What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who do we need to recruit in 2018?

Tiger05

First Grade
you need top quality players who are either on the benches or cant get a run because of the quality of their teams.

A good squad rather than a decent team with a couple of superstars. We don't even have the superstars though. These guys have been overpaid for a long time and think they are superstars. Teddy is a great player. Woods is average. Moses is great for 20 minutes here and there and terrible the rest of the time.

Tiger05

First Grade
I'm just going to wait and see who we get. I'm hopeful we can have a decent team over the next couple of years and I really hope that clubs have to let players go because they will already be over the salary cap.

Shredder

Juniors
We just need one decent name to agree to come on board.

Players would be looking at us from the outside purely through the media's eyes, which is only fair - how else would they be able to see whats going on?

We need one name player to agree to come to us and their will be a flood.

Remember, this is these guys careers - its not JUST about the cash its about the level of success and the culture. To me Reynolds or Dugan are the key. If we can convince one or both of these guys to sign on the line it will show the world we are serious.

The list of decent to good off contract players is contracting fast - and we are missing out.

There is no point having $3.5mln to spend if no-one wants it.

Tiger05

First Grade
Shredder - I disagree. We will get players. Newcastle got Ponga from the Cowboys.

I think it's more about getting a bunch of quality players. Money talks as well. I think we will though need to be patient.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Cleary helped a lot of players at the Warriors and Penrith and has friends still at the Roosters.

He gets a few from those clubs and it will be enough to encourage others to come on board.

Shredder

Juniors
Yeah fingers crossed -

05 we have a grand total of 12 players signed for near year. And given the results in the lower grades, we dont have many, if any juniors to call up.

There arent many top line players left.

I would hate for us to have gone through this only to sign yet another depth team.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Cowboys would probably part ways with him too as they'll be keen to hang on to Hess and make him a regular starter.

axl rose

Bench
Surely Ethan Lowe wouldn't be happy playing from the bench, get into his manager's ear. 80 mins, good lines and kicks goals. Would be perfect.

This, on contract but that means nothing anyway. A club like Cows cant sign thier 35 year old half for a million and expect to keep the rest under the cap.

Tiger05

First Grade
Yeah fingers crossed -

05 we have a grand total of 12 players signed for near year. And given the results in the lower grades, we dont have many, if any juniors to call up.

There arent many top line players left.

I would hate for us to have gone through this only to sign yet another depth team.

I understand but we don't want to blow our wads and pick up players that aren't worth the money. We need to buy players. We have 3 guys and possibly more to replace just to stay even.

I would be looking everywhere including reserve grade and u 20's.

Tiger Woody

Juniors
I understand but we don't want to blow our wads and pick up players that aren't worth the money. We need to buy players. We have 3 guys and possibly more to replace just to stay even.

I would be looking everywhere including reserve grade and u 20's.

i would be looking at England as well...

Everyone is mentioning Reynolds but I would concentrate on Shaun Johnson. I'd play him at 5/8 as a running player (just like Benji) and leave the organising up to Brooks. Johnson has the relationship there already with Cleary and because of the success they shared you could only imagine it was a happy one. If he stays at the Warriors he will have do everything again next year. Reynolds would be next on line if that play didn't work out but not at $850K which I understand is his asking price. $600-650K tops for mine. I don't think it would cost too much to pick up Tyrone Roberts from the GC as a fullback who can kick goals.

Most of our money needs to be spent getting some good forwards. ET and Matt Mc are priority re-signings. I see ET as our Captain. Signing these should not cost all that much. On the market Luke Lewis would be my number one target. He is a proven winner, never goes missing, and is a consummate professional. When he's around the ball things always seem to happen. I'd then look to see what the dogs do with Graham and Tolman, or whoever they let go.

There's plenty more I could mention but these are the initial moves I'd make in charge.

Basically I would take anyone who expresses a desire to play for the tigers, has at least 75 games of firsts under their belt, and can tackle.

Tiger Woody

Juniors
Everyone is mentioning Reynolds but I would concentrate on Shaun Johnson. I'd play him at 5/8 as a running player (just like Benji) and leave the organising up to Brooks. Johnson has the relationship there already with Cleary and because of the success they shared you could only imagine it was a happy one. If he stays at the Warriors he will have do everything again next year. Reynolds would be next on line if that play didn't work out but not at $850K which I understand is his asking price. $600-650K tops for mine. I don't think it would cost too much to pick up Tyrone Roberts from the GC as a fullback who can kick goals.

Most of our money needs to be spent getting some good forwards. ET and Matt Mc are priority re-signings. I see ET as our Captain. Signing these should not cost all that much. On the market Luke Lewis would be my number one target. He is a proven winner, never goes missing, and is a consummate professional. When he's around the ball things always seem to happen. I'd then look to see what the dogs do with Graham and Tolman, or whoever they let go.

There's plenty more I could mention but these are the initial moves I'd make in charge.

Basically I would take anyone who expresses a desire to play for the tigers, has at least 75 games of firsts under their belt, and can tackle.

Not interested in Tolman....hes one of the big 3 as in soft props in my book...
Woods,Mannah and Tolman......no intimidation

Vozzy

Juniors
The origin period for us is crucial not just for wins against weekend teams but it will be a good test to play without tedasco and woods more likely.

It's a chance for someone to step up and show whether they can handle it. I would give a young guy a shot. Yes we should be thinking of this year but if someone can step up and prove we don't need to pay overs for someone would be great.

Give 2 young guys 3 chances.

Vic Mackey

Referee
if we cant get a decent fullback for 2018 i wouldnt go buy one for the sake of it, id give nofa a crack there and see how he goes. he wont be a teddy style fullback but more like a dugan type one.

Tiger Ted

Bench
if we cant get a decent fullback for 2018 i wouldnt go buy one for the sake of it, id give nofa a crack there and see how he goes. he wont be a teddy style fullback but more like a dugan type one.
I've got no doubt the fickle dog Tedesco cost us papenhuyzen coz there's no way we wouldn't have re-signed papenhuyzen w/out an undertaking by the dishonourable gump that he was remaining with us.The contracts saga went pear-shaped when the tigers & rightfully so didn't give the fraudster & phantom life coach of the puppets a contract.

Latest posts