What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WHY NO INTEREST

dino2170

Juniors
The members on this forum I noticed have little interest in the 9s. I also noticed there is a lot of sarcas concerning the nines even on the THE AUKLAND NINES SQUAD. I ask you why?

Ar'nt you all interested in seeing all combinations in play for this competition? Arent you interested in us beating teams with speed and more speed. (even though we have not progressed well in this competition).

I wonder if we won this competition that this enough to change the hard judges opinions of this forum?

Old Timer

Coach
I follow the NRL with a passion.
I will watch the 9's as a matter of interest to only see if we have any ability to make a break and anyone who can run very fast.
The question is will any of what happens in the 9's translate to what happens in the NRL?
I don't think it will make any difference to our lot.

Emu01

Juniors
The way the Dragons have performed at the nines so far has been nothing short of disgraceful..

They even looked uninterested last year, so I think why bother getting into it when the team don't care much for it..

We have hardly won 1 game each year and I think this year will be the same.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I am more interested this year because the club is taking it a little more seriously and sending some promising juniors. Hopefully they get game time. If you look at Parra last years winners, the nines kick started Bevan French's career. Hopefully it will do the same for Dufty and Field. Hoping for a better showing than last year in any case.

Still too hot to be playing footy.

silverex

Bench
For me, the Nines is like the Big Bash.

Traditional games have been interfered with and their integrity compromised to satisfy today's 'instant gratification' society.

Winning or losing the Nines means nothing in the whole scheme of things (apart from the financial benefit if you win).

Just my opinion.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
I will watch the Nines to see how the boys go. It is a shame that Garrick and Vaughan are not playing. Last year I thought that Dufty and Hutchison played well.

Crush

Coach
I am really looking forward to watching the 9s but probably because I have been starved of rugby league for 3 months. If the 9s were on at the end of the nrl season I wouldnt give a toss about it but now I cannot wait until the weekend!!!

TomRedVRiver

Bench
The nines is a bit of fun, that's about it. I don't think any club really takes it seriously, have a look at some of the squads that certain clubs are bringing over.

As OT said, i'll be watching to see who can put on a good step, show some vision and burn a little speed but I won't be too worried if we lose every game.
I'll still be glued to the TV though, it's fun to watch.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
The nines is a bit of fun, that's about it. I don't think any club really takes it seriously, have a look at some of the squads that certain clubs are bringing over.

As OT said, i'll be watching to see who can put on a good step, show some vision and burn a little speed but I won't be too worried if we lose every game.
I'll still be glued to the TV though, it's fun to watch.

If we lose every game, expect a similar season to last year ie no attack, lacklustre play, no blooding of juniors. If we show a bit of creativity in attack, win our share of games, test the young blokes against the big boys, then it should give the team and players a bit of confidence going into the main rounds. I don't think it means too much, but it doesn't mean nothing either.

Drakon

Juniors
Nine rookies to set Auckland Nines alight
Fri 03 Feb, 2017, 7:00am
By Martin Gabor ‌, National Correspondent , NRL.com
EMAIL
PRINT

image.ashx

The Downer NRL Auckland Nines have traditionally provided untested rookies with a platform to go toe-to-toe with some of the best in the game in a bid to show they are NRL ready. Here are nine players you should keep an eye out for this weekend.

Braidon Burns (Rabbitohs)

It mightn't have been as flashy as the Robbie Farah deal, but the Rabbitohs made a more than handy signing when they picked up Braidon Burns from the Panthers. The talented centre was a mainstay in Penrith's NYC team that claimed the minor premiership last season with 20 tries, 17 line breaks, 64 tackle breaks and 12 try assists. In Round 10 against the Warriors, Burns became just the seventh player in the NYC to score five tries in a match.

Nick Cotric (Raiders)

Name a more damaging duo than Jarrod Croker and Joey Leilua in the centres. The truth is you can't. But in Nick Cotric, the Raiders have one of the most talented outside backs coming through the ranks, and it would come as no shock to see the 18-year-old get a shot in first grade in 2017. Cotric is already the complete package, boasting size, speed and incredible footwork. His 135 tackle breaks were the fifth-most in the NYC last year, while he also finished in the top five at the Raiders for tries, try assists, line breaks and offloads. Give him an inch and the 2016 Team of the Year member will take a mile on the open expanses at Eden Park.

Matt Dufty (Dragons)

One of the most hyped players to have graduated from the NYC last year, Matt Dufty will use his second trip to the Nines as a platform to impress ahead of the new NRL season. The flashy fullback finished his time in the Holden Cup as the leading try-scorer in the competition's history with 55 four-pointers from 65 appearances. His footwork and agility will make him a defender's nightmare in the nine-a-side format, as will his ability to create space for teammates. Dufty produced 40 try assists over the past two seasons and his ball-playing could be telling across the weekend.

