What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who do we need to recruit in 2018?

Das Hassler

Bench
Suli maybe a better option at centre,he seems to struggle to get airborne when contesting the highball,so I would sign another winger and at least 3 or 4 forwards with mongrel in them.

At "least" 3 or 4 forwards with mongrel in them?...so maybe even 5 or 6? I agree with the desire but where do we find these great ( and affordable) forwards that nobody else wants?...also to those complaining about the money being paid to Suli..would 100k less per season have been more acceptable?...if so then he'd probably be at the dogs and the predictable complaints would be why does this ridiculous club keep letting talent slip through it's fingers...they did well to hang onto him..cant have it both ways

On that subject Das, we also can't keep them all e.g.

MELBOURNE have begun planning for life after Billy Slater by signing boom Wests Tigers fullback Ryan Papenhuyzen to a long-term deal from next season. No less than six clubs were chasing his services.
Read that again, 6 clubs.

Over the last few years we have let a few go, again we had to look in the crystal ball and decide:

The only regular first graders we have released are Farah, Sironen, Taupau, Austin, Bodene Thompson & Korobete (any more)

Austin or Moses? - The fact that Moses was a junior and had played along side Brooks was no doubt an important factor - hindsight though, I wish it was Austin leading the backs around.
Te Maire Martin or Brookes/Moses ?

Who from the reserves have gone and gone onto play 1st grade?
Addo Carr yes but what about,
Rod Griffin, Manaia Cherrington, Manaia Rudolph they are playing in the NSW Cup,

Perhaps Nathan Brown might like to prove that he is a 1st grader, he did OK at Souths and he might come cheap.

Das Hassler

Bench
IMO the most urgent thing the sport needs right now is to have a significant junior development factor built into the salary cap....The long term benefit of that would be seen at the turnstiles

Just to add....that would go a long ways to evening things up with those clubs who perhaps may not have a strong culture of juniour development but do have amazing ocean view real estate deals to be snapped up by the lucky superstar or two

Last edited:

Tiger Ted

Bench
On that subject Das, we also can't keep them all e.g.

Read that again, 6 clubs.

Over the last few years we have let a few go, again we had to look in the crystal ball and decide:

The only regular first graders we have released are Farah, Sironen, Taupau, Austin, Bodene Thompson & Korobete (any more)

Austin or Moses? - The fact that Moses was a junior and had played along side Brooks was no doubt an important factor - hindsight though, I wish it was Austin leading the backs around.
Te Maire Martin or Brookes/Moses ?

Who from the reserves have gone and gone onto play 1st grade?
Addo Carr yes but what about,
Rod Griffin, Manaia Cherrington, Manaia Rudolph they are playing in the NSW Cup,

Perhaps Nathan Brown might like to prove that he is a 1st grader, he did OK at Souths and he might come cheap.
What we can read into the papenhuyzen departure is that hopefully teddy is committing to the WT.

Bellamy doesn't need to work hard to recruit speedy backs who have a knack for scoring tries as we r becoming a feeder club for the cheating Mexicans !

Tiger Woody

Juniors
What we can read into the papenhuyzen departure is that hopefully teddy is committing to the WT.

Bellamy doesn't need to work hard to recruit speedy backs who have a knack for scoring tries as we r becoming a feeder club for the cheating Mexicans !

Yes ,i wasnt happy seeing papenhuyzen go to Storm..
Then i thought,Maybe Teddy is all wrapped up,thats why he left.
I have a feeling we will keep Hillbilly and Teddy,not sure about the other 2.
Nofa seems ready to sign as well which is a bonus .hes one of the big 5...

Tiger05

First Grade
1. Tedesco
2. Nofoaluma
3. Simona
4. Suli
5. Addo-Carr

What could've been...

Look at that backline. I'd try to get Simona and JAC back to the club. SImona we should be able to get for $20k + match payments. I have no idea how long JAC is signed to the storm but letting him go was so stupid.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Look at that backline. I'd try to get Simona and JAC back to the club. SImona we should be able to get for $20k + match payments. I have no idea how long JAC is signed to the storm but letting him go was so stupid.
The thing that sucks is he loves the tigers as he grew up being a passionate tigers fan.He genuinely wanted to stay with us.The club would've probably offered him less than what Rankin is on.

