What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who to play 5/8?

Simon

Juniors
I'd play Field. I'm not sold on Mann in the halves and we need a goal kicker.

It's a big ask for a youngster to kick in his first starting game. He'd defend next to Thompson and Lafai who are at least in form with their defence. Defence would be my biggest worry about him playing in the halves at this early stage.

slippery5

Juniors
MANN will 10000% be the starting 5/8 no room for experimentation - would like to throw Field in but he won't.
Exactly, it'll be Mann, he hasn't got the balls to roll the dice with Field, considering he now has to adjust his simple "game plan." Did someone mention JDB !!!!!!!!! ( settle down Mary)

getsmarty

Immortal
De Belin a surprise contender for vacant No. 6

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

26 Apr 2017, 5:30 p.m.
r0_0_3450_2300_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

MR FIXIT: Jack de Belin and Russell Packer enjoy the Dragons recovery session at North Wollongong Beach on Wednesday. Picture: Adam McLean

ST GEORGE Illawarra workhorse Jack de Belin says he’s happy to shift to the halves if Dragons coach Paul McGregor looks out of the box to fill the void left by injured skipper Gareth Widdop.

Widdop underwent scans on his left knee on Wednesday and is facing up to a month on the sidelines after suffering a medial ligament injury in the Dragons golden-point loss to the Roosters on Anzac Day.

Kurt Mann was injected in the halves to replaced Widdop moments before halftime, but shifted to the wing for a large chunk of the second half after fullback Josh Dugan left the field for an HIA. It left de Belin feeding the scrums, though he still managed to make 35 tackles and run for 119 metres.

It was an unexpected detour, but De Belin said it wasn’t too much of a stretch as the Dragons fell just short of a courageous victory.

“It was disappointing not to get the win but at the same time it showed a lot of our characteristics with our resilience and being able to hang in there when things were going against us,” de Belin said.

“Hats off to the boys, we all hung tough. We didn’t get the result but we got a lot of good learning out of it.

“We had a few injuries, so I got told to shift to No. 6 there, defend at three [in from the sideline] but just play my normal game.Nothing really changed there. I feel like I’m well capable, and mobile, enough to defend there at the three.

“Whatever I’m called upon to do for the team I’m more than happy to do it.”

Mann appears most likely to wear the No. 6 if McGregor looks for a like-for-like replacement for Widdop, but should he opt for the likes of young-gun Jai Field or reserve grade half Shaun Nona, de Belin could well spend some time on the edge.

It would not be the first time de Belin , an underrated ball-player, has been called upon as a stop-gap in a play-making role, having started at five-eighth in a 32-6 loss to the Broncos in round 23, 2015.

The move attracted some derision as the time, but de Belin said he would happily reprise the role for at least some of the 80 minutes against Melbourne on Saturday, should McGregor look for a left-field solution to Widdop’s absence.

“You never know, I’d definitely feel very comfortable doing it,” he said.

“I’ve obviously done it before. It copped a bit of backlash at the time because we probably weren’t going so well as a team but as of right now we’re doing really well. I’ll play wherever Mary wants me to play and if that means I have to move out wide and play a role there I’m totally capable of doing that.”

The Dragons will start as underdogs against Melbourne without their skipper, but de Belin remains confidence his side can spring an upset.

“When you’ve got a spine like they do, every time you come up against them it’s going to be a tough one,” de Belin said.

“But I feel like the way we’re playing at the moment, the confidence and the belief in each other, it doesn't matter who we’re playing, we’ll be sweet.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4622623/de-belin-happy-to-be-mr-fixit-for-mcgregor/?cs=3713

gitano

Juniors
Gypsy , maybe Mary if he's game start with Mann at 5/8 and have Nona on bench just in case it doesn't work or dugans not kicking well. Just a thought.
Do not call him Gypsy. He is a cheap knock-off. I am the Gypsy, the original. I was banned from here for speaking sense and had to respawn.

Drakon

Juniors
Mary will play Mann at 5/8. I'd like to see Nona get his chance. He deserves it. He has a good kicking game including being a very good goal kicker. Play a half to do the job of a half!

