What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who has been to a Women's Rugby League game and what did you think?

I've seen a few women's games live and thought they were absolutely brilliant.

• First I'd seen was at the Auckland Nines and whenever Australia Vs NZ came on they were standout games for mine. The only games the crowd cheered as loud were (naturally) the Warriors games. Brilliant to watch.
  • I popped down to Redfern Oval and watched Souths Play Newcastle earlier this year, again brilliant to watch.
  • Also found myself down at Marrickville oval last weekend - having an off-season nets session with my cricket team and the women were playing right near us. I sacked off the nets and found myself watching the girls from the dead ball line. When the men's game started after, I was straight back in with my pads on.
The effort, skill, attack, defence (brutal at times!) in all games was outstanding. I actually enjoyed watching the Womens' game more than the fellas on those days.

The Women's SOO was great on telly but as Molly Meldrum would say - do yourself a favour, and get to a game live.

siv

First Grade
Girls in NRL club colours get strong support when they play at the main stadiums

But the season changed from 40 min per half to only 30 min per half after around 5 rounds

Proud Footy Mum

Juniors
I watch the Souths girls go round every game they play. The exciting part of the Womens Rugby League, is that it is growing enormously, we probably just don't notice if we aren't around it. This years Tarsha Gale Comp (Under 18s) was fantastic, with loads of these young girls keen to go up to the next step, in the years to come. I cant wait, encouragement in any Sport in this Country, is a must.

Dakink

Bench
Back home we only have ladies tag, the girls are passionate and commited. A lot want to play full contact but the numbers for full contact aren't there...yet. ladies tag entices more players atm.

Coparugby

Juniors
I watched a game live in Canberra. It was younger women playing against a team from Sydney.

As I arrived I overheard one mum saying to her daughter something along the lines of “ya gotta hit those f*%#ing b*tches hard”. And she did.... and I really enjoyed it.

thorson1987

Coach
Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
I’ve seen a few games as warm ups to NRL games. Souths vs Dogs on Good Friday springs to mind. I didn’t have an opinion either way to be honest.
I don’t dislike women’s RL I just don’t really have the time to devote to watching another load of sport.

321Davoe dragon

Juniors
I’ve seen a few games as warm ups to NRL games. Souths vs Dogs on Good Friday springs to mind. I didn’t have an opinion either way to be honest.
I don’t dislike women’s RL I just don’t really have the time to devote to watching another load of sport.
Yeah i agree ,womans state of origin ect ,i think womans tag an touch are ok to watch occassionly ,theres a lot of young kids ( boys ) in the bush who would love to play in front of a.crowd and show there talents and maybe make a name for themselves but theres no chance of.them.getting sponsors ,i suppose next thing they will be picking the womans.immortals ...lol.

321Davoe dragon

Juniors
Ok im not being sexist ,i really enjoy watching a good hard close game of nrl ,but i am having so much trouble trying to get excited about womans nrl ,true i would not like to meet them in a dark alley at night ,but i really dont think it does much for feminism ?also if it is as popular as the commentators make out why is nobody at the ground watching,highly entertaining i dont think so

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Ok im not being sexist ,i really enjoy watching a good hard close game of nrl ,but i am having so much trouble trying to get excited about womans nrl ,true i would not like to meet them in a dark alley at night ,but i really dont think it does much for feminism ?also if it is as popular as the commentators make out why is nobody at the ground watching,highly entertaining i dont think so
As @thorson1987 said, get back in your hole.

I'm fine with people not liking it, but seeking out a forum where people are here to discuss the game only to find backwards rubbish like this is another level.

TooheysNew

Coach
Let me guess. You're in your 60s?

This Year?

Immortal
I went to the Warriors v Roosters game and found it fun to watch. The ruck was always fast and no wrestling. The plays were well executed with crisp passes.

I found it so refreshing compared to the mens game. The only main difference I found was the speed of the game.

Billythekid

First Grade
I've been to lots of women's sport but not RL (mostly soccer). I really like he atmosphere, seems to get a lot of women and kids in the crowd and less dickheads.

Live at the game I find women's sport pretty much just as enjoyable as the men's. It's more about he spectacle and atmosphere anyway.

gUt

Coach
Really enjoying watching the girls. It helps that so many of them are easy on the eye (yeah yeah sorry) but even if they weren't they're still entertaining athletes and the standard is high.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Love watching the women play in their more unstructured, less wrestling manner. A bit like watching the ESL.

I do flinch with the big hits. Is it fair to say that there is more chance of a serious injury in women's contact sports? Or perhaps it is the opposite. They just seem to belt each other more, or there is more whiplash or something...

Latest posts