What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why are soccer fans so stupid?

Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding the use of flares at an A-League soccer match last night. It’s believed a…

Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding the use of flares at an A-League soccer match last night.

It’s believed a number of flares were let off during the second half of the Melbourne Victory v Brisbane Roar game.

As a result a woman aged in her 20s and a 12-year-old boy received burns.

Two teenage boys have now been arrested and are assisting police with their enquiries.

North West Metro Commander Rick Nugent said letting off flares was highly dangerous and illegal.

“The increased criminality we are seeing at the soccer this season is completely unacceptable.” Cmdr Nugent said.

“Last season, there were eight instances where flares were let off.

“Since the first match on 10 October this season, we’ve already seen 38 flares let off and approximately 200 chairs broken.

“This is not acceptable.

“Flares are extremely dangerous. They can burn at more than 1000 degrees Celsius and are not designed to be released in highly populated areas.

“As we saw last night, people can get and will get injured if this behaviour continues.

“Irresponsible violence and criminal damage should not be infiltrating sport in Victoria.

“Victoria Police does not tolerate this behaviour, nor does the wider community.

“We have been working closely with the Football Federation Australia, the stadiums, the clubs and security to make matches a safer, more enjoyable environment for match-goers.

“But clearly there is more that needs to be done.

“There were approximately 22,000 people in attendance last night and while we know that the majority of people are well behaved, there are a certain group of individuals within the active supportive groups who go to matches with an alternative motive.

“The troublemakers are not there to watch the match; they attend to engage in criminal activity and anti-social behaviour.”

So far this season, approximately 30 people have been arrested at Victorian A-League soccer matches.

Anyone with information regarding last night’s incident is urged to contact Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or submit a confidential crime report at www.crimestoppersvic.com.au

Clair White
Media Officer

http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/news/5083-woman-and-child-burned-following-soccer-flare-up.html

strong_latte

Juniors
Soccer fans in this country tend to be poorly assimilated immigrants from countries with thuggish soccer support cultures around Europe, or white trash that have decided they'll ape euro-soccer trash. Pretty simple really

saint.nick

Coach
I love the game, and most of its fans, but some of them really are bloody deluded, and they're just another group with a persecution complex who blame their problems on everything else. They whinge, bitch and moan because their crowd misdemeanours- compared to nrl/afl crowd misdemeanours- are much more highlighted in the media, but have they ever stopped to realise that maybe its because there actually *are* a lot more fan incidents in football? For example, when's the last time you saw people ambushing rival NRL or AFL fans at pubs and bars pre and post-game? When's the last time you heard about organised hooligan fights between NRL or AFL fans?

Last edited:

WireMan

Bench
I love the game, and most of its fans, but some of them really are bloody deluded, and they're just another group with a persecution complex who blame their problems on everything else. They whinge, bitch and moan because their crowd misdemeanours- compared to nrl/afl crowd misdemeanours- are much more highlighted in the media, but have they ever stopped to realise that maybe its because there actually *are* a lot more fan incidents in football? For example, when's the last time you saw people ambushing rival NRL or AFL fans at pubs and bars pre and post-game? When's the last time you heard about organised hooligan fights between NRL or AFL fans?

By another group I assume you mean as well as NRL and afl fans.
It is the aus sport watchers past time.

There are a bunch of kids who are bored looking at placid NRL fans, but like any bunch of kids have gone to far in trying to emulate euro football fans. Only they do it by watching green street and go to far.

It is nothing like the good (bad) old days.

In aus there are no older fans to keep people on track. So they f*ck up a few times. It will sort itself out soon.

It took the UK 30 years, 2 disasters, increased police presence, banning orders, older heads leading the way, a changing attitude, wall to wall coverage, more expensive tickets, e tablets and a general change in society to stop the problems. Even now it is not all happiness and joy.

Exactly!
If only more of them thought like you.
So many of them go on with this "passion isn't a crime" bullshit...
Passion isn't a crime, they're right, but lighting a flare in a stadium is.

