegend99

Referee
Still haven't fixed holes in their roster though
They improved two of their spine positions. With the best players available in those positions

When second place on the ladder gets strong, it's hard to see them finishing 3 or more positions lower. Not impossible, but it's just hard to imagine.

It won't be long before we see how the new look teams perform though. The world cup has shortened the off-season for us.

mxlegend99

Referee
There's one depressing part in there at the moment:

Panthers

Ins: None

Outs: Sitaleki Akauola (Warrington Wolves), Zach Dockar-Clay (Hull Kingston Rovers), Peta Hiku (Warrington Wolves), Samisoni Langi (Leigh Centurions), Darren Nicholls (Dragons), Matt Moylan (Sharks), Mitch Rein (Titans)

Not perfectly accurate though. TMM didn't make our list as a loss. Yet Hiku did.

So one of them must be a mistake.

edit
I think Hiku is the mistake. Other mid-season transfers didn't appear. SKD is not a loss to Roosters for example.

Pomoz

Bench
There's one depressing part in there at the moment:

Not perfectly accurate though. TMM didn't make our list as a loss. Yet Hiku did.

So one of them must be a mistake.

edit
I think Hiku is the mistake. Other mid-season transfers didn't appear. SKD is not a loss to Roosters for example.
Not one of the players in that list are a great loss with the exception of Moylan. He has been replaced by a better player, a matter of opinion I know, but more importantly, a motivated player. Prima donnas who are fans of JJ Cale music and late nights we can do without in such young team as ours. We need players to set an example for our young roster.

The rest of players are just the usual turn over teams have every year, no reason for alarm. The difference with our club and many others, is we are NSW cup champs and our u21's have been competitive for the last three years. We don't need lots of "Ins", we mostly grow our own. We need a replacement for Moylan. We have one. Move along, nothing to see here.

Not one of the players in that list are a great loss with the exception of Moylan. He has been replaced by a better player, a matter of opinion I know, but more importantly, a motivated player. Prima donnas who are fans of JJ Cale music and late nights we can do without in such young team as ours. We need players to set an example for our young roster.

The rest of players are just the usual turn over teams have every year, no reason for alarm. The difference with our club and many others, is we are NSW cup champs and our u21's have been competitive for the last three years. We don't need lots of "Ins", we mostly grow our own. We need a replacement for Moylan. We have one. Move along, nothing to see here.
People carry on about Moylan (fair enough) but the way Maloney acted last year was much worse. merkin didnt put in all year because he wasn't happy with his wage

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
It is interesting to see what other fans think: here is the current tally for us based on a reddit "Top 8 predictions" thread:

Top 4: 0 votes
5-8: 6 votes
Somewhere in the top 8: 2 votes
Outside the top 8: 6 votes

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
Remember when we came 11th with our under 16's in 2015 and people were predicting us to finish even lower the next year despite all of our players coming back from injury?

Many fans just see we went from 6th to 7th so they think that undoubtedly means we are finished for the next decade.

Last edited:

mxlegend99

Referee
Remember when we came 11th with our under 16's in 2015 and people were predicting us to finish even the next year despite all of our players coming back from injury?

Many fans just see we went from 6th to 7th so they think that undoubtedly means we are finished for the next decade.
We had a long injury list in 2014. When those playerd returned fit in 2015 we were supposed to be better. But injuries struck again. Just to players we couldn't cover.

Although our medical staff need to cop blame for some of them. Jamie Soward especially. We knew he had an issue with his back. Rather than go for surgery in the off-season we decided we will manage it. 2 games into 2015 and he needs surgery. Then we tried rushing him and others back from injuries and they missed more game time as a result. 2015 we took so many risks that backfired with our players health.

That's still an issue here. The club was mad at Moylan for not taking his rehab seripusly. Yet there have been plenty of cases where players returned a bit too early and missed extra game time as a result. The club was happy to gamble on their health.

I just thank god our gamble on Edwards paid off at the end of the year. Although you could tell he was playing on one leg. He didn't damage it further.

tripster

Juniors
It is interesting to see what other fans think: here is the current tally for us based on a reddit "Top 8 predictions" thread:

Top 4: 0 votes
5-8: 6 votes
Somewhere in the top 8: 2 votes
Outside the top 8: 6 votes

Probably better for the team as a whole that we don't start the season with the "Premiership favourites" tag that we were somehow given last year. I don't think that did us any good.