What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which teams are likely to improve in the NRL in 2018?

Spot On

Coach
Care to elaborate on this view?

Do I need too???

Two of the games top earners, steering the ship around as play makers for sides that have recruited very well and have pretty good depth. Fans will be expecting to see their team at the business end of the season - surely.

If not, then what more are they hanging out for???

Dragons fans will joke that they want a coach but I'm confident Newcastle has the man to guide the club to success in Brown.

I'm sure you are as well JM.

Johns Magic

Referee
Do I need too???

Two of the games top earners, steering the ship around as play makers for sides that have recruited very well and have pretty good depth. Fans will be expecting to see their team at the business end of the season - surely.

Dragons fans will joke that they want a coach but I'm confident Newcastle has the man to guide the club to success in Brown.

Every club is operating under the same salary cap(supposedly). You are saying that any club who chooses to make their halfback their highest paid player should expect to make top 8?

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Bullshit all round.

You don't even seem to realise that Kasiano has gone there for a start.

Welch made the emerging Queensland squad? So what? Does 20 tackles and 50 metres a game turn you on?

Glasby is a very different style and only played Origin because of Cam Smith - where he proceeded to embarrass himself. Lillyman is a better player and a much better metre eater which they will be looking to gain to replace McLean. No doubt Glasby has a place in the 17 but Lillyman would start over him in my honest opinion, although I can cop if you disagree on that. I don't cop that Lillyman wouldn't figure in the Storm 17 if he signed for them.

Guerra would start over Ken Brom or Hoffman for sure. No other club would touch Hoffman, and Ken has been a bit-part player for years and will continue to be because that's his ceiling.

If you think Bellamy wouldn't pick Guerra who until a few months ago was a piece of furniture for Queensland Origin over them then there is no use even having this conversation because you will just rely on the fact that Bellamy is able to manufacture decent players from nothing. That means they don't NEED Guerra, but doesn't mean they wouldn't love to get him. Stimson, LOL.

Yes I did go off the top off my head and forgot kas but how does that support your arguement? ROFL it only supports mine. Regardless kas won't be starting he will be benchy which puts expectations on NAS to start this season. If Bellamy wanted lillyman he would have got him instead of kas again give yourself an uppercut.

As for Guerra you're scraping the barrel trying to substantiate him for 1 contentious spot at best.

This Year?

Immortal
Do I need too???

We desperately need a coach.

And I'm not joking.

Spot On

Coach
Every club is operating under the same salary cap(supposedly). You are saying that any club who chooses to make their halfback their highest paid player should expect to make top 8?

.... I also pointed out the good recruitment and depth. And yes, a million dollar 7 should go a long way to guiding said team into the top 8. I would think that would be a minimum expectation. How much should a playmaker and organiser be on before that expectation is warranted?

It's a top 8 as well - not a top 5. You need only win half your games to be a pretty good shot at the 8.

The top halves in a good side get that job done.

Johns Magic

Referee
Yes I did go off the top off my head and forgot kas but how does that support your arguement? ROFL it only supports mine.

Just highlights that you are clueless. Doesn't support your argument when Lillyman would still make the 17 which he would.

Regardless kas won't be starting he will be benchy which puts expectations on NAS to start this season. If Bellamy wanted lillyman he would have got him instead of kas again give yourself an uppercut.

Except that Lillyman wouldn't knock Kasiano out of the squad and I never said he would.

As for Guerra you're scraping the barrel trying to substantiate him for 1 contentious spot at best.

But if he got that spot...which he would...Storm wouldn't be a top 8 team by your logic?

How many clubs would have Ryan Hoffman or Kenny Bromwich in their starting team mate?

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Just highlights that you are clueless. Doesn't support your argument when Lillyman would still make the 17 which he would.

Except that Lillyman wouldn't knock Kasiano out of the squad and I never said he would.

But if he got that spot...which he would...Storm wouldn't be a top 8 team by your logic?

How many clubs would have Ryan Hoffman or Kenny Bromwich in their starting team mate?

Yeah forgetting one player whilst dissecting an entire pack whilst you had no balls to do so first really means clueless haha ok whatever tough guy

And conceding a contentious spot for arguement sake for Guerra doesn't mean crap.. Like I've said a few times now it just demonstrates he's arguably your best backrower as opposed to sides with vastly superior talent around him

Difference battling for being competitive vs competiting within the top 8

Johns Magic

Referee
Yeah forgetting one player whilst dissecting an entire pack whilst you had no balls to do so first really means clueless haha ok whatever tough guy

On what f**king planet was I obligated to list the entire Storm squad in saying that Lillyman would make their 17? You think that means you have balls?

