What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which is the better jersey material?

Which is the better jersey material?

• Knitted Cotton

Votes: 22 43.1%
  • Sublimated Polyester

Votes: 20 39.2%
  • Who gives a rats...

Votes: 9 17.6%

• Total voters

bartman

Immortal
Wow, very surprised this poll is even. Cotton with 3/4 sleeves and a v-neck collar all the way imo, as a fan who wants maximum wear and comfort while supporting their team.

I bought a random cotton style jersey from a sports store in the city in what must've been about 1995, and the jersey is still going strong despite a hell of a lot of wear and travels overseas in it as well. It's still my favourite choice of jersey for casual wear, even though it's not strictly representative of my league team's design.

I've only got one "plastic" modern jersey, and it doesn't keep me warm when required, and doesn't even feel good to the touch (on the inside or outside). I have retired it to the cupboard, and won't be buying another one. I forked out for one of the heritage centenary cotton jersey's last year instead - that will get me by for more than few years I reckon.

The NRL have lost my jersey merchandising buck by veering away from cotton. Who cares what modern materials the players wear - give the supporter the equivalent in quality cotton, v-neck collar and sleeved design!

adamkungl

Immortal
I don't mind either way. The polyester doesn't bother me, but the cotton Australia jersey is slightly warmer and more comfy. Playing, the new stuff all the way.

I have both but mainly wear the cotton as it's warmer. For the players, what ever's best of course but my concern there is that the polyester's smooth surface seems to contribute to lack of ball control when it's tucked up against your chest. The new Penrith kit seems to have rubber pads/spots (I assume that's what they are) in that area to assist handling. Fans can grip multiple schooner glasses when coming from the bar I guess.

Lambretta

First Grade
I The new Penrith kit seems to have rubber pads/spots (I assume that's what they are) in that area to assist handling. Fans can grip multiple schooner glasses when coming from the bar I guess.

Those rubber grips also help when you want to hold someone in a headlock before you ram your knee up into their face. That's an important consideration I'm sure you'll agree.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The players jerseys are not the same as the cheap polyester fans ones anyway. they are made out of high tec breathable materials.

Jason Maher

Immortal
Depends which fan jersey you buy. I know the sponsored Saints jerseys are the same material as the on-field ones, except missing the under-arm panels and some silly little strip of cloth behind the collar at the back (that I'm yet to determine the purpose of). I have a Manchester United jersey that as near as I can tell is the same piece of cloth the players wear (or wore - it's last year's jersey).

The answer to my own question is I like both. I have 4 polyester jerseys - 2 Saints away jerseys (06 Liverpool-like design and 01 stripes), a West Coast Eagles 06 home jersey (brilliant for summer), and a Manchetser United 07/08 home kit. The Unitecd one in particular is very comfortable, as it is a thinner material, and has a little bit more give (i.e. stretch room) for the "roof over the toolshed". The Eagles one of course is nice to wear on a very hot day. I also have 3 knitted cotton jobs - an early 90s Steelers replica that doesn't fit me any more, a 99 Red V, and an 02 NSW Origin jersey. The Red V makes a great jumper when it's cold, and I do wear it by itself when it's not boiling hot (often with the sleeves rolled up). The NSW one has short sleeves and so goes a bit better in warmer weather, but is a bit less useful in colder weather.

Having said that, there is something about knitted cotton with 3/4 length sleeves and either a v-neck or a collar that says "this is a rugby league jersey" much better than fancy-pants "breathable" sublimated polyester. I also agree that any design worth making can be done in knitted cotton. Giving graphic designers a blank canvas with sublimated polyester was a bad idea in my opinion.

Latest posts