What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who is the leader of our props?

Meth

Staff member
ok- forget the last couple of games (if you can)

With Green complimenting Johnson, Luke and RTS playing outstanding football, Harris leading the way on his edge and Maumalo and Fusitu'a getting our sets off to a great start + finishing well as well, it really seems to me that the only thing that really is missing from our makeup is a strong propping rotation.

It seems to me that we're really missing leadership in the middle of the field.

Paasi is playing well, but he's not the leader.

Afoa started with a bang and was still playing well enough up until his injury (which has been a big loss for us).

But who is the leader?

I think we all overestimated Gavet based on the last years season. He's gone back into his shell.

The elephant in the room is Blair- he's supposed to be the leader in the middle of the park, but his work rate is bizarrely abysmal and he doesn't seem to provide anything when the going gets tough.

Beyond that, we have Satae, Lisone, Sao, Sipley- it's hard to see us digging our way out of this hole.

I really rate Leeson Ah Mau- but is he really the answer, going forward?

We need a leader.

Rich102

Staff member
For me Luke is the forward leader, no question.
Our props are just cattle. Totally replaceable - hopefully by a better one.
I am sorry we didn't make a play for Graham.

vvvrulz

Coach
It should have been Gavet if he was able to find last year's form, but that's looking more and more like an aberration.

We badly need a Graham / Price / Gallen type enforcer who gets us rolling.

JJ

Immortal
Given the experience and money it obviously should be Blair

But he offers pretty much nothing tangible

Blair

Coach
Is it too late to bulk Simon up? After all, he was a team captain.

Seriously, Tof Sipley had 'leadership' written all over him. But he's gone. There's no answers to your original post, Meth.

Apart from bringing someone new in.

I disagree a bit on Blair. He's having his good moments this year. At the end of the season, if we see ourselves as being successful, then he'll be a part of that.

Reactions: JJ

vvvrulz

Coach
I disagree a bit on Blair. He's having his good moments this year. At the end of the season, if we see ourselves as being successful, then he'll be a part of that.

Whatever little he does (mainly on defence) is often not bad; the major problem is that his overall workload is almost always pathetic and even guys coming off the bench rack up busier numbers. Doesn't help he has a stupid offload or penalty in him.

He is supposed to be much better with his history and experience.

Reactions: JJ

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Paasi is playing well, but he's not the leader.

I really rate Leeson Ah Mau- but is he really the answer, going forward?

We need a leader.

Isn't he? I feel like Paasi is. He's the guy putting his hand up week after week, producing effort where others aren't offering it at all consistently. Maybe he's not a big talker or whatever, I dunno. But I'd say he leads our pack, 100%. Gavet should be but as suspected, backing up a big season is proving hard for him.

The leader of our pack doesn't have to be a prop, Micheal Luck was always the leader in driving standards and effort from 13. Maybe we need another guy like him at the tail end (ish) of their career, someone like Blake Green who clearly is a leader. Oh no that's right, Adam Blair is that leader...no.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Whatever little he does (mainly on defence) is often not bad; the major problem is that his overall workload is almost always pathetic and even guys coming off the bench rack up busier numbers. Doesn't help he has a stupid offload or penalty in him.

He is supposed to be much better with his history and experience.

I went to the game in Christchurch, and 4mins into the game it was taking Blair 3 tackles to get back onside and offer an option to the dummy half, I couldn't believe it

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
A bit off topic, sorry Meth, but are the interchanges being dropped to 6 next year?

If so how will our forward pack cope?

Meth

Staff member
Isn't he? I feel like Paasi is. He's the guy putting his hand up week after week, producing effort where others aren't offering it at all consistently. Maybe he's not a big talker or whatever, I dunno. But I'd say he leads our pack, 100%. Gavet should be but as suspected, backing up a big season is proving hard for him.

No, I'd say that he is- but I'm not sure he should be.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Not quite an answer to your question, but Mannering can be the "Gallen" style middle back-rower who gets through a power of work, makes heaps of post contact metres and can pop the odd offload.

He has copped a bit of criticism this season, mostly because he seems to have a few more errors and missed tackles in him, but basically he has been and imo is capable of playing this role.

I reckon if we had Harris or Pulu back to play on an edge, I would like Mannering starting at 13 and Blair benched or cut, but it seems like it's not gonna happen, and it might be all academic given the injuries anyway.

Paasi is our best prop but doesn't play big minutes and is more a 100m+ man than a 200m man.

sup42

Juniors
Paasi has been staking a claim now Bunty is missing, he is really stepping up.

He got smashed pretty good a couple of times, but kept going straight and hard.

Difficult to do when you're a solo act...you get targeted more easily ( Most of the top forwards are surrounded by handy packs...few would be reliant on the Ilk of Gavet and Satae).

Paasi seems to love it. Copped a knee to the head too and didnt blow his fuse.

Heard of Paasi losing the plot in club footy it is not pretty....used to go stupid ( he broke that blokes face in ISP with a deliberate swinging arm....heard he knocked someone out in club football with a similar stunt).

Looks to have matured.

Latest posts