What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which team not currently in the top 8 deserves to be there?

gregstar

Referee
Should go back to a Top 5. Will never happen unfortunately.
Totally agree %100.

The best tribute to the best teams in the year. No mediocrity rewarded.

Plus within the 5 team final series, it is worked out fairly as well.

As you said it will never return because of the coin that is earned as well as the fan interest across the clubs for longer in the season.

But it is the best possible system.

Billythekid

First Grade
Totally agree %100.

The best tribute to the best teams in the year. No mediocrity rewarded.

Plus within the 5 team final series, it is worked out fairly as well.

As you said it will never return because of the coin that is earned as well as the fan interest across the clubs for longer in the season.

But it is the best possible system.

So a top 8 system brings in more money and is more interesting for the fans. Who is it actually worse for? Fact is if a team is good enough they'll win whether it's top 8 or top 5. I'm pretty sure I'm the current system the winner has never come from outside the top 4 in either the AFL or NRL so the top teams seem to be favoured well enough.

I don't see what the problem is really. The top teams get a huge advantage, it keeps the season more interesting for longer and it gives a chance for a miracle story from the bottom of the top 8.

Hopefully soon we'll have 18 teams which will make the top 8 even more competitive anyway.

Trent91

Juniors
So a top 8 system brings in more money and is more interesting for the fans. Who is it actually worse for? Fact is if a team is good enough they'll win whether it's top 8 or top 5. I'm pretty sure I'm the current system the winner has never come from outside the top 4 in either the AFL or NRL so the top teams seem to be favoured well enough.

Bulldogs last year finished 7th and won the flag.

Pedge1971

First Grade

I don't see what the problem is really. The top teams get a huge advantage, it keeps the season more interesting for longer and it gives a chance for a miracle story from the bottom of the top 8.

Hopefully soon we'll have 18 teams which will make the top 8 even more competitive anyway.

Pretty sure you are wrong.

Billythekid

First Grade
Why not a top 15 then? It would be extremely rare to win from 15th therefore better.

Because there has to be a cutoff somewhere? Whatever. Umber you choose it'll be an arbitrary line in the sand. I think the top 8 is a good compromise and I like the format that comes with a top 8. I also think it keeps the season competitive whilst still making it difficult to achieve a place in the finals.

Going forward I also think a top 8 would be more appropriate than a top 5 when we have 18-20 teams whenever that happens.

Personally a top 5 leaves too many teams out of the race too early.

Pedge1971

First Grade
Because there has to be a cutoff somewhere? Whatever. Umber you choose it'll be an arbitrary line in the sand. I think the top 8 is a good compromise and I like the format that comes with a top 8. I also think it keeps the season competitive whilst still making it difficult to achieve a place in the finals.

Going forward I also think a top 8 would be more appropriate than a top 5 when we have 18-20 teams whenever that happens.

Personally a top 5 leaves too many teams out of the race too early.

Its a fair point and prob more suited to today. But like others I reallly enjoyed the top 5 concept. A final was a proper contest because u had to aim up most weeks just to get there.

Fangs

Coach
The 8 bar Melbourne is a disgrace. No one deserves to be there. What a shithouse NRL competition 2017 has turned out to be.

Life's Good

Coach
The 8 bar Melbourne is a disgrace. No one deserves to be there. What a shithouse NRL competition 2017 has turned out to be.
A disgrace is a bit harsh. Most teams on any given day can beat anyone. Melbourne just don't have many of the 'any given days' that is the hallmark of those below them because they are so consistent.

Latest posts