What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why couldnt we run away with the Game

gregstar

Referee
We should be thankfull for small mercys. We defended well & we held onto the ball and won ugly for a change instead of trying to be pretty, dropping the ball, and placing pressure on ourselves! I'm happy & hope they rock up with the same attitude next Friday!

weasel

First Grade
That game was painful to watch. Ryles was fantastic. :clap: A few of our other forwards conducted themselves well too, but Barrett and Head seemed totally bereft of ideas. Wollongong seems to have nightmare weather conditions- subzero climes, pouring rain, gale force winds. Perhaps one of the reasons we're so hot and cold there. :?:

Anonymous

Juniors
I think a couple of you are being bit harsh. The wind was playing havoc and in the second half I reckon Head stepped up.

At times the match seemed to be going in slow motion but imo, the conditions played a part in that.

Saints dominated possession and had the Warriors beaten both sides of the ruck.

The whole pack played well.

Ryles is getting better with every game.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Yeah I'm with Willow on this one.

I think, as one of the Fox Commentators said, we grinded away, which is a quality in the Dragons you don't see too often.

I thought Barrett was good without being brilliant, he is really playing to his strengths by taking on the line, and setting up plays when the defence hangs off ala the Sims try.

Ryles was fantastic, but I think needs to work a little harder on cleaning up his play. He's so damaging, I'd like to see him run more and save offloading til later in the game, but he was very convincing tonight.

I thought Youngquest played well tonight. Gave Cooper an option each time, and his dummy half running was powerful. And his kick returns. Would've liked to have seen Coops pass to him a bit more.

Poore, Henderson, Kite, Young, Creagh and Withers were all very solid and played well.

I think this is one of those 'team efforts' rather than individuals winning us the game. It reminded me a lot of how the Dogs have been lately: solid with 2 or 3 gears still to go.

Oh, and Johnny Carlaw :clap: I hope we can keep this guy, I reckon he's got the goods for us. Always tries hard, and I think he and Simmonds make a good centre/wing pairing.

Southernsaint

Staff member
FFS, if we were Easts the papers & comentators would be saying how we can still win when not playing at our best, a sign of a quality team. But because we're Saints they'll write & say how we couldn't finish the job or we're inconsistent. Feck 'em all!!

Saints converted something like 2 from 6 tries. Kick a few more goals & the score gets a bit better.

Bring on Drug-Castle!!

Cheers,
Ben S.

PS: Rylesy was Man Of The Match by a mile...

Collateral

Coach
Ryles is playing the best I have ever seen him play, but has a very bad tendancy to undo all his good work with impossible offloads and dumb, dumb penalties.

I thought Henderson was a standout tonight as was Lincoln Withers again.

Jamie Lyon? Give me Nick Youngquest any day.

Dragons Cross

Juniors
I'm just happy to get away with the win against an improving Warriors team. Its still a fair score and we can't win by 50 EVERY week.

Southernsaint I'm glad the papers don't say things like that because we all know what happens when they start talking up our chances and the players start believing it.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
RedDragon said:
Ryles is playing the best I have ever seen him play, but has a very bad tendancy to undo all his good work with impossible offloads and dumb, dumb penalties.

I thought Henderson was a standout tonight as was Lincoln Withers again.

Jamie Lyon? Give me Nick Youngquest any day.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Especially the last call.

Petebix

Juniors
It was a strange one, a very comprehensive win, but the overall performance was dissapointing to me, most top 8 teams would have beaten us last night

StGeorge

Juniors
most top 8 teams would have beaten us last night

i dont think so i think we were good very professional and very patient in attack, we kept the pressure on, add gaz back in the side we will score more points

Anonymous

Juniors
I agree, IMO the conditions were difficult.
Unlike the Broncos' match at WIN, Saints played to the weather and came up trumps.

Nugby

Juniors
I was dissapointed with the score, but having said that, if we had converted all of those kicks we would have won by 26 which I would have been happy with, though matty head and riddell both kicking 1 from 3 didn't suprise me. The one time Head did convert was beautiful though, right up there with that El Masri banana kick against the Sharks. We really could have brought it up a few gears but I think thge team was just comfortable to ride it out and get constant repeat possessions to run the time down. Would have absolutely loved to see Riddell get over for that second try :D

alive103

Juniors
Nugby said:
I was dissapointed with the score, but having said that, if we had converted all of those kicks we would have won by 26 which I would have been happy with, though matty head and riddell both kicking 1 from 3 didn't suprise me. The one time Head did convert was beautiful though, right up there with that El Masri banana kick against the Sharks. We really could have brought it up a few gears but I think thge team was just comfortable to ride it out and get constant repeat possessions to run the time down. Would have absolutely loved to see Riddell get over for that second try :D

The replay of that kick didn't do it justice. It looked as if it would miss by a mile by around it swung like a putt on the 18th.

It was a solid win. I would rather us win solid and know we have things to work at, than to win by 50, go up to Drugcastle arrogant and try and play fancy. Grind the druggos away again Saints. One win and we definately play Penrith in the first semi whether that be home or away.

I wish we were playing a minor preliminary semi-final but times have changed.

Latest posts