What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why did the Roosters sign both Ryan Hall and Brett Morris?

Possible explanations:

1. Tupou is on the outer
2. Morris is there to cover full back if Tedesco is injured -- the way Ferguson has done.
3. Ryan Hall is being considered for centre, or as cover for centre in case Latrell or Joey Manu are injured.

What explanation do you have?

Lambretta

First Grade
I have no explanation other than the fact our coach picked two back rowers to play in the centres in a preliminary final and then put a centre on the wing

Sometimes, we do really, really, really, really f**king dumb things

Fergo and Toops are better wingers than either Hall or Morris
Why would we give two of our best the arse and bring in two has been's?

Gotta agree that it looks like curtains for Toops with those two coming

I wouldn't call either Morris or Hall "has beens." Both are very good players. My concern is that there has been a waste of money in buying both, when cultivating a good junior as cover for injury on the wings would have been smarter.Half of that money used for two wingers could have been better spent on a promising young prop forward.

As for losing Ferguson, it is likely that Parramatta offered much more than the Roosters could match.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Toops is going nowhere. Morris is tremendous depth at great value.

If you're Brett Morris would you rather spend your last two years at a club like the Titans, or in England; or would ypu rather spend it at a club that'll compete for Premierships?

And given Origin and injuries he's likely to still play at least 12 games a season anyway. One torn ACL or pec and he's playing the full season.

He's an ingenious signing at what he cost.

Lambretta

First Grade
I wouldn't call either Morris or Hall "has beens." Both are very good players. My concern is that there has been a waste of money in buying both, when cultivating a good junior as cover for injury on the wings would have been smarter.Half of that money used for two wingers could have been better spent on a promising young prop forward.

As for losing Ferguson, it is likely that Parramatta offered much more than the Roosters could match.

How much are we spending on each? - if we got Morris cheap, then happy days
If they're not has beens, they're both definitely past their prime

Hall is a beast of a player, but he's lost pace and will not transition to the NRL. OK so it doesn't help his form playing in a Leeds side that is sitting in the bottom 4 but you don't get to the age of 30 and then suddenly want to go up a level in a speed position. Signing him is just daft. Signing him 5 or 6 years ago would have been genius.

As others have said, Daniel Tupou is not on the outer. In fact since he came back form injury this year he has shown he is anything but. Fact is we are losing Ferguson, and Reece Robinson showed in his games this year he is not up to NRL standard and I doubt will be retained considering he was on a one year deal.

As such Hall and Morris will be competing for the spot to be vacated by Ferguson with the other player off to Intrust Super Cup, barring injury. Remember, Hall may be a test winger but he is unproven in the NRL and we don't know whether he will be a success or turn out like Joe Burgess did. Morris is a known quantity at NRL level, and can also play fullback, but his ability to avoid injury is a bit of a worry.

In all honesty I doubt we are paying them big money somehow.

Lambretta

First Grade
Why would Ryan Hall come out to play reserve grade? Holiday in the sun? Albeit a working one

Why would Ryan Hall come out to play reserve grade? Holiday in the sun? Albeit a working one

It doesn't make any sense.

During Origin Brett Morris will be full back and Ryan Hall on the wing. But that is only for three games maximum. So Hall must have been promised something.

Tommy Smith

Referee
So reports out of the UK is that Ryan Hall may have suffered a serious knee injury :(

More proof of why we signed BMoz.

Valheru

Coach
I had a bad feeling about the Hall signing from the very beginning and the club should seriously consider revoking the contract.

I am a bit more positive about BMoz, he is past his best to be sure but I think he can play a key role on the wing in a polished side (which we should be next year) as a finisher and solid defender.

I don't blame the club for letting Fergo go, there are other priorities in terms of list management but we will miss all the work he has been doing this year. BMoz will do his fair share but we will really need Latrell to step up in that regard and increase his work rate.

When Ryan Hall recovers from his ACL he will compete for one wing spot, but he will also be cover for an injury to Latrell Mitchell or Joey Manu. He is big enough and strong enough to be a centre, Joey Leilua style. He would be much better as a centre than our "Mr Fixit" Mitch Aubusson, who offers little in attack in the centres.

kbw

Bench
I think the important thing is that often the timing that it comes out in the media is often different to how it went down

Ryan Hall could be fit by March (if he follows Josh Hodgson's trajectory with ACL recovery) but in the worst case he would be fit by May.

So that would tend to favour Brett Morris as the starting winger given that he will be fit for the preseason training.

Many people seem to think that Daniel Tupou has his wing position in cement. But if he keeps on colliding with James Tedesco in pursuit of the high kicks then that may not be the case in 2019.

Latest posts