What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will be the QLD fullback?

Who will be the QLD fullback?

• Rhys Wesser

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brent Webb

• Matt Bowen

• Darren Lockyer

• Total voters

LESStar58

Referee
Tigertread said:
Biglance said:
clinton schifoske or however u spell it has little chance of making it now with his very average goal kicking over the past few weeks and hasnt set the worl on fire in attack as well
Schifcofske has again missed out on selection. Not even picked in the 22 man squad.

Its a pretty big call on the QLD selector's part. You think they'd give him another chance.

LESStar58

Referee
fibro man said:
Wesser is a walk up start. He has all the attributes to wear the maroon jumper.

Although I'm a Storm supporter, I'd have to agree with that. Billy should come off the bench as an outside back. He can cover FB wing and centre.
While we're talking about walk up starts I have 2 words for you: CAMERON SMITH

Paullyboy

Coach
Hoggy we all know the stats for tackling are woefully incorrect. The perfect example came in the roosters v broncos good friday match when Net Catic got knocked out in attempting unsuccessfully to tackle Civoniceva off the kickoff, yet he got credited with 2 tackles and 0 missed tackles. ;-)

Obviously billy slater has made a tackle in his career, called exaggerating mate, but you can not honestly tell me you think his % is anywhere near the 70's. It would be 30's at best, and he only makes those one's when he has someone helping him, he cant make a 1 on 1 tackle to save himself

Earl

Coach
Paullyboy said:
Hoggy we all know the stats for tackling are woefully incorrect. The perfect example came in the roosters v broncos good friday match when Net Catic got knocked out in attempting unsuccessfully to tackle Civoniceva off the kickoff, yet he got credited with 2 tackles and 0 missed tackles. ;-)

Obviously billy slater has made a tackle in his career, called exaggerating mate, but you can not honestly tell me you think his % is anywhere near the 70's. It would be 30's at best, and he only makes those one's when he has someone helping him, he cant make a 1 on 1 tackle to save himself

:lol: :lol: You nuffy. It couldn't be put any clearer.

All those people who think Slater can't tackle are dead set playing with themselves.

Hoggy

Bench
Paullyboy said:

Picture_62.jpg

1 minute, 1 missed tackle.

I'll just update the stats coz I got Big League today (not bad considering I am in Adelaide for the Port v Collingwood game)

Slater
48 Tackles, 11 Missed Tackles, 81.4% Efficiency

Schifcofske
28 Tackles, 9 Missed Tackles, 75.7% Efficiency

Wesser
60 Tackles, 16 Missed Tackles, 78.9% Efficiency

Bowen
21 Tackles, 10 Missed Tackles, 67.7% Efficiency

Yay now look who is on top.

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
Yeah wow. 2% more than Wesser. Slater is a turnstile in defence. Wesser is a better defender and attacker seriously he is.
I just hope the better performer will get the number 1 jersey.

Hoggy

Bench
pepstar87 said:
Yeah wow. 2% more than Wesser. Slater is a turnstile in defence. Wesser is a better defender and attacker seriously he is.
I just hope the better performer will get the number 1 jersey.

Wouldn't the fact that he has 81% efficiency for the year at full back show he ain't no bunny or do you lot just not look at facts for some reason?

If you're gonna make a stupid comment about Slater being a turnstile even though the facts prove otherwise than that is your perogative but you're wrong and any goose can see that.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Sorry Hoggy but watch the majority of one on one
slater cant defend one on one, alot of his tackles will come from kick chases (which he is very good at) and others where we will come in and finish it off

One on One he is pretty average at and his speed covers up alot of his mis-reads when there a few coming at him, watch the way schif conducts himself when its a 3 on one, or something like that, he stays cool and calm and forces the ball carry to make the decision and then he covers that, he rarely has to make the decision himself because he sums up the situation so quickly

slater will learn this with experience, but IMHO Schif is the better fullback atm and i also think slater is a better centre than fullback

thuganomics

Coach
Slaters is A much better Fullback then Centre, he gets involed alot more and looks very dangerous with the likes of Orford putting him in holes. His defence has improved in the off season , especially in One on Ones. But Shifcofske is probably the best defender one on one. Although Robbie O and Andrew Walker are also up there.

davi

Juniors
Wow. Kevin Walters is considering doing the unthinkable of moving Billy Slater to fullback despite Darius Boyd being the Kangaroo's fullback. I'll say one thing about Kevin Walters he's not afraid to make a big call.

