What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where will we finish in 2017?

Where will we finish in 2017?

• Win the Grand Final.

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Lose the Grand Final

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Top 4

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Top 8

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • Bottom 8

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Big Marn

Juniors
I think the Friday Night games are pivotal to our season. If we take to that timeslot, prepare well, and own it, we should be benefiting, result wise, much like the Broncos do.

We still have the severe disadvantage that the Sydney teams dont have in that our Away games are "Away", whereas Sydney teams Away games are next suburb over when they play another Sydney team and there are quite a few Sydney teams. Thats a huge advantage that they have over Canberra, Melbourne, Gold Coast , NQ, Brisbane and us.

Squad wise, we are competitive but not dominant in the pack and we will struggle against some teams especially early on in the heat. Once again, those home games early on are a real bonus.

We get our our own little helping hand with Origin and we tend to maximise at that time of the year.
SK has to figure out what none of the other coaches (save Anderson and Cleary) have managed, in getting consistency across the whole season, not just the middle. If he can do that, then we have a good chance of getting in the 8.

vvvrulz

Coach
I'm worried that despite all the right noises coming from management, nothing has really changed.

If we field our top spine regularly we'll make the eight, but our defence and attitude will be our undoing after that. Finals footy last year was at such a different level, we haven't played at that intensity since Cleary.

Cold Roses

Juniors
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=11807188

"It also extends to the playing group. Over the last five seasons, the team has been guilty of getting ahead of themselves, especially in 2014 and 2016 when they blew great opportunities to make the playoffs from prime positions.

Players lost focus, and forgot that each win makes the next victory even harder. That shouldn't happen this year, with little signs at each training session.

Yesterday there was an easy handling error, after a smooth period of mistake free play.

Some of the players' heads briefly went down, before Kearney barked "Next job ... next job ... what's your response.
"

Little things like this give me hope. I'm not hoping for or expecting a Grand Final appearance this year. I'm hoping that Kearney gets the attitude to preparation and mindset instilled into the club that will allow us to compete in the next few years.

Not predicting a finish for this year. I'll just be happy if heads don't drop when someone spills the pill. It'll be a sign that we're heading in the right direction.

Top 4 if no injuries to key players.
Top 8 if only short term to a key player.
Miss out if long term injury to 1 or more key players.

It really comes down to injuries. As there is a lot of talent in the spine. 4 genuine threats in attack for defence to worry about.

Kearney will need 3 years to get attitudes right, next year cut dead wood not buying the system, year 2 still fighting muscle memory and instilled attitude.
Year 3, well maybe he will need longer, we have had a bad culture for so long!

Big Marn

Juniors
Top 4 if no injuries to key players.
Top 8 if only short term to a key player.
Miss out if long term injury to 1 or more key players.

It really comes down to injuries. As there is a lot of talent in the spine. 4 genuine threats in attack for defence to worry about.

Kearney will need 3 years to get attitudes right, next year cut dead wood not buying the system, year 2 still fighting muscle memory and instilled attitude.
Year 3, well maybe he will need longer, we have had a bad culture for so long!
Yep. I think the owners of the Warriors just want consistency over a decent period of time. Something that they should be getting with the talent they have.

Actually winning a comp is where all the stars need to align perfectly. ie. things like minimum injuries, strongest opponents have devastating injury, good run with refs, no detrimental suspensions of players etc.

Look at Leicester City. Win the EPL as 5000-1 outsiders after the perfect year, and this season they are 1 point from the relegation zone and they have just sacked their coach.

ozenzud

Juniors
Hopefully they can win the first game of the season. That would be a good start. I can't remember the last time we won the first game. That will show a change of direction straight away.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
This is the first year I remember where pundits have decided they've been burned too much by picking us in the top 4/8 and decided, despite our squad, we aren't making it. Fair enough too, and nothing I'm worried by.

One thing I do know is we better be strong by the first bye, because that draw is too plum to f**k up.

JJ

Immortal
6-10 range...

Foran could be huge, but at the end of the day I am not sure anything's changed

Evil_Mush

Juniors
Fringe of top 8 again, whether that's 7-8 or 9-10 will depend on where the roller coaster stops!

Blair

Coach
This line from a report on the recent trial against the Titans had a familiar ring to it:

"After the Warriors were up 10-0 through tries to Isaiah Papalii and Tuimoala Lolohea, John Olive scored right on halftime for the Titans to make it 10-6 at the break, even though it felt like the Warriors should have been up by far more."

That's happened a lot over the last five years, as we know. Look, I'm optimistic about 2017, most of us are. However, I'm wary too. As mentioned, what's really changed from 2016? A new coach, yes, a fit Tuivasa-Sheck, yes. But his defence was diabolical last year. He was actually a genuine problem at the back.

Just to put a reality check on the pumped-up vibes I'm feeling right now in the first game-week of the new season, I trawled through the game day thread from our last NRL game, versus the Eels in Auckland. It's quite comical really, and reminds you of where this positive energy at the start of a new season has been ending up since 2012.

Just keeping it light, I was thinking this morning about how a minute of time could be so equal in measured units when it's applied to these two scenarios:

1. Running late for work in the morning and,
2. In the last minute of a Warriors game when we're grimly hanging on to an 18-16 lead with the opposition encamped in our 20/10 metre line and either bombing to our wings, grubbering through our defensive line, or just spreading it wide?

It is the same measurement of time, isn't it?

Oh yeah, and last Friday the RSL across the road (where I had my own spot near the bar for Warriors games over the last ten seasons) has burnt to the ground. Jokes aside (I was prepared to go through all that Warriors drama again, for another season) I've lost my place to watch games. It's not easy finding a new one. For starters, the RSL usually always had the game on, or if not, I'd just need to ask.

Kat RSL Fire - Edit1.jpg

Latest posts