What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Which teams are likely to improve in the NRL in 2018?

Life's Good

Coach
Were you saying that halfway through last years comp BV?
The premature resigning of Mary caused a great deal of head scratching amongst the fans given he was coming off a poor 2016 which followed on from a so so 2015(we started well in 2015 only to fade away - a precursor to 2017).
So to answer your question - Yes.

BennyV

Referee
Were you saying that halfway through last years comp BV?
100%, and I was devastated with his premature contract extension, particularly considering the similar capitulation in 2015 after a great start to the season.

The cracks were there to see - he broadcast all pre-season the use of a 'power game' that relied on forward domination and the huge arrivals of McInness and Vaughan certainly assisted that, but Parra showed in Round 2 that all it took was forwards to stand up to us and we'd fall apart, our backs were as slow as a wet week and Mary refused to drop anyone despite some horrid form and the fact that we had some good youngsters champing at the bit for a shot. His use of the bench was abysmal from the start, often leaving 2 players on the bench for upwards of 70minutes (a huge contributing factor to our decline as fatigue and niggling injuries set in). Worst of all, he showed early that he had no Plan B to combat opposition packs standing up to ours. His inability to adapt to a game or an opposition showed a complete lack of tactical or strategic nous from him - even week to week when the pwoer game stopped working (due to fatigue, opposition working us out and losing players) he just kept trotting it out as if it would magically work again.

If you check out the 'Mary re-signs' thread on teh Dragons forum, you'll see a handful of window-lickers trumpeting it as a great move, the vast majority questioning why it happened so early (considering some of the coaches that were likely to be available and the fact that no one else would sign Mary) and a number of us really filthy with the decision.

Life's Good

Coach
Newcastle, Penrith and Wests should improve given their recruitment/decruitment.
I like the Manly and Dragons teams but don't like their coaches so who knows.
Parramatta's, Easts' and Brisbane's backs are spectacular but I worry about their front rows.
Well put. Sums up how I see things shaping up.

BennyV

Referee
You rate Widdop in the halves BV?
He's a good 5/8, but I don't think he's the dominant, controlling half he wanted to be when he came to us. Not particularly flashy but definitely creates for those around him and seems to be in the right place at the right time. Glad we've got him.

You'd like to say Warriors given the quality of the players they've signed, but we know how it usually goes for them (plus Kearney is a f**king dud).

I reckon the Panthers will be challenging and Titans will surprise a few people.

Can't see the Knights doing that well yet. They still severely lack quality across the park.

Unfortunately for us I reckon we're going to drop further - not having Hodgson is too big of a loss.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Yeah we will suck it up. Its the Raiders way. We have another good 8 years of mediocrity to go before we are due a good year again.

mxlegend99

Referee
Newcastle, Penrith and Wests should improve given their recruitment/decruitment.
I like the Manly and Dragons teams but don't like their coaches so who knows.
Parramatta's, Easts' and Brisbane's backs are spectacular but I worry about their front rows.
Panthers released Moylan, TMM, Rein, Hiku and Latu from their 2017 top squad.
They only added Maloney.

Decruitment might be right. But its easily a weaker top squad.

magpie_man

Juniors
Panthers released Moylan, TMM, Rein, Hiku and Latu from their 2017 top squad.
They only added Maloney.

Decruitment might be right. But its easily a weaker top squad.

Fair enough. My comment was more in the mindset of the decruitment of the destabilizing influence in Moylan and his replacement in Maloney.

Pedge1971

First Grade
All 16 hopefully

Agree. I actually think a better question is who will get the dreaded spoon. All 16 teams can fairly claim they will be better next year and with the crazy halfback shit going on there will be quite a few nee combos to test.

I said the Knights would be 10 to 12 and with the horror draw to start the season and so many new combos I will stick with that. That will be a great season for us in my view.

My spoon pick is the Dogs but with a massive caveat that Dean Pay might get that mediocre roster higher. The club just loves adversity!

POPEYE

Coach
Agree. I actually think a better question is who will get the dreaded spoon. All 16 teams can fairly claim they will be better next year and with the crazy halfback shit going on there will be quite a few nee combos to test.

I said the Knights would be 10 to 12 and with the horror draw to start the season and so many new combos I will stick with that. That will be a great season for us in my view.

My spoon pick is the Dogs but with a massive caveat that Dean Pay might get that mediocre roster higher. The club just loves adversity!
The Spoon is a utensil they use in Wankerland . . . it's used to stir the bottom of the pot by those floating near it

Addendum: I have more hope for the Knights than you

Last edited:

Pedge1971

First Grade
The Spoon is a utensil they use in Wankerland . . . it's used to stir the bottom of the pot by those floating near it

Addendum: I have more hope for the Knights than you

Addendum2: old hypocrites never die they just accuse others of bullying and then replicate such behaviour. Too easy.

POPEYE

Coach
Addendum2: old hypocrites never die they just accuse others of bullying and then replicate such behaviour. Too easy.
Fair go ol' mate, because I retaliate better than you and your mate initiate is your problem, not mine . . . I prefer defence over attack

100%, and I was devastated with his premature contract extension, particularly considering the similar capitulation in 2015 after a great start to the season.

The cracks were there to see - he broadcast all pre-season the use of a 'power game' that relied on forward domination and the huge arrivals of McInness and Vaughan certainly assisted that, but Parra showed in Round 2 that all it took was forwards to stand up to us and we'd fall apart, our backs were as slow as a wet week and Mary refused to drop anyone despite some horrid form and the fact that we had some good youngsters champing at the bit for a shot. His use of the bench was abysmal from the start, often leaving 2 players on the bench for upwards of 70minutes (a huge contributing factor to our decline as fatigue and niggling injuries set in). Worst of all, he showed early that he had no Plan B to combat opposition packs standing up to ours. His inability to adapt to a game or an opposition showed a complete lack of tactical or strategic nous from him - even week to week when the pwoer game stopped working (due to fatigue, opposition working us out and losing players) he just kept trotting it out as if it would magically work again.

If you check out the 'Mary re-signs' thread on teh Dragons forum, you'll see a handful of window-lickers trumpeting it as a great move, the vast majority questioning why it happened so early (considering some of the coaches that were likely to be available and the fact that no one else would sign Mary) and a number of us really filthy with the decision.

I come for the analysis, I stay for the correct usage of “champing”.

Tip o’ the cap, good sir. :tophat: