What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

who would you most like to see succeed at an international l

dubby

Bench
1. NZ
2. England
3. wales
4. ireland
5. scotland
6. Russia
7.USA
8.France
9.JApan
10.Morocco
11.PNG
12.Cook Islands
13. Samoa
14.Fiji
15.Canada
16. Great Britain combined team
17. Other

legend

Coach
The biggest coup for the game would be the emergence of the USA and Russia as competetive teams within the next five years.

If we had:

Australia
New Zealand
GB
USA
Russia
PNG

as competetive teams who were capable of matching or beating Australia, then league would be massive on a global scale. The sooner we have the Kiwis and GB win a test series against Australia, the better off the international game will be.

kaon

Juniors
The Americans would give a bigger boost than what anyone could imagine but it won't happen with the current levels of investment.

Look at Soccer, they are already massive worldwide but they are still spending a fortune to try and establish themselves as a mainstream game over there.

millersnose

Post Whore
ireland

players could be picked with tenuous only links to ireland that would have a competitive international side

beattie
flannery
hannay
campion
ricketson
kimmorley
berrigan

and anyone else with an irish surname

o hara
o meley
o hare
o shyte :lol:

kaon said:
The Americans would give a bigger boost than what anyone could imagine but it won't happen with the current levels of investment.

Look at Soccer, they are already massive worldwide but they are still spending a fortune to try and establish themselves as a mainstream game over there.

I don't have facts and figures, but my impression is that union is miles ahead of league in the USA in terms of grassroots development. And soccer is way ahead of union, even though it's still a small part of the American sports market.

Sorry to sound pessimistic, but I don't see league getting competitive in the US anytime soon. I think the US sports fan would prefer it to union if given a chance, but I don't see it happening in the foreseeable future.

dubby

Bench
Russia. i have a soft spot for them, and i think it could work.

Also France, same reasons.. 8)

legend

Coach
With 400 million people, there is a chance for almost every sport to thrive. A structured competition is in place and the NRL games are now being shown on Fox Sports in the U.S. That's how it all starts.

League has the greatest chance to catch on because it's fast and rough, something the yanks like and with close to 1 million ex pat Aussies in the U.S, a certain level of support is already there.

What happens to all the college players who are not drafted into the NFL? That is a perfect place to start IMO.

The expansion of the game in the U.S represents the greatest challenge for the game today.

legend said:
With 400 million people, there is a chance for almost every sport to thrive. A structured competition is in place and the NRL games are now being shown on Fox Sports in the U.S. That's how it all starts.

League has the greatest chance to catch on because it's fast and rough, something the yanks like and with close to 1 million ex pat Aussies in the U.S, a certain level of support is already there.

What happens to all the college players who are not drafted into the NFL? That is a perfect place to start IMO.

The expansion of the game in the U.S represents the greatest challenge for the game today.

Re: those college football players, you're right Legend, they could be a good source of talent for league. I remember reading Dan Lyle, an American who plays union for Bath, and the USA Eagles, say something similar about getting those types to play union in the US. It would be interesting to know the number of "registered" union players in the US compared to league players.

But how much could either code grow on players who take up the game after finishing with college football, in their early 20s, as opposed to learning the game at a younger age?

GBT

Juniors
Forget the USA; it would be nice to have them on board, but there are easier goals.

Improve the game in France.
Catalunya (Region surrounding Barcelona) in Spain is a possibilty.
Italy
Serbia
Netherlands
Lebanon
And Morocco. What has happened to the game in that country - is Hussain M'Barki [sp] still on the scene?

Latest posts