What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are many Aussies so narrow minded ?

strong_latte

Juniors
Its so lucky you have met someone somewhere for every scenario...

I met an Aussie once who called it football and said rugby fans played a pommy game which was not as good as Aussie rules.
Therefore I've decided you are all like that.

It's unfair to paint it as universal I suppose, but I've certainly come across my fair share of Englishmen who almost visibly revulse at the mention of the word 'soccer'

pink v

Juniors
football is league union and aussie rules soccer is soccer always has been always will be

Lemon Squash

First Grade
Bored over the long weekend Phil?

You were probably one of those Proud Aussies at the anti-Islam protests too yeh?

Bored over the long weekend Phil?

You were probably one of those Proud Aussies at the anti-Islam protests too yeh?

Nice deflection .

Just bumped it to show how out of touch you sokka fans are with reality .

Your claim of taking over is laughable .
Soon as the AL has another sport to compete with it gets obliterated .
Yet yr after yr we hear the same take over/ sleeping giant mantra .

Same thing happens when up against cricket. RLlol or AFL .
It sinks beneath the waves .
Crowds & ratings go south .

I just don't inderstand the mindset .
How wil it take over ?

Lemon Squash

First Grade
It's not all about the A-League though mate, obviously the local competition is an important part of the growth of the sport but the figures of the A-League crowds aren't the be all and end all.

With Soccer it's different, I reckon you will find there a LOT more people who follow international leagues (mainly the EPL) and also the international competitions.

I'm out in the city most weekends and you see pubs packed with people watching games at all times of the morning. You don't see people staying up to there watch the ESL.

Just look at the ticket sales for the upcoming tours of some of some of the big teams that are coming out this year. Those sales have been strong right across the country- Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and even Adelaide sold out in hours.

The Socceroos are growing as a brand also you must admit that? They can now be spoken in the same breath as the Aussie Cricket team as a national icon, I'm not putting them on that level yet but 15 years ago people would have laughed at someone for even contemplating it.

The trick for the FFA is to continue to slowly convert the massive amount of Football fans who don't necessarily support the A-league to give it a crack.

Once again if you find my original post I said it was a 50 year process, not overnight. I am a massive League fan and I hope it always continue to thrive in Australia but it has already plateaued in terms of growth.
People keep talking about 'growing the game' they have been trying to do so since 1908 it's reached its peak and it is still a great product but it is what it is a game played by the East Coast of Australia, the north of England, a few pockets of NZ and PNG. Soccer is the world game, it is established in every corner of the globe and Australia is just playing catch up.

Happy to meet up in 50 years time and buy you a beer if I'm wrong.

Mong

Post Whore
Nice deflection .

Just bumped it to show how out of touch you sokka fans are with reality .

Your claim of taking over is laughable .
Soon as the AL has another sport to compete with it gets obliterated .
Yet yr after yr we hear the same take over/ sleeping giant mantra .

Same thing happens when up against cricket. RLlol or AFL .
It sinks beneath the waves .
Crowds & ratings go south .

I just don't inderstand the mindset .
How wil it take over ?

When the day comes that you realise most fans of football/soccer don't think or claim the code is or will take over any time soon (for the most optimistic amongst us) you will understand how stupid your argument is.

Last edited:

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
Brisbane's Soccer world (all 1500 of them) are going berserk after their coach was unceremoniously shoved out the door, while myself along with some 1 million or so League fans are just sitting here like "This NRL off season can f**k right off whenever it wishes".

I'm sorry "football" fanatics, but your sport of choice is only 1 or 2 rungs higher on the entertainment scale than the AFL, Cricket and Golf. The theatrics of the diving and the constant interference by the referees (even worse than NRL which is quite an achievement) are just masssssive turnoffs for a country and a culture that values good sportsmanship and energetic, free flowing sport in general.

It is certainly a religion to the Europeans and South Americans and frankly they're welcome to it. Australia thankfully is far from that.

Mong

Post Whore
:joy::joy:

The Aussie cricket team is the premier sporting team in our country so that post makes little sense.

Last edited:

thorson1987

Coach
OH5.gif

Stavros

Bench
Y
Bump.
The first 3 years of the 50 year takeover plan are not going too good .
You hate soccer, you hate AFL, You hate Union.. yep definitely a one eyed League fan. It's funny how you insecure blokes are all the same.
Do you think Rugby League is still growing?? I mean when RL has to include Touch footy and Oztag numbers in Participation numbers you know you're in deep shit

RandyAndy

Juniors
The theatrics of the diving and the constant interference by the referees (even worse than NRL which is quite an achievement) are just masssssive turnoffs for a country and a culture that values good sportsmanship and energetic, free flowing sport in general.

It is certainly a religion to the Europeans and South Americans and frankly they're welcome to it. Australia thankfully is far from that.

once the aleague bosses started interfering with teams passion and support level "you can sing but just not to much passion" along with heavy handed tactics by police especially in melbourne in the stadium turned many off.

from my experience when wsw first came the amount of passion and enthusiasm everyone had for the team was spine tingling, yes some fights broke out, flares were cracked open but who gets hurt by a flare seriously. I always likened the thought that the aleague was going through the ruff soccer years in the UK in the 60-70s which i feel cemeted the die hard fans that passed it down within their families.

yet the aleague feel that they have a family friendly product yet from my experience thier intrusions are killing the passion that the fans fell for their beloved team as they cannot express themselves fully and what put a hole in my heart was in 2016 and how we were treated for a few flares and being passionate

Pommy

Coach
once the aleague bosses started interfering with teams passion and support level "you can sing but just not to much passion" along with heavy handed tactics by police especially in melbourne in the stadium turned many off.

from my experience when wsw first came the amount of passion and enthusiasm everyone had for the team was spine tingling, yes some fights broke out, flares were cracked open but who gets hurt by a flare seriously. I always likened the thought that the aleague was going through the ruff soccer years in the UK in the 60-70s which i feel cemeted the die hard fans that passed it down within their families.

yet the aleague feel that they have a family friendly product yet from my experience thier intrusions are killing the passion that the fans fell for their beloved team as they cannot express themselves fully and what put a hole in my heart was in 2016 and how we were treated for a few flares and being passionate

A league fans are sub human. Any adult who can’t express express themselves without wearing a bandana across their face and setting off some flares needs sectioning immediately.
I’m a football fan through and throughbefore you accuse me of hating the sport. I was previously a member at a PL side and used to regularly attend non league football in the 5th and 6th tier in England so you can’t accuse me of being what a league fans call a ‘euro snob’, I was well accustomed to shit football.

Mong

Post Whore
Flares can add to atmospheres at times. I’ve never objected to them, they smell bad but it’s a small price to pay :)

Travitoh

First Grade
I'm late to the party...

I feel football/soccer is like alot of political debates in this country where there is a shift in mentality amongst the generations.

I don't know that it will overtake RL or AFL, but it can become a competitor over time.

Styles clash

Juniors
Soccer and the Socceroos are popular but the A-League has reached its limit and won't get bigger. With streaming and smart phones only the diehards will be committing suicide over who wins and loses in a competition with players who aren't good enough for about 30 other leagues.

Mong

Post Whore
Soccer and the Socceroos are popular but the A-League has reached its limit and won't get bigger. With streaming and smart phones only the diehards will be committing suicide over who wins and loses in a competition with players who aren't good enough for about 30 other leagues.

I still follow the A League and my team religiously. I also follow the NPL in a similar fashion as well even though there are probably 100 leagues most of those guys wouldn't be good enough for.

I'm not sure what your point is supposed to be.

Latest posts