What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who should be the Red's number one target

jim_57

Staff member
If they get back in in 2013, Who do people think it should be?

The best one I could think of was Karmichael Hunt, makes alot of sense the more I think about it. He finishes AFL in 2012 so if the Reds and NRL put up alot of money to get him back it would be perfect. Here is a player the AFL have built into a publicity tool and the NRL has the perfect oppurtunity to strike back using the AFL's own weapon. AFL will have made Hunt well known in Perth and the Reds could use him to get back just as much publicity for RL as the AFL did. Hopefully somebody can see from a publicity perspective this would be huge!

Also not to mention he's a great player.

Another few I thought of were:

Corey Patterson: WA Local and a good player.

Sam Tomkins: Very exciting and talented young English five-eight, would help appeal to the Pommie ex-pats.

Ryan Cross: Got this one off Perth Red a while back, reasonably well known in Perth and it would be good publicity to get another one back. Not sure how old he'll be then though?

Perth Red

Post Whore
If we had the money!:

1. cutie (AFL)
2. B Goodwin (WA)
3. Jake Webster (SL)
4. Michael Jennings (NRL)
5. Peter Fox (UK SL)
6. Tomkins (UK SL)
7. Michael Dobson (SL)
8. James Graham (UK SL)
9. Daniel Holdsworth (WA SL)
10. J. Saffy (RU)
11. C. Patterson (Capt) (WA)
12. Jon Green (WA)
13. SBW (RU)

14. J Lima (SL)
15. D Johnson (SL)
16. R Hoffman (SL)
17. G Eastwood (SL)

Coach possibles: Nathan Brown, Justin Morgan, Graham Murray, Stephen Kearney, Craig Bellamy

That would be a reasonable side that wouldn't really weaken existing clubs, nice WA contingent with some 1/2 decent poms and RU returns.

Perth Tiger

Bench
The first targets should be all the WA players who are first graders or even fringe first graders in the NRL and Super League.

Hopefully the Reds SG Ball team produces a few more between now and 2013

bennySW

Juniors
There's rumours that the following are keen to come:

Jon Green - West Ozzie
Goodwin Brothers - West Ozzie thru the WARL
Dan Holdsworth - W.O.

& outside the black swan of things.

Sam Burgess as his [parents are living here in WA in Scarborough.

But Please not Ryan Cross, we've seen how keen he is in recent times with the Western Force, a great player but puts in when he wants to put in, and we've seen this before with a certain player or two with the Western Reds when in the ARL / SL era.

Talanexor

Juniors
If the Titans are to be a model for all future successful expansion clubs, I'd go with this:

1st Priority - An experienced marquee playmaker (Prince)
2nd Priority - An experienced marquee forward (Bailey)
3rd Priority - an experienced, but seemingly unwanted playmaker/utility back (Campbell, Friend)
4th Priority - A "personality" player - a crowd favourite (Peteresen - aka Side Show Bob)

You also need either a very experienced but unwanted coach, or an assistant coach on the verge on becoming a head coach (like Bellamy and Cartwright). Having a few locals in the team definitely helps too.

Definitely agree about Hunt. I can't see him being a success in AFL, although it would definitely boost the profile of any NRL club in a predominantly AFL state to bring him back. Most of your signings are pretty spot on, but I think you're relying too much on English imports. Squad needs to be majority Australians, and as many WA players as possible.

Off the top of my head:

1. Hunt (AFL)
2. Bryson Goodwin (WA)
3. Arana Taumata (assuming he runs out of NRL clubs for bad off-field behaviour)
4. Esi Tonga (Titans have plenty of centres and keep buying more)
6. Tomkins
7. Dobson (Cronk would be a godsend)
8. Jon Green
9. Kingston (will be squeezed out of Panthers eventually)
11. Patterson
12. Bronx Goodwin

14. Holdsworth (WA, just not good enough to be in starting side)

Coach: Graham Murray

Perth Red

Post Whore
Talk about getting ahead of yourselves.

How about targeting a license before beginning contract negotiations.

you must have missed the last 3 years of targetting work? Haven;t CC BEars already announced their coach if they get in?

As said its a bit of fun and something to talk about until we get our next NRL fix in Perth in 12 months!

KiwiStorm

Juniors
Is Matt Petersen still playing in Super League? He's from Subiaco orginally, and I think he'd be in his early 30's in 2013 - so maybe he might be interested in playing back in Perth.

jim_57

Staff member
If the Titans are to be a model for all future successful expansion clubs, I'd go with this:

1st Priority - An experienced marquee playmaker (Prince)
2nd Priority - An experienced marquee forward (Bailey)
3rd Priority - an experienced, but seemingly unwanted playmaker/utility back (Campbell, Friend)
4th Priority - A "personality" player - a crowd favourite (Peteresen - aka Side Show Bob)

You also need either a very experienced but unwanted coach, or an assistant coach on the verge on becoming a head coach (like Bellamy and Cartwright). Having a few locals in the team definitely helps too.

