What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will the St George Illawarra Dragons finish in 2018?

Where will the St George Illawarra Dragons finish in 2018?

• 1st to 4th

Votes: 12 12.1%
  • 5th to 8th

Votes: 65 65.7%
  • 9th to 12th

Votes: 19 19.2%
  • 13th to 16th

Votes: 3 3.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

possm

Coach
A decent coach would have had that fixed either at training or pushing players out the door.
We do neither.
I still live in hope of seeing a new coaching staff for 2018. All that is needed is a DUI or a factional dispute and maybe, just maybe we will rid the Club of it's greatest impediment to success in 2018. As things stand I believe we have the squad to possibly make the top 8 but with a new coaching staff, possibly make the top 4.

Redhoopz

Juniors
Sure, but we have missed the 8 most years by a slender margin. A top line coach would more than likely address this as well as having a game plan that suits the strengths of the team.

That as well as players being held accountable. If the players are not performing (two or more games), they should be dropped. Mary picks, sticks too much for my liking.

Hopefully Mary realizes there is more than one way to play the game.

Jersey No 14

Juniors
When all is balanced with what we've got and other teams rotors as optimistic as possible 9 is as best as I can hope for. If we get a couple of injuries (say like the Cowboys) - We're gone.
1 - Cowboys
2 - Parra
3 - Easts
4 - Manly
5 - Penrith
6 - Melbourne
7 - Brisbane
8 - Cronulla
9 - St. George/Illawarra
10 - Canterbury
11 - Souths
12 - Wests Tigers
13 - Knights
14 - Canberra
15 - Titans
16 - Warriors

Drag Queen

Bench
When all is balanced with what we've got and other teams rotors as optimistic as possible 9 is as best as I can hope for. If we get a couple of injuries (say like the Cowboys) - We're gone.
1 - Cowboys
2 - Parra
3 - Easts
4 - Manly
5 - Penrith
6 - Melbourne
7 - Brisbane
8 - Cronulla
9 - St. George/Illawarra
10 - Canterbury
11 - Souths
12 - Wests Tigers
13 - Knights
14 - Canberra
15 - Titans
16 - Warriors
Don't be surprised to see the Tigers in the top 8 with their recruitment and coach. I'd hedge a bet that Newcastle might get up in 2018 too.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Don't be surprised to see the Tigers in the top 8 with their recruitment and coach. I'd hedge a bet that Newcastle might get up in 2018 too.
I reckon Souths might go OK too. They get Gagai, and Inglis will be back. With a new coach who might display some concern for player welfare, their players could respond.

to_ddeath

Coach
Based on best roster - allowing for shit coach & little to no key injuries - 7th-8th.
In reality - much different. That's probably a best case scenario.
Expecting to see more of Latimore/Allgood on the bench than Host/Lawrie/Leilua....exciting times...

#mcgrexit

possm

Coach
Not where i'd like them to finish.:(
With the squad and coaching staff we have at the moment, I think we will finish 7th. If the coaching staff are given the boot early in the season and replaced with Madge or Hasler, our prospects could improve dramatically. So with one of the above taking on the coaching role and with the 17 shown below, I believe we would be a top 4 prospect.

1. Dufty/Field
2. Mann
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Young Gun
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10. Graham
11. Sims
12. Frizell
13. De Belin

14. Walmsley
15. Ah Mau
16. Host
17. Leilua

a. Both Dufty and Field need to bulk up in the off-season. I believe both will make good fullbacks.

b. Lomax to win the right centre position through an outstanding performance in the off-season.

c. One of the many right wingers including our young guns will win the 5 jumper.

d. Walmsley would be an extra dynamic prop in our prop rotation. With increased depth in the prop rotation, Allgood, Latimore, Lawrie and Kerr, we should mitigate the some of problems of last year.

e. If Thompson goes to Manly, and with four forwards on the bench, an opening will exist to bring Host and Leilue onto the bench and Sims into the run-on 17. Much more depth in the forwards in 2018 and so maybe the 'power game' will have a better chance of success.

SEAT 1A

Bench
I truly don't know where we will finish. With Hunt and Graham should put us in the 8.

A few forward signings to get us through the SOO period too keep us there and if the young blokes are up to it, happy days.

If we start slow and have the same finish as last year, bottom 4.

Pump the Bronc's in the first round would be a good start.

Daza06

Juniors
With the squad and coaching staff we have at the moment, I think we will finish 7th. If the coaching staff are given the boot early in the season and replaced with Madge or Hasler, our prospects could improve dramatically. So with one of the above taking on the coaching role and with the 17 shown below, I believe we would be a top 4 prospect.

1. Dufty/Field
2. Mann
3. Lomax
4. Lafai
5. Young Gun
6. Widdop
7. Hunt
8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10. Graham
11. Sims
12. Frizell
13. De Belin

14. Walmsley
15. Ah Mau
16. Host
17. Leilua

a. Both Dufty and Field need to bulk up in the off-season. I believe both will make good fullbacks.

b. Lomax to win the right centre position through an outstanding performance in the off-season.

c. One of the many right wingers including our young guns will win the 5 jumper.

d. Walmsley would be an extra dynamic prop in our prop rotation. With increased depth in the prop rotation, Allgood, Latimore, Lawrie and Kerr, we should mitigate the some of problems of last year.

e. If Thompson goes to Manly, and with four forwards on the bench, an opening will exist to bring Host and Leilue onto the bench and Sims into the run-on 17. Much more depth in the forwards in 2018 and so maybe the 'power game' will have a better chance of success.

I dont think Walmsley is coming. There is a transfer fee on top of his wage to be included in the salary cap.

Excited about the young backs and will be interesting to see how they go in the pre-season

watatank

Coach
Anywhere from 7th to 13th, like the past few years. Many teams competing for the last couple of spots in the 8, I like to think we will jag one but doubt it will happen.

possm

Coach
Interesting Article in the D T where Maloney allegedly states that he is waiting for Penrith to finalize a 200K third Party deal....

We have always known about the rorting of the TPA system however, why is it that the NRL who are employed to monitor such rorts are always saying 'nothing to see here'.

I say cancel the current system and introduce a scheme whereby the player managers are responsible for arranging TPA's related to the player only not for any club contract. These TPA's to be for a set time period and follow the player to whichever club he plays with. So if a TPA is arranged, any club fighting for the players signature will not be disadvantaged; the player gets the TPA and the club gets nothing. Of course the player manager gets his cut and the NRL approves the TPA and confirms it is separate from any club contract.

Gareth67

First Grade
Interesting Article in the D T where Maloney allegedly states that he is waiting for Penrith to finalize a 200K third Party deal....

I always believed that Maloney to be a great link-man , he added the spark to the chooks and sharks. And he will do the same job at the panthers alongside young Nathan Cleary .
Add to that his accurate goal kicking . The man was worth his weight in gold to each team that he has been in , the chooks missed him , as will Cronulla and the winners on this occasion shall be the Panthers . Pity , he would had looked good in our jersey .

Gareth67

First Grade
I believe that we may just scrape into the final eight next season - if we do not suffer any serious injuries , no player burnout like this year . And most importantly of all , the coach finally gets off that big learning curve that he has been on since he was appointed to the position and makes the right calls , uses his bench wisely . In short becomes a mature 1st grade coach .

We fans need a good season next year , we have all suffered enough with the disappointments of the past . Sincerely hope , wish , that it all comes together in 2018 for all concerned , the team , the coach , the fans and also for the Joint Venture itself .