What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who to play 5/8?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Its obvious from today that McCrone is not a dominating half, so who gets the call next week?

I think there is only 3 choices:

Shaun Nona
Jai Field
Kurt Mann

My choice is for Nona to get his chance at first grade.
Field has just returned from injury and against Melbourne I think would be a risk
Mann I think he could do a good job, but we only have a short turnaround and I don't think he's dominant enough to compliment McCrone.

We need a goal kicker and we can't rely on Duges, this is why Nona is the choice. Although Field can kick goals I don't think it's his go now as he doesn't kick for Illawarra either.

So Nona to do a Cody Walker

BennyV

Referee
There is no one dominant enough to fill Widdops shoes, certainly not Nona who can drift in and out of games (on top of not being as dangerous with ball-in-hand, except for a decent short kick).

Gotta be Mann. He was looking more and more dangerous as his 15mins at 5/8 and with a week there to prep, he's the best option we've got.

McCrone and McInnes need to step up.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
There is no one dominant enough to fill Widdops shoes, certainly not Nona who can drift in and out of games (on top of not being as dangerous with ball-in-hand, except for a decent short kick).

Gotta be Mann. He was looking more and more dangerous as his 15mins at 5/8 and with a week there to prep, he's the best option we've got.

It's only a 4 day turn around and most of the boys are going to be pretty sore so no training tomorrow, only a recovery session, so that leaves 3 days if they train hard at all.
I would give Nona his chance, and yeah I agree he's rocks and diamonds, then we have a long break, that's when I'd have Mann train at 5/8.
Plus, if Mann is 5/8 who's your goal kicker, surely your not going to rely on Duges. Against the Storm we need to convert 4 into 6 as often as possible.

St Georgio

Juniors
I was really banking a win here, golden point sucks, I am old skool, both teams busted there guts only too get jack shit.
I would roll the dice with nona rocks or diamond attitude, this Widdop injury has definitely derailed our drive for a Top 4 finish.
f**k!

Last edited:

Crush

Coach

Hey Benny, reality check. Mann is a winger. He aint no half. So where to from here?

BennyV

Referee
It's only a 4 day turn around and most of the boys are going to be pretty sore so no training tomorrow, only a recovery session, so that leaves 3 days if they train hard at all.
I would give Nona his chance, and yeah I agree he's rocks and diamonds, then we have a long break, that's when I'd have Mann train at 5/8.
Plus, if Mann is 5/8 who's your goal kicker, surely your not going to rely on Duges. Against the Storm we need to convert 4 into 6 as often as possible.
Agree to disagree. IMO, Nona is a nailed on reggie, and even this year he hasnt been anything flash in NSW Cup.
I'm not sure what would be gained from switching our 6s over and over. If one of them isnt ready because they havent trained there, that as coaching issue.
I would go Mann, then Field. Either way, McCrone needs to step up in a big way.

Crush

Coach
What specifically leads you to this conclusion?!
The fact that Mary moved him back to wing after he looked all at sea in that second half. Cmon Benny, admit it, he isnt near 1st grade half material. A good winger though.

Prometheus

Juniors
Kurt Mann. They obviously have faith in him or he wouldn't have been on the first grade bench for the last few games.

Sure they could move Dugan to 6, but he is more of a ball-runner than a ball-player, so I don't think that's a good idea. Besides, it would be weakening one position to strengthen another. That is also why I wouldn't consider moving McInnes to five-eighth and bringing Havili into starting hooker.

Minh

First Grade
Mann or even Dugan, the Storm are not a team to blood a youngster against, they are too clinical...

BennyV

Referee
The fact that Mary moved him back to wing after he looked all at sea in that second half. Cmon Benny, admit it, he isnt near 1st grade half material. A good winger though.
Not sure if you're actually serious with this. Mann moved to wing when Dugan went off (with Nighty to fullback), and when he came back on Mann went straight back to 5/8! If you are serious, its one of the dumbest things I've read today!

Outside of that, was there something he did particularly wrong? I mean, he spend 15-20minutes (interrupted) at 5/8, thrown in to cover for our captain, and during this time our forwards were not on the front foot, our halfback had to adjust to being the dominant playmaker and he got the ball at 2nd receiver twice! So where did he actually fail as a 5/8?

Crush

Coach
Bellamy plays the guy as a centre and fullback. Gould states that his best position is 5/8. Mary will play him at 5/8 next week.

Dragons fans after he doesnt single-handedly win us a game - 'Nah, he's a winger only'.
OK, lets see if Mary plays him at 5/8 next week. I doubt it.

Life's Good

Coach
I don't think there is any option other than Mann. He was thrown in today with zero preparation and it showed. He has a decent running game, isn't afraid to pass the ball, is good in support play(mainly from 2016) and can defend. He will get a couple of training sessions to get used to things and the rest is then on him. As for Nona, quite honestly I can't recall too much being spoke about his form-good or bad. I think field is too light and Melbourne would expose that with their edge forwards targeting him.

Latest posts