What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who was better ?

anjado

Juniors
The off season is long and quite boring. So i thought i would come up with a discussion/game, Picking between two players or two teams etc and you explaining who was better and explaining why. Then who ever answers can nominate there own two players.

Only two rules

1) Try to name players who played in the same position.

2) Don't name blokes who no one has seen play i.e Vic Hey,Dally Messenger etc.

So i will start

Who was better ?

Andrew Ettingshausen or Steve Renouf.

gUt

Coach
I think ET was a more complete player. The Pearl had explosive speed, great evasion and a wonderful fend but was soft in defense at times.

Who was better, Shane Webcke or Steve Roach.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I think ET was a more complete player. The Pearl had explosive speed, great evasion and a wonderful fend but was soft in defense at times.

Who was better, Shane Webcke or Steve Roach.

Shane. By a margin IMO.

Daley or Fittler?

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Steve Roach for mine. Shane Flopke had the heart, the determination and desire but was often soft in the tackle impact when carting up for mine. This meant many times in origin he would go backwards when the pressure was on, not to mention both Phil Bailey and Kevin Campion castrated him of intimidatory presence. Was he ever not the third man into a tackle? Was the player ever standing before Flopke tackled him? I don't know.

Who was better, Peter Jackson or Michael O'Connor?

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Shane. By a margin IMO.

Daley or Fittler?

Daley. Fittler was by far the more complete player with a superior kick and tackling game but Daley was absolutely threatening with the ball inside the 20 and could make things happen from nowhere further out. A total menace.

Peter Jackson or Michael O Connor?

Billythekid

First Grade
Johns. Fantastic kicking, passing and running game. Could control the game so well and was also a great defender.

Would take him first before any other player no contest.

perverse

Referee
straight up head to head, Johns was a miles better player in every aspect of the game than Peter Sterling.

relative to their respective eras, however... probably still Johns, but im biased. also the only football i've seen Sterlo play is classic matches on fox sports and the odd highlights here and there over time.

who was better, Adam Macdougall or Wendell Sailor?

Big Pete

Referee
Was he ever not the third man into a tackle? Was the player ever standing before Flopke tackled him? I don't know.

No more than any other front row.

I honestly find your agenda against Webcke to be hilarious, especially when you like a player like Hannant. Cherry picking at it's finest.

Lewis over Lockyer, better leader and presence. Lockyer is an exceptional talent but there will be times he'll go missing. Check the Four Nations final to see what I'm talking about.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Lewis, he could break and penetrate any line he desired. His skill set is far superior to Lockyer's. Lockyer is a great team player, sets his outside men up very well, but Wally is the better player.

Steve Walters vs Cameron Smith

Big Pete

Referee
Forgot to nominate a player!

I'll go Smith, great hooker who like Lockyer makes all his outside players look good through his hard work through the middle. I also believe alongside JT and the front row he made the biggest difference to Queensland Rugby League.

Petero Civoniceiva vs. Steve Price

Red Bear

Referee
I'd say Petero, but I think they;re both better than Webke as far as 2000's front rowers.

Last one, I think Kimmorley as a club player shades Toovey, Toovey always had Lyons there whilst Kimmorley ran the show. Would prefer toovey in Origin, although he was a little f**kwit at club level.

As far as performances in the NRL goes, Morley vs Ellis?

Big Pete

Referee
I'd also take Civo and Price over Webcke, both are sensational players who deserve much more credit than they get for Queensland's dominance.

Morley > Ellis at this stage. But if Ellis keeps his form up he may surpass him in a season or two.

Kenny easily over Marshall. Benji still has issues in pressure situations, it seems like hail marey's are more his thing than attacking 20m out where he seems to be trying to do three things at once only to throw it into the turf. Kenny on the other hand was a sensational competitor who I feel is underated in the scheme of things - possibly because of poor selections namely by his state.