What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why doesnt the coach use the young guns???

dino2170

Juniors
I was watching a few games on foxtel yesterday and most of the teams were using young players in first grade. More paticulary the BULLGRUBS. Most of the young guns played very good and didnt look overawed by the situation.

It made me think that our coach is hesitant in playing our young guns whilst other teams have no such direction. WHY?

Is there are a hidden agenda?

Drakon

Juniors
There could be many reasons. I just think Mary likes 'stability'. Likes a predictable option. Maybe likes to limit the size off his losses. LOL

getsmarty

Immortal
He hasn't been able to program them into playing his silly structured Footy. Must be all J.D's fault.

Old Timer

Coach
The answer is simple
The youngsters would want the freedom to play what they see in front of them, after all that's how they got as good as they are in the competitions they have played in to date.
Mary doesn't understand, let alone like it, so he doesn't pick them.
If Mary was a boxer he would just keep walking in like a big oaf, offering little and get continually smashed.
He would never learn from it and do exactly the same thing every fight hoping that ultimately he can get a win but sadly at the end of his career he ends up barely mediocre and brain damaged.
His NRL coaching career is following that exact path.

Bench
I saw that Newcastle had three players all 20-21. Brownie is not afraid to blood younger players and even the commentator remarked that Newcastle will be all the better for that, maybe not this year but 2018.

Uplifting

Juniors
Dino the biggest contradiction for me is that Mary won't give young backs at the Dragons a go, however would love to get Bird back at the club???

Uplifting

Juniors
Mary lacks vision. Someone else has to give a young player a go before he sees them as a first grader.

This is a classic example of 'vertical thinking'. Vertical thinking amounts to copying and predictable step by step approaches to trouble shooting. 'Lateral thinking' depends on interpreting what is in front of you without preconceived opinions. It leads to creativity, objectivity, experimentation and quick effective solutions.

Last edited:

latemail

Juniors
The answer is very simple
He is as useless as a chocolate teapot
f**king clueless is stating the bleating obvious

ALSGI

Bench
Our genius 3 Amigos Mcf**kwit, Young and Hornby as Coaches since 2015:

Who (besides Field in 2017 for 10mins) have they blooded into FG in 3 years?

Milne 2016
Host 2016
Leilua 2016
Hutchinson 2015
Aitken 2015
Gylmin 2015
Have I missed anyone?

Additionally, others in our squad that have FG experience for Dragons or other clubs are Marketo, Havilli, Mathews and McCarthy.

Our 3 Amigos have blooded 6 into FG ?

That's not to bad really, or is it?

kit66

Bench
Milne was terrific in last year's round 23 clash with Cronulla, one of our best in a game we won, he was all over them in defence and made a couple of important breaks. I'm really surprised he wasn't even considered for this re-match.
We seem happier to let young prospects go rather than give them a shot.

j0nesy

Bench
It's simple really. McGregor has to win as many games as possible by round 6. He has picked the team that he believes will do that for him. He's not thinking about the future beyond that. Not even the remainder of this season. We'll be 4 from 6 and he'll survive. In the mean time guys like Mann, Field, Dufty, Leilua and Milne will get zero first grade game time and therefore zero experience.

Morotti

Juniors
He is picking the team he thinks is the best each week. I mean do we know for a fact that these younger guys are banging down the door in the lower grades? Are they tearing up the training paddock? Is he actually overlooking players? Or is he picking the best.

Newcastle is a pretty poor example as they have no one else to turn to.

We are 3rd after three rounds with 2 good performances and one mediocre performance. Do we have to change for change's sake?

Was surprised Lafai got there ahead of Milne.

With Dufty and Field they are coming from the 20's and it is a huge step up to NRL level. Happy for them to get their experience against seasoned men in the NSW Cup. No point throwing them in the deep end and dampening their confidence. Or them getting a significant injury as their body still needs time to grow and mature.

And why does everyone bash Nighty? Our most consistent player out there. Veteran leader. Zero mistakes. Does all the little things right. He is no world beater anymore but he has played 200 + first grade games. Won grand finals, won WCC, permanent fixture in the NZ squad still and has played 31 international games. He is the type of player that NRL teams need.

Smoove_Saint

Juniors
Its because Mary is a genius, I mean who else would only use 3 subs in a game just to satisfy he's ego and leave a decent style player to go stale on the bench with no game time? Absolute brilliance!!