What's the bet he scores the winning try @ LO next week !

Clifferd

Coach
I think the reason for letting JAC go was to accomodate Suli but it's stupid when we probably could've been able to keep both

Tiger Ted

Bench
I think the reason for letting JAC go was to accomodate Suli but it's stupid when we probably could've been able to keep both
Its entirely beyond explanation & unforgiveable that these 2 aren't occupying our left centre & winger positions for many yrs to come !

JAC was great last nite & he wouldn't have cost us anywhere near the disproportionately(relative to there output & progress thus far ie the 6 & 7)crazy money other fraudsters have cost us!

Anyway good luck to the kid & the probability is that this dysfunctional club would've ruined his promising career.At least @ Melbourne his season won't perpetually end in august but more likely the 1st weekend in October !

Das Hassler

Bench
I think I"m right in saying that we could not have matched melbourne"s offer
.salary cap was worse then than now so that can't be ignored ...with the benefit of hindsight i"m sure the dogs would have liked to have kept thurston after 2004...he was let go by the much lauded steve folkes in charge if i remember right.....pemrith SHOULD have matched the chooks massive offer to hang onto local boy fittler....why didn't they?....as someone said ...you cant hang onto etc etc

Shredder

Juniors
Keeping in mind guys -

That back 5 that you are all groaning over is only one player removed from where we were last year.
And he was already in the club anyway.

You guys honestly think that last years back 5 with Suli in it makes us contenders?

We have the second (or is it third) largest junior nursery for Rugby League in the world. We are always going to lose players and in hindsight some of them might be bad decisions. Thats just life.

Honestly on paper - we arent that much worse than the top sides, a couple of great players (Teddy, Woods, Nofo) and a smattering of regular first graders and depth. All we need is a pair of CONSISTENT halves. Not great, just consistent.

And yet I have never seen a side "give up" as often as we do. Its just entrenched in the culture of the team. Even Newcastle last year with only one win (against us) showed more heart in the back end of the season than we did.

I would gladly NOT sign another player for three years and get a decent f**king coach.

Tiger Woody

Juniors

signed for 3 years.

Tiger Ted

Bench
Keeping in mind guys -

That back 5 that you are all groaning over is only one player removed from where we were last year.
And he was already in the club anyway.

You guys honestly think that last years back 5 with Suli in it makes us contenders?

We have the second (or is it third) largest junior nursery for Rugby League in the world. We are always going to lose players and in hindsight some of them might be bad decisions. Thats just life.

Honestly on paper - we arent that much worse than the top sides, a couple of great players (Teddy, Woods, Nofo) and a smattering of regular first graders and depth. All we need is a pair of CONSISTENT halves. Not great, just consistent.

And yet I have never seen a side "give up" as often as we do. Its just entrenched in the culture of the team. Even Newcastle last year with only one win (against us) showed more heart in the back end of the season than we did.

I would gladly NOT sign another player for three years and get a decent f**king coach.
JAC only played 9 games in 1sts for us & unfortunately we won't benefit from this kids undoubted potential.Now playing in a team that epitomises professionalism his progress to becoming a star is inevitable.

There's no doubt shredder that assuming we had a fabulous back 5 wouldn't necessarily translate into success as it's only 1 of the ingredients for success in the NRL.

I agree with u as would most tigers fans who r still sane after watching the consistent spineless garbage this club continues to deliver that the areas that totally suck r the frequent innate capitulation , the absence of a 6 or 7 with the ability to competently & consistently steer the team & who possesses a decent kicking game & a totally inept & unfit coach who hasn't made any progress re our shithouse defence a significant aspect of the game that the coach emphasised he'd place much focus on when he got the gig.

I'm not looking forward to the anticipated capitulation encompassing the flimsiest defence in the nrl in the nations capital this Sunday arvo!

Shredder

Juniors
Its about heart - and that has nothing to know with how famous you are or how much you get played.

Value the jersey - value your mates in the team - put in.

Its under 9s stuff.....

I would bet anyone that this same team with decent motivation would be world beaters.

They have the ability, they wouldnt have been graded otherwise, they just dont give a shit.

Its all one out stuff - they just dont play as a team - thats why the defence is so average - no not average - just about the worst in the comp last year yes?