What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why don't our players progress?

Pommy

Coach
Since 2014 which players have progressed whilst still playing at Souths?
A good few seem to have after leaving but the ones who have stayed seem to have stood still or gone backwards.

SBD82

Coach
Since 2014 which players have progressed whilst still playing at Souths?
A good few seem to have after leaving but the ones who have stayed seem to have stood still or gone backwards.
Walker immediately springs to mind. I thought he was good tonight.

Pommy

Coach
Walker immediately springs to mind. I thought he was good tonight.

Has he progressed. He made his debut last year and made an impact. He was already 26 when he did this. Was it Souths or Norths who developed him?
I'm thinking of players like

The twins (backwards)
Turner (stood still)
Keary (backwards now forwards)
McInnes (stood still with us, still to decide at dragons but I suspect he will improve)

betcats

Referee
There have been a few reports that Madge runs a fairly hard core regime(for lack of a better word), now if true that sort of thing would wear thin after a while, not everyone is going to keep responding. Especially after your success. I mean you guys really built for a few years towards that premiership and were great for half of the next season before the wheels really came off.

In regards to the young guys, when they are first coming into grade they want it so bad they are willing to work as hard as they have to for that spot, but after a few years of it the motivation might not be there especially in a strict environment.

doyen

Bench
I have rarely enjoyed the military style,dour,big forward,head-down,arse-up approach of Madge.
Even when we were regularly winning.

Take a risk with the ball,mate,but make an error at your own peril!!!

It does run very thin & at times it is extremely difficult to endure as a spectator---forget the results!!!!

The only truly smart player we have at present is Walker who seems to be adventurous despite what the coach might demand.
The rest are programmed robots & well & truly under the thumb.

In saying the above,however,I have seen signs in the first few games of this year an inkling of an evolution to a more expansive & adventurous approach. Just an INKLING however!!
Walker is setting the example in this regard & is our best "true football" player.

Last edited:

foreverinourshadow

First Grade
i was just thinking about our old no4 manoa thompson whom is jared haynes dad wow could he run long distance and score many scintillating tries,ive seen manoa score 4 tries in one game talakai will never do that he is far too slow and bulky.......im too worked up at present i can see clearly r20 i strongly suggest you do the same mate our team is shiiit there is no sugar coating in my truth telling wait and see (cows)GULP.....Shadow...

Last edited:

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Most of the premiership players haven't progressed because they were at their peak when we won in 2014. Aaron gray has improved significantaly, Walker has become twice the player he was when he debuted, for me AJ has been really good this year filling in for GI and has shown significant improvements to his game. In 2014 he filled in for fullback for Australia and was absolutely hopeless. If AR didn't get those unlucky injuries in 2015/16 then he could of been one of the best halfbacks in the game. I think to look at the coach is too simplistic. 1 mil of our cap is going to reserve grade players? Do you know the sort of players we could spend 500k on? 500k would buy you a gillette, Vaughn, wade graham. But no we get two twins who can't hold onto a ball.

southsport

First Grade
Our players don't progress because they hear what shada, his mate and R20 say about them and just think "what's the point, why bother trying?"

Rabbits20

Immortal
Out forwards aren't big enough Southy.

Clark, Turner and Rochow are not big enough. Sutto is ageing.

Our backs are really struggling. We have a few that are not first graders!!!!!

It's a mess.

Pommy

Coach
Most of the premiership players haven't progressed because they were at their peak when we won in 2014. Aaron gray has improved significantaly, Walker has become twice the player he was when he debuted, for me AJ has been really good this year filling in for GI and has shown significant improvements to his game. In 2014 he filled in for fullback for Australia and was absolutely hopeless. If AR didn't get those unlucky injuries in 2015/16 then he could of been one of the best halfbacks in the game. I think to look at the coach is too simplistic. 1 mil of our cap is going to reserve grade players? Do you know the sort of players we could spend 500k on? 500k would buy you a gillette, Vaughn, wade graham. But no we get two twins who can't hold onto a ball.

I will give you Gray. Walker due to his age I feel is in a different catagory I probably should have asked the question a bit different to start with.

alien

Referee
Out forwards aren't big enough Southy.

Clark, Turner and Rochow are not big enough. Sutto is ageing.

Our backs are really struggling. We have a few that are not first graders!!!!!

It's a mess.

Turner and Rochow are both 190 cm and 103 kg - that's big enough. Sutton is going alright, but he might retire after next season.

We'll be stronger in the backs when some players come back from suspensions and injuries.

Latest posts