It's not only that it is criminal activity but it's also a complete disregard for the safety of other people.

saint.nick

Coach
By another group I assume you mean as well as NRL and afl fans.
It is the aus sport watchers past time.

There are a bunch of kids who are bored looking at placid NRL fans, but like any bunch of kids have gone to far in trying to emulate euro football fans. Only they do it by watching green street and go to far.

It is nothing like the good (bad) old days.

In aus there are no older fans to keep people on track. So they f*ck up a few times. It will sort itself out soon.

It took the UK 30 years, 2 disasters, increased police presence, banning orders, older heads leading the way, a changing attitude, wall to wall coverage, more expensive tickets, e tablets and a general change in society to stop the problems. Even now it is not all happiness and joy.

Nah, just another group in society. Typical groups over here with a persecution complex are bogans, car hoons, Dogs fans, and a few football fans who try to adopt a hybrid of UK/Eastern Europe/Greek ultras culture who often turn it into hooliganism.

It's hilarious, they even try to wear the exact same clothes that hardcore ultras in the UK wear, that being the adidas gazelles, baseball caps and general dark clothing...

saint.nick

Coach
Exactly!
If only more of them thought like you.
So many of them go on with this "passion isn't a crime" bullshit...
Passion isn't a crime, they're right, but lighting a flare in a stadium is.

It's not only that it is criminal activity but it's also a complete disregard for the safety of other people.

" :-({|= It's not fair. The media always criticises us for lighting flares, but never criticises NRL fans :( :( "

The problem with their logic is that NRL fans, apart from the really odd Saints game, don't even light flares...

saint.nick

Coach
:lol: :lol: This is exactly what I mean. I'm showing this video to the next bellend who whinges about football fans having an unfair reputation.

I don't know why we try to emulate the European "firm" BS. It's f**king embarrassing. Give each other a bit of shit, engage in banter, but leave it at that.

I've never seen the fascination with getting into a stink before or after a game. Some of the games in eastern Europe are insane. They go to a riot and a game of football breaks out.

saint.nick

Coach
Just had a debate about all this shit with a soccer ultra on facebook. He reckons that there is this media bias against aussie sockah, and that figures of crowd violence in nrl games are hidden by the media. Give me a f**king break. Come back to me about how unfair it is until aussie sockah fans get rid of this ultras sub-culture of fighting other fans, let alone ripping a flare.

In fact he said, 'why are you whinging about violence on an Ultra's page?' I replied, 'See, there's your problem. You're trying to tell me that NRL fans are no worse yet you're condoning a culture of ultras fan violence'. f**king knuckle-heads.

Mong

Post Whore
Don't know that bias is the right word, it's an easy sell though when it comes to football given some of the shite that has happened O/seas in decades gone by.

I don't care about flares, quite enjoy them the odd time they come out at Roar games, there was even one at the Bentley Greens game against Perth :)

Some of the wanderers fans in particular need a good hard look at themselves though, the ones in question don't seem to care about the code in this country given the way they carry on..

saint.nick

Coach
Don't know that bias is the right word, it's an easy sell though when it comes to football given some of the shite that has happened O/seas in decades gone by.

I don't care about flares, quite enjoy them the odd time they come out at Roar games, there was even one at the Bentley Greens game against Perth :)

Some of the wanderers fans in particular need a good hard look at themselves though, the ones in question don't seem to care about the code in this country given the way they carry on..

Yeah, dickheads like said person on facebook (who is a WSW fan, lol) believe that incidents like that at Parra stadium on the weekend still make aussie soccer no worse than nrl in terms of fan behaviour. Deluded.

Mong

Post Whore
Every code has them.. Look at ElD and co in TFC forum... Every one is out to get the NRL in their deluded world, it's generally an AFL conspiracy, or the nazi's..

It's insane, but strangely highly amusing..

Latest posts