What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which QLD bid would you pick ?

Which current QLD bid would you go for ?

• Brothers

Votes: 21 39.6%
  • Redcliffe Dolphins

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • Central Queensland

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • Western Corridor

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Brisbane Bombers

Votes: 5 9.4%

• Total voters

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
I wouldn’t say redcliffe is isolated. Especially after the train line has been put through. When I was going through juniors, redcliffe always had everything. And for that you either went for redcliffe or were against them. I played at Brighton which isn’t far but I despised them.

Growing up playing rl, there was always a rivalry with Brisbane city (met east) v Ipswich (met west). The only issue with western corridor i see is that if not done right it won’t truley engage brisbane region fans because of the rivalry. This is why a brothers/western corridor bid could work. Joins non-broncos fans with west Brisbane fans.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
The great benefit of the Brothers is that their location is pretty loose (like StGeorge) so they can pick their best option and focus on that rather than being stuck in just one place because of their name...

adamkungl

Immortal
The great benefit of the Brothers is that their location is pretty loose (like StGeorge) so they can pick their best option and focus on that rather than being stuck in just one place because of their name...

In what universe is St George a loose location

Perth Red

Post Whore
If we are to get a more risky expansion Club in as one of the two, then the Brisbane bid has to be rock solid and give the NRL the confidence they wont need assistance from the start. Good news is there is 4 years to plan and develop the bids but ideally the NRL needs to make some decisions this year, or next at the latest so that the new clubs can get work underway for 2022/23 entry.

King hit

Coach
I wouldn’t say redcliffe is isolated. Especially after the train line has been put through. When I was going through juniors, redcliffe always had everything. And for that you either went for redcliffe or were against them. I played at Brighton which isn’t far but I despised them.

Redcliffe is just 40 minutes from the Story Bridge and just 20 or so minutes up the road from where I work and is connected by highways, major roads, trainlines etc. It's ludicrous to call it isolated or anything of the like.

Diesel

Referee
I remember when expansion came up last time for discussion (last 5 years) there was a Redlands based bid team. Any idea who would’ve been behind that?

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
If we are to get a more risky expansion Club in as one of the two, then the Brisbane bid has to be rock solid and give the NRL the confidence they wont need assistance from the start. Good news is there is 4 years to plan and develop the bids but ideally the NRL needs to make some decisions this year, or next at the latest so that the new clubs can get work underway for 2022/23 entry.

Yes! I love Redcliffe and they are an amazing local club, well run. But Brisbane 2 needs to be a city team playing out of Suncorp. Redcliffe playing out of a revamped 20k dolphin stadium is another small club in the NRL. Unless they are willing to play at Suncorp but that alienates their fans and kind of removes the Redcliffe from the Dolphins and that would be a tragedy.

siv

First Grade
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/02/01/five-queensland-based-bid-teams-in-nrl-expansion-race/

Interesting to hear your thoughts.

I think in the long run both a northern Moreton Bay Dolphins & a South West Jets could have potential. It covers a good geographic spread leaving the Broncos as the central Brisbane team. Play 8 home games in a stadia in their region with big games and derbies made "event matches" at Suncorp.

In saying that I like the thinking of Brothers taking about 4 games to country Queensland areas.

Central Queensland are just making up the numbers.

Brisbane Bombers are probably the most logical safe bet, but something about them I just don't like. I guess they are too much alike to the Broncos. Which may not be a bad thing too.

Remove the NRL layer and allow QLD Cup to be the premier non NSW Competition

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
In what universe is St George a loose location

You misunderstood. I said StGeorge (the team) HAS a loose location...

Ask just about anyone in sydney and they couldnt tell you where StGeorge (the area) is. A lot probably wouldnt even know its the name of an area and the few who could point to it, couldnt tell you where its starts or ends. Its just a nickname for a vague area.

This means the teams "local area" is fairly loosely defined (they can represent just about anywhere in Syndey, without resort to the generic "Sydney -------") and it serves them very well. The Brothers would benefit from this aswell...

LineBall

Juniors
Brisbane Brothers would be my preferred option. Would work well with a Green and white colour scheme with the leprechaun on their logo too.

Have them play out of Suncorp so that every weekend there is an NRL match in Brisbane.

South Queensland Jets representing Logan and Ipswich areas out to Toowoomba.

Would need a new ground holding 20k with big games at Suncorp.

Getting stadium funding could be a problem with limited content. 2 roar games/season would be a good start plus an NRL commitment to host the all star (or similar concept) yearly.

Beyond that, I'm struggling to make a business case for a new ground

Paddy69

Juniors
Not Redcliffe. Makes no geographical sense.
Bombers is a shit name. That's enough reason to omit.
Brothers might be pretty good. Only concern would be the limiting and potentially divisive Irish/Catholic element.
Jets seems the best bid. Geographically independent of what might then be called Broncos territory, a huge, growing area, potential for links to the south west of the state and unique colours. They just need a good name to replace "western corridor".

Perth Red

Post Whore
Purely on name, colours and geographical,difference to broncos the SQ Jets sounds te best. Now if they have the big money and corporate support behind them is another matter. And similiar issue to Redcliffe, Ipswich is 45km ish and Logan even further from Suncorp stadium, would the fanbase in that area travel to Suncorp for games?

Stallion

First Grade
Purely on name, colours and geographical,difference to broncos the SQ Jets sounds te best. Now if they have the big money and corporate support behind them is another matter. And similiar issue to Redcliffe, Ipswich is 45km ish and Logan even further from Suncorp stadium, would the fanbase in that area travel to Suncorp for games?

Every fortnight. Yes. Its a big event. Just like they travel even longer distances for the Cowboys games. The Northern Brisbane Dolphins scenario is my gut feel. Perhaps the Moreton Bay Dolphins if that covers all the areas in the northern area of Brisbane and surrounds ?

flippikat

Bench
Every fortnight. Yes. Its a big event. Just like they travel even longer distances for the Cowboys games. The Northern Brisbane Dolphins scenario is my gut feel. Perhaps the Moreton Bay Dolphins if that covers all the areas in the northern area of Brisbane and surrounds ?

2nd and 3rd Brisbane teams:

North Brisbane Dolphins (Not sure of team colours, as the Dragons wouldn't like another red & white NRL team.. would Red & Black be a go?)
West Brisbane Jets (green & white, maybe with grey too)

Add those to a re-branded Titans (Keep the Titans name, but them back to the Gold Coast Dolphins bid colours of teal and orange!! No more blue & gold) and Broncos, and there you have SE-Qld sorted.

Stallion

First Grade
2nd and 3rd Brisbane teams:

North Brisbane Dolphins (Not sure of team colours, as the Dragons wouldn't like another red & white NRL team.. would Red & Black be a go?)
West Brisbane Jets (green & white, maybe with grey too)

Add those to a re-branded Titans (Keep the Titans name, but them back to the Gold Coast Dolphins bid colours of teal and orange!! No more blue & gold) and Broncos, and there you have SE-Qld sorted.

I like the idea of 4 clubs in South East Qld. But I suggest with the way the Broncos are that even one more Brisbane team is an issue. It should not be but it is.