ALSGI

Bench
Mary will play Mann at 5/8. I'd like to see Nona get his chance. He deserves it. He has a good kicking game including being a very good goal kicker. Play a half to do the job of a half!
Agree Mary will play Mann. The only way I think Nona will get a chance is if McCrone gets injured. Field is being groomed for FG, Nona will play Qld cup next year.​

BrissyRedV

Bench
Field for 5/8 purely because he is playing reserves in that position and has that recent experience. Mann I am sure would do an admirable job, but has pretty much been used exclusively in the outside backs including in the trials. Time to see what Field has to offer and hopefully the team continues to play what is in front of them.

possm

Coach
I'd play Field. I'm not sold on Mann in the halves and we need a goal kicker.

It's a big ask for a youngster to kick in his first starting game. He'd defend next to Thompson and Lafai who are at least in form with their defence. Defence would be my biggest worry about him playing in the halves at this early stage.
Yes it is a big ask especially against a full strength Storm.

Mary had the opportunity to test Mann and Field at 6 during the trials and at various times during previous games. He chose not to do so which was not such a bad decision in the short term but as it turns out now, leaves us with untried candidates for Widdop's replacement.

It's not all Mary's fault. Millward in his enthusiasm for junior pathways has failed to provide insurance against this circumstance by not recruiting a first grade ready five-eighth for 2017. We do have backup wingers, centres and a plan to put Nighty in for Dugan but no definite solution if Widdop or McCrone went down. This could have been avoided by giving Mann much more time at 6 or 7 and the same goes for Field albeit he has been injured for most of this season.

Time will tell however, my decision would be to play Mann at 6 right up until our bye with Field on the bench.

BennyV

Referee
So you want Nona to take McCrones spot?

possm

Coach
So you want Nona to take McCrones spot?
That would be madness. One change at a time, maybe Field off the bench to give us some strike power when the opposition forwards are tired. But he has to be instructed how to take advantage of this, not just take the field and see what happens. The team - especially the forwards - we need to know what is on and how to get it done.

BennyV

Referee
That would be madness. One change at a time, maybe Field off the bench to give us some strike power when the opposition forwards are tired. But he has to be instructed how to take advantage of this, not just take the field and see what happens. The team - especially the forwards - we need to know what is on and how to get it done.
Obviously it's silly, and I know that Drakon didn't really mean that. Point is that, regardless of who plays in the 6 they cannot be expected to come in and be the dominant half. The whole dynamic now will rely on McCrone to steer the team around and keep the composure; he is the experienced half now and needs to step up. Likewise, McInnes needs to take control as much as he can.

Thinking that Mann, Field or Nona should (or could) fill Widdops shoes in our team is wrong. In reality, the two Mc's need to lead and whoever fills in the 6 jersey just needs to create for their outside men.

possm

Coach
Obviously it's silly, and I know that Drakon didn't really mean that. Point is that, regardless of who plays in the 6 they cannot be expected to come in and be the dominant half. The whole dynamic now will rely on McCrone to steer the team around and keep the composure; he is the experienced half now and needs to step up. Likewise, McInnes needs to take control as much as he can.

Thinking that Mann, Field or Nona should (or could) fill Widdops shoes in our team is wrong. In reality, the two Mc's need to lead and whoever fills in the 6 jersey just needs to create for their outside men.
Well said and I agree completely. I'd add if Mann shines against the Storm is will be a huge bonus rather than an expected achievement. And if Field comes on for say a 10min stint in each half and he delivers strike in our attack, that would be a good thing to continue with in future games.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Field isn't ready yet, you just need to watch the replay of Illawarra V Tigers game (the weekend before last) and see how much he was rag-dolled by a couple of the Tigers forwards, so NAS and Bromwich would really target him in both attack and defense.
How did he respond to being rag dolled? Did he play ok?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Field may turn out to be a great first grade player. Time will tell and he just needs time at the moment.

Yes he needs time.
Both he and Nona have been named for Illawarra this week.
So my guess is that Mann will start as 5/8 and Milne will come into the 17