Darius Boyd set to be replaced as Queensland fullback by Biller Slater

"AUSTRALIA custodian Darius Boyd is facing the axe as Queensland fullback for Origin I.

Australia’s fullback kingpin will run out in Friday night’s Anzac Test against New Zealand confronting the heartbreak of losing his beloved Maroons No.1 jumper later this month.

The Courier-Mail can reveal Queensland coach Kevin Walters is ready to make the toughest call of his career by recalling Billy Slater and shifting Boyd to the wing for the series opener on May 31.

Walters has been agonising over the Boyd-Slater dilemma for months, to the point where the Maroons coach even considered deploying the Storm veteran on the wing.

But Slater’s sizzling two-try display against the Dragons last week convinced Walters the 33-year-old can reprise his role as Queensland’s matchwinning fullback.
Walters accepts Boyd is Queensland’s fullback incumbent, producing the best Origin campaign of his career last season to spearhead the Maroons’ 10th series win in 11 years. But Walters is also mindful it was only Slater’s series of shoulder injuries that opened the door for Boyd.

Slater has played 22 of his 27 Origin matches at fullback and has been the Maroons’ pre-eminent custodian for the past eight years.

Queensland fullback legend Gary Belcher believes the Maroons’ backline will be at its most deadly with both Slater and Boyd in the starting side.

“I’d find a spot in the Queensland team for Billy,” he said. “They just have to get both Billy and Darius in the backline.

“If that means Billy goes to fullback and Darius moves to the wing, then so be it. Billy showed against the Dragons that he is back to his best.

“There’s some suggestion Billy could play in the centres but Darius is the one who is more versatile. They can interchange during the game. Darius can drop back and make some kick returns so there’s no reason they can’t share the fullback duties.”
Walters acknowledged Boyd’s outstanding season at fullback for Brisbane, Queensland and Australia last season.

“Darius was our best player in the Origin series last year playing fullback and he excelled on the Four Nations tour at fullback,” he said.

“But Darius has also played the majority of his Origin football on the wing.”

Walters acknowledged Boyd’s outstanding season at fullback for Brisbane, Queensland and Australia last season.

“Darius was our best player in the Origin series last year playing fullback and he excelled on the Four Nations tour at fullback,” he said.

“But Darius has also played the majority of his Origin football on the wing.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...r/news-story/a3cd274936e9b3d512044d6e75e63549

TheFrog

Coach
This has been common knowledge for some time. Boyd did an interview several weeks ago saying, through gritted teeth, that he was happy just to be in the side, even if it is on the wing.

Clifferd

Coach
Slater should have been in the kangaroo team anyway

Even with 2 years lay off, skater looks more sizzling at fullback then Boyd

RazorRam0n

Juniors
who's going to lay tries on a plate for darius this time?

why isn't he playing centre himself given how all rounded he's supposed to be?

Bronco18

Juniors
Slater will tear holes in the Blues defense.

Gotta say, I don't think Slater has brought his club form to Origin since he originally had problems with his knees. The better performing NSW teams of recent years have made a habit of isolating him from his wingers and physically bullying him.

Bronco18

Juniors
who's going to lay tries on a plate for darius this time?

why isn't he playing centre himself given how all rounded he's supposed to be?

If Walters is fair dinkum, Boyd either plays fullback or is left out of the side.

He doesn't offer what Holmes/Oates/Gagai does on the wing, except perhaps being better cover for an on field injury.

MKCS

Juniors
Slater will be 34 by game 2, Darius is approaching thirty and should probably be the Australian and QLD fullback for at least another 2-3 years where you'd expect him to start slowing down before the 2021 World Cup.

If Slater is in the squad he should be on the wing but I feel they'll put Slater there at fullback and Boyd on the wing.