What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

White Plains Wombats

langpark

First Grade
Some guy's trying to promote his new team in the USA and it somehow immediately turns into an Aussie vs English fight club. Brilliant. :lol:

deluded pom?

Coach
A "throwaway" comment that follows a theme on this board championed by one group composed mainly of English, that if it's Australian/NRL it's wrong, or not enough, or to much, or a wast of time, or out place, or designed to give Australia an unfair advantage, etc, etc.

Of course this attitude ignores the fact that Australia and/or the NRL don't have to do anything outside the boarders of Australia, so if we do anything at all internationally it is going above what is expected.

Then if anyone calls you on this attitude or questions your reasoning as to why you hold this attitude you start calling them paranoid or saying that Australians have a chip on their shoulder, etc, etc, instead of defending your attitude or explaining it, or whatever.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts/fears.

Evil Homer

Staff member
A "throwaway" comment that follows a theme on this board championed by one group composed mainly of English, that if it's Australian/NRL it's wrong, or not enough, or to much, or a wast of time, or out place, or designed to give Australia an unfair advantage, etc, etc.

Of course this attitude ignores the fact that Australia and/or the NRL don't have to do anything outside the boarders of Australia, so if we do anything at all internationally it is going above what is expected.

Then if anyone calls you on this attitude or questions your reasoning as to why you hold this attitude you start calling them paranoid or saying that Australians have a chip on their shoulder, etc, etc, instead of defending your attitude or explaining it, or whatever.
Look, it's not difficult. If a hurling team set up near you in Australia and started calling themselves the Shamrocks you would probably think it was an Irish expat thing and might be less likely to engage with the team or take an interest than if they had a more general name. And if for some reason you did decide to take up hurling, you might feel a little silly or out-of-place as an Australian playing an 'Irish' sport. The same thing applies to RL in America because unlike you, people in America are not Australian and do not know know what RL is. If you present the sport as an Australian cultural thing then nobody will care because nobody in America cares about Australian culture or sports, just like you don't care about Irish culture or sports. It's nothing to do with England or the ARL or the NRL, nobody has even mentioned that shit. It's to do with the fact that if you present something as a niche cultural thing for an obscure foreign culture then nobody outside of that culture is going to care. If you still don't understand then that's your problem because it really has been explained as clearly as possible.

deal.with.it

Juniors
I disagree. I've read your argument, but simply disagree. I also disagree with the hurling and shamrocks analogy. But i'm probs in the minority.

In regards to aprlc/rlef argument, you've twisted my words. What i said is that the arlc/nrl has done more in the pacific than the rfl/sl has in europe.

And i stand by that from knowing exactly what is happening in the pacific from the nrl.

I commend the work of the rlef and danny k.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I disagree. I've read your argument, but simply disagree. I also disagree with the hurling and shamrocks analogy. But i'm probs in the minority.

In regards to aprlc/rlef argument, you've twisted my words. What i said is that the arlc/nrl has done more in the pacific than the rfl/sl has in europe.

And i stand by that from knowing exactly what is happening in the pacific from the nrl.

I commend the work of the rlef and danny k.
Comparing the RFL and the ARL/NRL isn't accurate because the RFL set up and initially funded the RLEF, which does all the international development work and now is mostly self-sufficient. The RFL don't do anything themselves and SL doesn't exist as a body, so in that respect yes, the ARLC/NRL does more.

In what way do you disagree with the analogy? You can't just disagree with something without having any reason or argument to the contrary. You can say that it won't make that much difference, which it probably won't because it's just a nickname, but then I'm not the one who turned this into a long-winded debate.

deal.with.it

Juniors
I disagree that the nickname would have the effect you described. I wouldn't react that way, but i may br in the minority.

Yes the rfl imitially funded the rlef. But the rlif actually funds the rlef now. That pays for danny's salary and a few part timers.they then apply for external funding.
Whilst the rlif also funds the aprlc, the nrl is actually doing even more in the pacific.

I'm sure scotland, wales and ireland would love a bit more $ from the rfl.
They sure as hell don't much at all from the rlef.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I disagree that the nickname would have the effect you described. I wouldn't react that way, but i may br in the minority.

Yes the rfl imitially funded the rlef. But the rlif actually funds the rlef now. That pays for danny's salary and a few part timers.they then apply for external funding.
Whilst the rlif also funds the aprlc, the nrl is actually doing even more in the pacific.