Bernard Lewis (Roosters)

The Roosters have named a squad brimming with explosive backline talent, including a couple of rookies from last year in Latrell Mitchell and Joseph Manu who went on to become household names in the NRL. While Johnny Tuivasa-Sheck is the name most people will be drawn to, watch out for his NYC premiership-winning teammate Bernard Lewis. The winger finished 2016 as the club's leading try-scorer (19) and tallied the same number of line breaks to again lead the way for the Roosters. Lewis was a shining light for the Junior Maroons, scoring a hat-trick in a losing effort, and his speed and strength will be handy assets in Auckland.

Esan Marsters (Wests Tigers)

It's always hard to judge Holden Cup graduates when they come out of the under-20s, but there are no two ways about it with Esan Marsters; he will play first grade in 2017. Two destructive years in the second-row for the Tigers has him readied to make the step up to the NRL if called upon by Jason Taylor. The Junior Kiwis representative finished his NYC career with 24 tries from 39 appearances – fantastic numbers for an edge forward – and his ability to ball play has him well-suited to the Nines format.

Tyrone May (Panthers)

If speedy players are a dime a dozen in the Nines, then utility players are worth their weight in gold. Just look at Panthers young-gun Tyrone May. He played fullback, five-eighth, hooker, lock and back-row for the 2015 NYC premiers, before switching between lock and five-eighth last season. May finished as the Panthers' joint-leading try-scorer in 2015, and backed it up with a mixture of workmanlike and flashy performances last season to help his side to back-to-back grand finals. Capable of churning out tackles or setting up tries, May could be a key cog in Penrith's Nines assault.

Marcelo Montoya (Bulldogs)

Back-to-back years as the Bulldogs leading NYC try-scorer has Marcelo Montoya primed to fight his way into Canterbury's first-grade team in 2017. After failing to score in the first two rounds last season, Montoya crossed in 14 of his final 16 matches – including three doubles and a hat-trick – to finish the year with 19 tries. The winger was a shining light for the blue and whites last year and will be well supported in Auckland by last season's NYC Clubman of the Year, D'Rhys Miller.

Linc Port (Storm)

When your uncle is Cowboys legend Matt Bowen, chances are you're going to be pretty handy with a footy. The former Northern Pride speedster was snapped up by the Melbourne Storm's feeder team Easts Tigers, and after impressing coaching staff this pre-season, was rewarded with a spot in the club's training camp in Geelong. While fullback is his preferred spot, Port is comfortable on the wing where he was picked for the Queensland Residents last year. With fellow speedsters Josh Addo-Carr and Curtis Scott also in the Nines squad, don't be shocked to see the Storm outdo their final four effort from 2016.

Gehamat Shibasaki (Broncos)

Brisbane's endless assembly line of centres looks set to continue with Gehamat Shibasaki selected to make his Auckland Nines debut. The 18-year-old featured in all 24 of Brisbane's NYC games last season in the three-quarter line and represented the Junior Maroons in the under-20's State of Origin. Shibasaki produced impressive numbers in all the key areas, scoring 14 tries, producing 11 line breaks and averaging roughly 135 metres per game. He could have a field day in Auckland playing outside the likes of Anthony Milford, Darius Boyd and Benji Marshall.

http://www.nrl.com/nine-rookies-to-set-auckland-nines-alight/tabid/10874/newsid/103401/default.aspx

SEAT 1A

Bench

Agree with this. Last time I watched the 9's was years ago.

Only had interest in Dragons and the second tier countries, going for the underdog.
The US were getting flogged and decided to start to pass gridiron style. That was fun.

Uplifting

Juniors
I'm interest for sure. Will be great to see the Dragons play for the first time in 2017.

There is a lot of 'unknown' about the squad and I expect there will be a few discoveries as a result.

Old Timer

Coach
One of my biggest worries about the 9's is if Dufty, Field, Mann do really well and impress with most aspects of their game and then they are not selected in the NRL team.
A moment of enjoyment can turn into a 6 - 8 round nightmare of people saying:

How did Lafai, Marketo, Mc Crone get a start ahead of the blokes that went well?

Of course there is also the other side of the coin where the youngsters might make a few silly mistakes e.g. throw an intercept pass or get easily stepped when the opposition score and Mc Fookknuckle comes out and says
"Yeah they went alright but obviously they need to spend some time in the lower grades to learn more"

Potentially more downside for fans and youngsters than upside as in reality what is the real chances of the youngsters being picked Rd 1 off the back of their 9's performance?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
This will be great viewing and a good chance to see the youngsters in the dragons squad have a crack.

Just to have any form of League on the telly with the red v is good enough. Long time coming.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
One of my biggest worries about the 9's is if Dufty, Field, Mann do really well and impress with most aspects of their game and then they are not selected in the NRL team.
A moment of enjoyment can turn into a 6 - 8 round nightmare of people saying:

How did Lafai, Marketo, Mc Crone get a start ahead of the blokes that went well?

If Dufty, Field and Mann really impress and Mary does not play them in the NRL, then that is another nail to his coffin if they go bad in the NRL regular season. I doubt he will take that risk as his job is really on the line here. We hope it is anyway