Definitely agree about Hunt. I can't see him being a success in AFL, although it would definitely boost the profile of any NRL club in a predominantly AFL state to bring him back. Most of your signings are pretty spot on, but I think you're relying too much on English imports. Squad needs to be majority Australians, and as many WA players as possible.

Off the top of my head:

1. Hunt (AFL)
2. Bryson Goodwin (WA)
3. Arana Taumata (assuming he runs out of NRL clubs for bad off-field behaviour)
4. Esi Tonga (Titans have plenty of centres and keep buying more)
6. Tomkins
7. Dobson (Cronk would be a godsend)
8. Jon Green
9. Kingston (will be squeezed out of Panthers eventually)
11. Patterson
12. Bronx Goodwin

14. Holdsworth (WA, just not good enough to be in starting side)

Coach: Graham Murray

I think a good template for the reds would be:
  1. A "star" player in a key position
  2. As many WA "locals" as possible
  3. A good Englishman or two
  4. A big publicity player
  5. A personality player
  6. Build a solid team/squad around that from SL and NRL players
How about:

1. K Hunt (1,4)
2. Bryson Goodwin (2)
3. M King (5,6)
4. JJ Parker (6)
5. Bronx Goodwin (2)
6. S Tomkins (3)
7. M Witt (6)
8. J Poore (2)
9. C Smith (1)
10. M O'Meley (6)
11. C Patterson (2)
12. J Tomkins (3)
13. R Maitua (6)
14. D Holdsworth (2)
15. J Green (2)
16. R Tandy (6)
17. L Anderson (6)

Looks a good side to me with only 7 coming from current NRL clubs. 5 of those 7 coming from other NRL clubs could be classed as locals.

If Burgess' parents live in WA look out for his twin brothers coming.

albert

Juniors
Comments are all good.But before we sign anyone, we need a coach.My suggestion.....
Nathan Brown.This might be a shock decision but he did not return to Australia as first reported to stay at Huddersfield for another year.I am open to other "nominees".

Bro Bear

Juniors
Well since the Gold Coast were given a leg up and still are e.g. receiving more money to pay players wages and want to sign Inglis.

Then the CC Bears and WA Reds should be able to.

My proposal - any junior that played their football at WA or the Central Coast/North Sydney and is signed by the new clubs be given a discount towards the salary cap.

Hopefully the CEO's and NRL have some sense.

The AFL does not let its clubs run its competition. Bring on the Bears and Reds and let league grow.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Comments are all good.But before we sign anyone, we need a coach.My suggestion.....
Nathan Brown.This might be a shock decision but he did not return to Australia as first reported to stay at Huddersfield for another year.I am open to other "nominees".

I reckon Nathan Brown is maturing well over in UK. As I said I reckon Justin Morgan has shown alot of potential as well, taking a small spending Hull KR to promotion then on to 4th spot in SL. A good current NRL assistant like Kearney would be ok or a really big coup like Bellamy would be awsome. It's only 2 years away so i hope we do have some feelers out for people who might be interested.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Players with WA links and ages in 2013

B Goodwin 27
B Goodwin 28
J Green 27
D Holdsworth 28
C Patterson 25
M Peterson 32
L Te Marri 27
J Poore 27
J Saffy 28

aside from sideshow Bob they should all be in their prime!

Perth Tiger

Bench
That is a pretty decent list for a non heartland state. As I said before hopefully add 1 or 2 more from the current Reds SG ball team and that is a fairly decent WA core of players

Perth Red

Post Whore
That is a pretty decent list for a non heartland state. As I said before hopefully add 1 or 2 more from the current Reds SG ball team and that is a fairly decent WA core of players

yeh, might be a challenge getting them all but I'd like to see us having a quiet word in their managers ear about not signing anything beyond 2012! Would also be nice to see the NRL give us some assistance in getting them back to Perth.

Only concern re the SG Ball is that the kids have no where to develop after they reach the max age for that team. I would imagine over the enxt two years the best will get snapped up by NRL teams over East.

Perth Tiger

Bench
yeh, might be a challenge getting them all but I'd like to see us having a quiet word in their managers ear about not signing anything beyond 2012! Would also be nice to see the NRL give us some assistance in getting them back to Perth.

Only concern re the SG Ball is that the kids have no where to develop after they reach the max age for that team. I would imagine over the enxt two years the best will get snapped up by NRL teams over East.

Yeah that is what I imagine the talented ones will do. Hasn't Curtis Rona already signed with the Roosters U20s? Not sure if he was one of the WA locals of one of the imports from east though

Nuke

Staff member
I think that's the thing. I don't know the numbers, but I'm pretty sure a fair whack of the WA Reds SG Ball team this year were brought over from the east coast. These, obviously, aren't WA products, so wouldn't qualify under the hypothetical list above. IF (and that's a big 'if') they hang around for another 3 years, then they could well fit straight into the WA Reds NRL squad, but I doubt that once their time in the SG Ball team is up that they'd stay in WA. I know of at least one player who's gone back east now that his Reds time is up (for 2010 anyway ... I don't know if he plans on coming back in 2011 though).

Latest posts