What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why don't we have 100 metre individual sprint at Auckland Nines?

Why stop at the 100 metre sprint? Why not introduce a whole raft of other sports and make it into a massive two week carnival? We could ask all of the best athletes from around the world to come and compete and we could give out medals for each of the events, Lets just hold it every four years though because it would be a bit expensive.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
That is a very narrow view. According to your perspective we should not play Nines, because that is not pure rugby league.

Is Nine's rugby league? Yes, then how is it my perspective when I clearly said they're there to play rugby league, not track and field? Pretty simple really. They're there to play league, therefore they play league.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
This is not a new idea.

Back in the 1960s and 70s, the fastest players who weren't in the Grand Final teams competed in a 100 metre sprint either before the main match or at half time (forget which).

JamesRustle

First Grade
I'm all for it so long as participants aren't subject to a drug test, or if they are, it is adjudicated as out of season/not game day for penalties.

Diesel

Referee
Hot dog eating contest. The winner of the semi finals George Rose (Manly) v Marty Bella (Bulldogs) v Steve Roach (Tigers) v Andrew Fafita (Cronulla) v Daryl Brohman (Penrith) vs Shane Richardson

Jordan

Juniors
Inglis is criminally overrated in the speed stakes.

I remember when Pearce mowed him down easily two years ago.

Freak of a player; but average speed.

He was lightning when he first came into the grade. Never knew what the obsession was with bulking him up.

He was noticeably overweight in that Gatorade sprint thing he was in as well.

Walpole

Juniors
I'm all for it, as long as they all wear full football kit (including boots) and carry a ball. None of this bike shorts and tank top bullshit.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Some times for 100m if you scour the net:

Roberts - 11 seconds (aged 14)
Korobeite - 10.7
Gela- Mosby 10.24
Shane Wherat - 10.5
Hayne 11.2
Jennings 11.2

Fastest Players per club - by various measures http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...7/news-story/63e3f2b5c270ac986328d49beb53dcd2

Roberts - Broncos
Santo, Rapana - Raiders
Reimis Smith - Dogs
Holmes - Sharks
Hurrell - Titans
Peter Schuster - Manly
Addo-Carr - Storm
Nick Meaney - Knights
Gela Mosby - Cows
Jennings - Eels
Blake - Panthers
Johnston - Souths
Jai Field - Dragons
Fergo? - Easts
RTS, Lolohea, Johnston - Warriors

ed-grimley

Bench
Some times for 100m if you scour the net:

Roberts - 11 seconds (aged 14)
Korobeite - 10.7
Gela- Mosby 10.24
Shane Wherat - 10.5
Hayne 11.2
Jennings 11.2

Fastest Players per club - by various measures http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...7/news-story/63e3f2b5c270ac986328d49beb53dcd2

Roberts - Broncos
Santo, Rapana - Raiders
Reimis Smith - Dogs
Holmes - Sharks
Hurrell - Titans
Peter Schuster - Manly
Addo-Carr - Storm
Nick Meaney - Knights
Gela Mosby - Cows
Jennings - Eels
Blake - Panthers
Johnston - Souths
Jai Field - Dragons
Fergo? - Easts
RTS, Lolohea, Johnston - Warriors
A bit of perspective:
I've seen Roberts listed in the high 10's.
Norths legend Ken Irvine allegedly ran low 10's
NFL player Tyreek Hill has been timed at high 9's - this guy is quick (check him out on youtube)

Paullyboy

Coach
With all due respect to the times mentioned above, I doubt each and every one of them are accurate.

myrrh ken

First Grade
Whereat was the Botany gift and Hayne was at that Gatorade thing. Dunno where the rest came from - they don't sound wildly inaccurate though.