If you're gonna do it at least do it right.

And conceding a contentious spot for arguement sake for Guerra doesn't mean crap.. Like I've said a few times now it just demonstrates he's arguably your best backrower as opposed to sides with vastly superior talent around him

Difference battling for being competitive vs competiting within the top 8

Can you just answer the question please.

How many clubs would Hoffman/Kenny Bromwich be in the starting backrow for?

OldPanther

Coach
.... I also pointed out the good recruitment and depth. And yes, a million dollar 7 should go a long way to guiding said team into the top 8. I would think that would be a minimum expectation. How much should a playmaker and organiser be on before that expectation is warranted?

It's a top 8 as well - not a top 5. You need only win half your games to be a pretty good shot at the 8.

The top halves in a good side get that job done.

Most definitely. With big money comes expectations.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Bullshit all round.

You don't even seem to realise that Kasiano has gone there for a start.

Welch made the emerging Queensland squad? So what? Does 20 tackles and 50 metres a game turn you on?

Glasby is a very different style and only played Origin because of Cam Smith - where he proceeded to embarrass himself. Lillyman is a better player and a much better metre eater which they will be looking to gain to replace McLean. No doubt Glasby has a place in the 17 but Lillyman would start over him in my honest opinion, although I can cop if you disagree on that. I don't cop that Lillyman wouldn't figure in the Storm 17 if he signed for them.

Guerra would start over Ken Brom or Hoffman for sure. No other club would touch Hoffman, and Ken has been a bit-part player for years and will continue to be because that's his ceiling.

If you think Bellamy wouldn't pick Guerra who until a few months ago was a piece of furniture for Queensland Origin over them then there is no use even having this conversation because you will just rely on the fact that Bellamy is able to manufacture decent players from nothing. That means they don't NEED Guerra, but doesn't mean they wouldn't love to get him. Stimson, LOL.

I think the answer is somewhere in between you both. Razor says anyone who doesn't play for parra is shit but sorry mate I agree that both players probably wouldn't make the Storm pack. Guerra maybe on the bench but it'd be touch and go. I'd take Glasby over Lillyman and Ken Bron over Guerra any day of the week.

I'm sure they'll both do a job for you guys but you'd hope they can both find 2013 form to be real top line buys.

Johns Magic

Referee
I think the answer is somewhere in between you both. Razor says anyone who doesn't play for parra is shit but sorry mate I agree that both players probably wouldn't make the Storm pack. Guerra maybe on the bench but it'd be touch and go. I'd take Glasby over Lillyman and Ken Bron over Guerra any day of the week.

I'm sure they'll both do a job for you guys but you'd hope they can both find 2013 form to be real top line buys.

Lillyman cracked 130+ metres twelve times last season. A bunch of those quite emphatically. Glasby did it twice. They played 21 games vs 20 and averaged 46 minutes vs 42. Lillyman also made more tackles per game, more metres per run, etc.

The argument is that Lillyman would make the Storm 17. Regardless I would take him over Glasby who is merely a system player.

Ken Bromwich is underrated I think. Would still take Guerra over him who has a much higher ceiling and showed it at times last year. I think he is a good second-rower who has been forced into the lock role at Roosters.

Most important though, how many clubs would Hoffman/Ken Brom start for?

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Lillyman's issue isn't metres gained, it's the fact that a turtle gets off its back quicker than him.

If Lillyman sustains those numbers then the Knights have a problem because it probably means he's still playing 50-60 minutes.

Lillyman could be a great 4th bench prop but that's about it at this stage of his career.

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Long and short of it is if lillyman was still serviceable he'd still be at the warriors,....they didn't even offer him a contract and he wanted to stay

magpie_man

Juniors
Newcastle, Penrith and Wests should improve given their recruitment/decruitment.
I like the Manly and Dragons teams but don't like their coaches so who knows.
Parramatta's, Easts' and Brisbane's backs are spectacular but I worry about their front rows.

BennyV

Referee
Do I need too???

None of us are joking. If we signed a million dollar coach instead of a million dollar halfback, I'd be far happier (and I'm a big fan of Hunt).