What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are the NRL's richest clubs?

Generalzod

Immortal
The gym itself is impressive but the added extras take it to another level with the dumbbells fitted with the Broncos logo.

How will the other clubs compete?
Whoopty f**king doo, Clubs are really worried that the Broncos have their insignia plastered on their dumbbells lol

Just Visiting

Juniors
It is pretty flash, go there with the kids and kick the ball around of an afternoon sometimes. Not sure what difference it would make for the players, I guess having a pool on site might help. The old TAFE was doing nothing so it is an improvement on that and another field is better than apartments but that money would have been better spent on improving the leagues club, it has really gone downhill in the last few years and seems pretty empty most of the time.

Wondering which NRL clubs operate off the biggest budgets, have the biggest revenues in the comp or general financial soundness? Appreciate this will be guesstimate as not all clubs publish their accounts. Here's a guestimate to get the arguments flowing (and before Sharks fans start crying in their apartment brochures I am basing this on now not in a few years) based on various news reports of financial performances of clubs and some annual reports where available.

1. Brisbane - Big Money backers, News Ltd owned, biggest money spending supporter base
2. Parramatta - Leagues club cash rich and putting in, large fanbase, limited corporate appeal at this time and run at massive losses covered by LC
3. Melbourne - Strong financial backers, large money spending fanbase, strong corporate backing
4. Roosters - Strong financial backers, strong corporate backing
5. Raiders - Strong League club backers putting cash in, limited fanbase
6. Bulldogs - Leagues club backing, large supporter base, strong sponsorship portfolio
7. Warriors - Strong corporate backing, large fanbase, one of the few to make a profit in recent times
8. Penrith - Large Leagues club backing but history of small football dept revenue
9. Cowboys - Strong supporter base and corporate backing, made one of the smallest losses in 2016 of the loss making clubs
10. Cronulla - Years of losses but new development clearing debts and improving long term financial picture
11. Souths - Large fanbase and rich owner but seem financially precarious to bad seasons on the field as revenue primary fan generated
12. Manly - Rich owners, small fanbase, poor corporate facilities impact
13. St's - League club funding drying up, running at losses, good corporate support

TBD -
Titans - New owners, very small fanbase, on the nose with corporates for now
Newcastle - New owners with Leagues club cash behind them, large fanbase, long history of financial strife
Wests - Newish owners, leagues club backing, sizeable supporter base, stadium issues impact game day revenue generation

Weird list. One team is "rich" because of it's supporter base, the next because it has a big leagues club, the next because it operates at a profit and ironically it shows how out of touch you are by holding so much stock in crowds, merch etc.

A profit doesnt show any level of wealth. It shows your business is well run, sure, but ending the year in the black with less money to spend than other clubs is useless.
A leagues club doesnt indicate wealth. Not much chop if the leaguesie turns a big revenue but give sweet f all to the football operations; which happens.
Big spending fan base doesnt indicate wealth- revenue derived from this, while helpful, is a fraction of corporate sponsorship revenue.

The only true metric on how "rich" a club is, is the operating budget of the football department. Which is a net sum of all revenue streams minus operating costs and a good indicator of how well the business is run.

On that, it goes

Brisbane

Daylight

the Storm

More daylight

Every other club bar the Titans, the Dragons, Wests and Newcastle at a relatively interchangable level.

More Daylight

Titans, Dragons, Wests and Newcastle.

Holding the bottom of the tree are the Titans. There were rumours in clubland that they didnt even have the budget to fill out the salary cap. St George weren't that bad but they were close.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Weird list. One team is "rich" because of it's supporter base, the next because it has a big leagues club, the next because it operates at a profit and ironically it shows how out of touch you are by holding so much stock in crowds, merch etc.

Big spending fan base doesnt indicate wealth- revenue derived from this, while helpful, is a fraction of corporate sponsorship revenue.

Not as far off as you might think, and if the NRL clubs ever get as popular as AFL clubs it will totally swamp corporate income.

Take the panthers in 2015.
Sponsorship $6.6million
Income from gate takings and Merch $3.9mill plus membership revenue and game day catering and beer sales which they don't show in their accounts as line items unfortunately.

And this would be one of the smallest fanbase clubs. If you look at the books of the big supporter base clubs they are generating some very hefty revenues from fans.
Essendon for example in 2014
Membership $10.9ill
Merch sales $3.2mill

Not as far off as you might think, and if the NRL clubs ever get as popular as AFL clubs it will totally swamp corporate income.

Take the panthers in 2015.
Sponsorship $6.6million
Income from gate takings and Merch $3.9mill plus membership revenue and game day catering and beer sales which they don't show in their accounts as line items unfortunately.

And this would be one of the smallest fanbase clubs. If you look at the books of the big supporter base clubs they are generating some very hefty revenues from fans.
Essendon for example in 2014
Membership $10.9ill
Merch sales $3.2mill

Those are revenue figures, not profit.
Sponsorship is all profit. Merch profit margins are low. The robbers at the NRL take 10% off the sale price of every licensed item and the terms of sale are pretty horrendous so the money in the bank from merch sales is a fraction of the revenue.
Gate takings is largely the same.

So while the revenue of those amounts look largely comparable, the impact on the bottom line is vastly different.

Hawkins

Juniors
On that, it goes

Brisbane

Daylight

the Storm

More daylight

Every other club bar the Titans, the Dragons, Wests and Newcastle at a relatively interchangable level.

More Daylight

Wait are Canberra on the good or bad side of daylight. We all have more money than the rest of Australia, happy to chip in a little.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Those are revenue figures, not profit.
Sponsorship is all profit. Merch profit margins are low. The robbers at the NRL take 10% off the sale price of every licensed item and the terms of sale are pretty horrendous so the money in the bank from merch sales is a fraction of the revenue.
Gate takings is largely the same.

So while the revenue of those amounts look largely comparable, the impact on the bottom line is vastly different.

You are incorrect, suggest you look at the accounts and the amount clubs spend on both attracting and delivering on sponsorships. You'd be surprised what it costs.I hear what you are saying re revenue v profit though.

What
You are incorrect, suggest you look at the accounts and the amount clubs spend on both attracting and delivering on sponsorships. You'd be surprised what it costs.I hear what you are saying re revenue v profit though.

What do I need to look at? I’ve actually worked in commercial operations in an NRL club.

carcharias

Immortal
Ha
Perth red telling Frank he is wrong.
One is a bloke in Perth with no team to follow...and no games to even go to.

The other co hosts a tv show about rugby league.
Hahaha

I reckon I know which one knows what they are talking about.

Ha
Perth red telling Frank he is wrong.
One is a bloke in Perth with no team to follow...and no games to even go to.

The other co hosts a tv show about rugby league.
Hahaha

I reckon I know which one knows what they are talking about.

I had two weeks selling advertising for the show in the commercial dept of the club. Think I asked them any questions?

kbw

Bench
That Broncos one sounds good, but it is amateur hour compared to the Penrith set up. I am close to the furthest thing from a Penrith fan you will get but I was liucky enough to be given a tour of their facilities and they are something special. Much bigger than anything I have seen at any other club and the electronic measurement system are beyond your imagination

macavity

Referee
More Daylight

Holding the bottom of the tree are the Titans. There were rumours in clubland that they didnt even have the budget to fill out the salary cap. St George weren't that bad but they were close.

Thats Oldcastle. Newcastle will be a different beast moving forward.

$20-25mil centre of excellence on the way.

Latest posts