What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who should be NSW Origin captain in 2017?

davi

Juniors
Aaron Woods the favorite, but Boyd Cordnor is the dark horse to get it. Josh Jackson probably rated a long shot.

"The battle for the NSW State of Origin captaincy is far from a one-horse race, but Blues assistant coach Mark O’Meley has declared Boyd Cordner a serious option to replace the retired Paul Gallen.

“Boyd Cordner looks ideal to me,” O’Meley told NSWRL.com.au.

“I think he’s a no-nonsense player, he does all the little things right and leads by example.

“Guys like that are who you respect in the game.”

Blues prop Aaron Woods is considered the front-runner to fill the role after appearing at the Blues' new spiritual home in Homebush last month.

However, the Wests Tigers skipper is unlikely to be an automatic selection, with Sydney Roosters vice-captain Cordner among a host of candidates to lead the Blues in 2017.

“It depends; NSW will have to have a look and see who’s developed in the off season, who’s maturing more,” O’Meley says.

“We’ve got a lot of senior players that are arguably at the end of their tender, so the new batch will come in as you’ve seen last year with (James) Tedesco and those guys.

“I couldn’t single-out one replacement for ‘Gal,’ but we need to build some stability over the next five or six years.”

Earlier, Blues coach Laurie Daley believed Boyd Cordner a serious option to replace the retired Paul Gallen.

"(Cordner is) a genuine contender. It's a big decision that we have to make so we have to make sure that we get the right person," Daley said at a NSW Indigenous camp in October last year.

"But there's a number of guys that can do it. Boyd certainly has experience in doing it at the Roosters, Woods's done it at the Tigers, (Josh Jackson's) got great leadership qualities as well.”

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/nr...ed-for-blues-origin-captaincy/?station=sydney

^Moylan was hiding at fullback for the majority of the year. He can't defend in the front line. Mild-mannered Gavin Cooper steamrolled him in Origin so bad that even he got an ego-boost and felt compelled to throw the ball on his head. I'll never forget Croker out-muscling Moylan on his way to a try in City-Country 2015 (i think it was). If Croker can do that, the majority of players in the NRL could.

When Austin gets bumped off, he comes back for a 2nd grab. He's tenacious.

Austin should be NSW 6, but I'm not expecting him to be. Loz will paint himself into a corner again and come out saying "such and such are my halves, and Robbie is my hooker" months before the series irregardless of form. NSW will then lose. Rinse and repeat.

adamkungl

Immortal
On a more serious note, if you pick different players but coach the exact same gameplan you aren't gonna get a different result. We've seen this for the last 11 years. We got lucky once. Odds not in our favour if we try to out-grind QLD again.

TheFrog

Coach
He can't defend in the front line. Mild-mannered Gavin Cooper steamrolled him in Origin so bad that even he got an ego-boost and felt compelled to throw the ball on his head.
If you're relying on a 75kg fullback/half to stop a 110kg forward close to the line, the battle is already lost. Like Lockyer did, Moylan needs a bit of help from the bigger blokes.

Mind you he did stop Hayne, who was in the clear, in the second last round last year. Plenty have failed that assignment.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
If all you have to shoot a bloke down is defensive reasons, and pretty flimsy ones at that, then you really don't have much of an argument. Let's remember both JT anD Lockyer are both considered sub par defenders

Moylan is a much more rounded player than Austin.

Smack

Coach
It should be one of the younger players who have solidified their selection for the next few years

Latest posts