What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why does Sydney media hate rugby league?

mongoose

Coach
View attachment 9613

Came across this when I was reading Kent's article on Ron Massey.

I find Kent's response very interesting. Is anyone able to elaborate on how exactly reporting on NRL in Sydney changed after the Super League War? I was only 3 years old at the time of the super league war haha

not sure but might also be why the Broncos get a much softer touch up in Brisbane...

Cumberland Throw

First Grade
View attachment 9613

Came across this when I was reading Kent's article on Ron Massey.

I find Kent's response very interesting. Is anyone able to elaborate on how exactly reporting on NRL in Sydney changed after the Super League War? I was only 3 years old at the time of the super league war haha

well 2 media orgs basically ripped the game in 2 and used their respective media clout to write propoganda articles deriding the other side... this was when negativity came in.. and never left

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
well 2 media orgs basically ripped the game in 2 and used their respective media clout to write propoganda articles deriding the other side... this was when negativity came in.. and never left
Exactly. It sold loads of papers and gave rise to a generation of journos who weren't reporters, but mouthpieces for either side and became minor celebs themselves.

By the time the dust had settled, the method of reporting had changed. Sensationalism and opinion became more important than facts. It sold papers though, so the vicious and agenda driven mouthpieces kept on doing what had brought them initial attention, and here we still are.

Brutus

Referee
Typical Telegraph shit, bringing up the Cronulla race riots in relation to the Sharks in the grand final.

Parra

Referee
Exactly. It sold loads of papers and gave rise to a generation of journos who weren't reporters, but mouthpieces for either side and became minor celebs themselves.

By the time the dust had settled, the method of reporting had changed. Sensationalism and opinion became more important than facts. It sold papers though, so the vicious and agenda driven mouthpieces kept on doing what had brought them initial attention, and here we still are.

This sums it up. Long lasting damage.

Teddyboy

First Grade

I wonder if these journos who use sensationalism and negative stories on the chosen sport are not real sports fans I mean someone who maybe being a so called Rugby League journalists but put's the game down well I bet they can't sit down and relax and watch a game after work ?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Interesting Greenburg fired a shot across the bows of negative journalists last night in his Dally M speech. Something along the lines of stop being negative about the game. Of course he has no balls to do anything about it but at least we know he knows lol.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Funny how, the swans provide free tickets and corporate facilities to most media types in Sydney..

Even uber vouchers on saturday nights to SCG..

All of them are on the teet;

John Stanley
Tony Squires
Bec Bourbon
Jim Wilson
Chris Bath
Bill Woods
Garry Linnell
Terry Kennedy
Andrew Webster

Wonder why the get such a featherbed approach..

You're being critical of good media management? Maybe we should do the same not just bleat about how unfair it is?

taipan

Referee
Interesting Greenburg fired a shot across the bows of negative journalists last night in his Dally M speech. Something along the lines of stop being negative about the game. Of course he has no balls to do anything about it but at least we know he knows lol.

So Greentea then stops journos attending training sessions and interviewing players ,they then give stuff all publicity to the game including the negatives we get now.Then we have to pay for publicity sheesh that'll do the trick.:beer:

He was also I suggest referring to the likes of Gould on 9 Kent on Fox and the AFL pleb types on Back Page and Fluffsiders who try to bag the NRL when it's time and the other hangers on and those coaches who continually bag refs ,bunkers etc.

Every negative whether created by players ,clubs, the media grabs hold of it,rams it down the public's throat,and sponsors either rack off or give us a miss.

Bout time the code's CEO stood up about the continual negative vibes,the geese we had before either ummed aaghed ,or shot off to Paree on their Malvern Star bikes.They brought in the true meaning of the word "gutless".

Notice DUI has been absent of late,and the Telecrap is actually giving the Sharks a decent run,even competing with the Ducks.

El Diablo

Post Whore
if he had any balls then he would strip certain journos of their accreditation

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wonder if the NRL has a media management strategy? bag the afl off all you like for its media control but I'd much rather not be reading continual sht being heaped on the game, no matter how it was achieved.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So Greentea then stops journos attending training sessions and interviewing players ,they then give stuff all publicity to the game including the negatives we get now.Then we have to pay for publicity sheesh that'll do the trick.:beer:

Doesnt happen in other sports, journos quickly realise which side their bread is buttered and fall into line. Just giving them free reign to sht on the game with no consequence is creating a damn site more damage to public and corporate perception of the game than short term teeth nashing of a few journos who get accreditation privalleges suspended or cancelled if they f**k the game over too many times,

In the media deal news ltd have promised to promote the game positively, just hold them to it. Presuming of course the NRL was sensible enough to actually write it into the contract?

taipan

Referee
Doesnt happen in other sports, journos quickly realise which side their bread is buttered and fall into line. Just giving them free reign to sht on the game with no consequence is creating a damn site more damage to public and corporate perception of the game than short term teeth nashing of a few journos who get accreditation privalleges suspended or cancelled if they f**k the game over too many times,

In the media deal news ltd have promised to promote the game positively, just hold them to it. Presuming of course the NRL was sensible enough to actually write it into the contract?

AFL the media grovels at the feet of that code,its admin and players in Melbourne.They have an off field incident ,gets in the paper for a day,then quickly forgotten.The AFL has a large number of captains of industry involved ,the media doesn't want to get them offside.That code has such a huge presence in Victoriania ,getting them offside,means loss of paper sales.They have Melbourne virtually to themselves.

In Sydney ,the media can pass on fluff pieces for the fumblers ,if they don't get NRL stories.

Here we have DUI Bec posing as an NRL fan,but has openly stated she is a Swan's fan.The News mob have too many ex Mexicans involved at high level including their Editor,Southern press does not have NRL influence.
The point is, here if a NRL player goes off the rails,it is in the paper day after day.
The Herald let's clowns like FitzSimons regularly swipe at the code.
Why did the Telegraph hide a story about AFL player Proud being jailed ,tucked away with a few lines at the bottom of a page?.Ask the AFL inclined Editor.
Even Patrick Smith in the News owned Australian had a second shot at NRL recently.

You obviously have never heard of freedom of the press,you can;t gag unless you want to live in Saudi Arabia or Nth Korea.
Positives usually comes with contra for any PR work,and the Sharks are now getting a decent run.

News Ltd Telegraph and SMH print sales are down,and contuse to drop.If they don't get the message now they never will.
Well as you helped write the NRL TV and media deals,we know they would have listened to your expert advice LOL.

You did hear Murdoch's quip"We prefer AFL" I'll say no more.