I'm sure scotland, wales and ireland would love a bit more $ from the rfl.
They sure as hell don't much at all from the rlef.
But the RFL founded and financed the RLEF, it wouldn't exist without them. The NRL's Pacific strategy is fine but you claimed that the ARL have done more than the RFL has and that's just not true, even though the NRL has infinitely more resources than the meager RFL development budget. I don't even like the RFL, I don't know why you think I do, but this is like comparing the charity contributions of a millionaire and a guy on benefits, and the guy on benefits still ends up contributing more.

(and funding international RL is definitely not charity BTW but the short-sighted idiots in charge probably see it that way)

The Partisan

The Wombats you say .....

I'd say a nice wattle green jersey with a couple of gold / orange 'V's would be a good look. :D

Or perhaps a black jersey with white V's or a White jersey with a red and blue V. :roll:

(Actually probably best they play nude ...so as not to stir up any pathetic arguments over the choice of colours !)

deal.with.it

Juniors
But the RFL founded and financed the RLEF, it wouldn't exist without them. The NRL's Pacific strategy is fine but you claimed that the ARL have done more than the RFL has and that's just not true, even though the NRL has infinitely more resources than the meager RFL development budget. I don't even like the RFL, I don't know why you think I do, but this is like comparing the charity contributions of a millionaire and a guy on benefits, and the guy on benefits still ends up contributing more.

(and funding international RL is definitely not charity BTW but the short-sighted idiots in charge probably see it that way)

Simply put, i don't particularly enjoy reading that the arl/nrl does nothing. There is a hatred of the arl by members in this forum. The same people who don't actually know what is going on.

Richard Lewis, Kevin Rudd, Maurice Watkins, Danny K are doing/have done tremendous work.
The RFL decided to fund one rlef employee. This one guy has done terrific work. The rlef is now funded by the rlif.

The NRL/ARL decided to (along with funding the rlif and aprlc) to basically do the job of the aprlc.
Until the rlif gets a second property and can employ others at the rlef and aprlc, both bodies are fairly stagnate outside the coaching/ref courses they do.
This is brilliant work sure, but to match other sports we need more man power.
If the rfl maintained their scotland funding, that nation wouldn't look so pathetic heading into the four nations.

Maybe you dont hate the arl/nrl, maybe you dislike the rfl, but as an australian i don't feel like nicknames are that important.

Choo Choo

Juniors
The Wombats you say .....

I'd say a nice wattle green jersey with a couple of gold / orange 'V's would be a good look. :D

Or perhaps a black jersey with white V's or a White jersey with a red and blue V. :roll:

(Actually probably best they play nude ...so as not to stir up any pathetic arguments over the choice of colours !)

Luke and Matt are teaming with the White Plains Union Club for support and to build their player base. Should be a strong North East conference this summer.

Fatwing15

Juniors
Congrats to the Wombats. I look foward to seeing you guys on the pitch this summer.

Are they associated with the Coogee Wombats that came over a couple years ago?

Footyhead2

Juniors
No, it's just not a great idea to have a name transplanted from a different and foreign culture, it risks pigeon-holing the sport and alienating the people that you're trying to attract. Similar to MLS teams having names like Real Salt Lake and Sporting Kansas, it just sounds awkward. Or London Broncos if you want a RL example, a great American/Australian name that did nothing to engage with anyone in London.

For those people who think the Wombats aren't a bunch of transplanted Aussies, did you hear the coach's rant at half-time when they were playing the Fight a couple of weeks ago? Look at what he said and you judge for yourself...

"Bloody hell mate, I?m a stunned mullet. Youse blokes are a bunch of bludgers droppin the bundle out there sarvo. We?re not getting back in the saddle without ramloads of elbow grease and not a poke in the eye with a blunt stick by a bunch a twinkies. If doin the hard yards is not ya cuppa tea then you got tickets on yaself, shoot through cause we got buckleys ya bunch a galahs. Now you sheilas better pull ya finger out outta ya arse, quit being knackered, do ya block out there and gimme a fair crack of the whip."

spinnerhowland

Juniors
Next time I start a team, I am going to name them the BIG DICKS. That way fans can either think we all have large Units (Hopefully the Lady Fans) OR they will think we just act like Dicks.
Either way I bet we get noticed, sell a ton of Merchandise, and likely get a sponsorship from Trojan Magnum Condoms.
Theme song will be Baby Got Back by Sir Mixalot
Logo could be interesting.
You know it's all in the marketing, and I know you all want a shirt that has the Big Dicks logo on it, and the slogan, "Our Anaconda don't want none, unless you got Buns Hun"