What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why will the warriors be better in 2018?

legs 11

Juniors
So we've got a new conditioning guy....really so what??..I'm pretty sure every team follows basically the same pre season program.
Tohu Harris...maybe he'll make a difference?

What else?

ozbash

Referee
We've got rid of Foran ?
Hopefully don't sign Blake Green and give Ata a fair crack
I think the team will be better but I don't think that's our problem.. we had a good team last season.

Iafeta

Referee
I think players would like us to believe all preseasons are the same under the veil of PR and diplomacy but I don't think that is the case. I think Hoff was trying to be the ultimate good guy publicly when he would say it was no different to Melbourne.

Surprisingly for me I'm looking forward to Peta Hiku. One think Kata used to be good at was breaking the first tackle but then his unwillingness to pass would mean sometimes we didn't capitalise. I think Hiku is more agile and nimble and can promote the football.

The other things I'm looking forward to is a full season of Roache because I think Luke needs to feel under pressure to be forced into performing (if that is he is actually still physically capable), Jazz getting more first grade (I like his desire to be in everything and scrap for every inch), and frankly no more Foran. I think after Forans first two games which got his agents phone ringing Foran frankly gave up interest. There was still some nice polish and he took it to the line a lot, perhaps too much and because he has lost speed defences weren't too worried, but ultimately he was becoming a handbrake to others developing. Jim Doyle surprisingly even gave up the ghost post season and seemed to admit that Foran really hadn't been helping Ata or Linos development. That was a big statement from such a staunch Foran loyalist.

I'm not sure we make the 8 but I look forward to the blokes of the future developing.

JJ

Immortal
The only way Roache and Hingano etc will develop is if they play, and the process never involved them playing...

I expect us to end in a similar place - outside the 8... if they are given lots of games, I'd expect improvements in 2019 and 2020 - if we continue as is it's not good - someone like Green would be a handy signing, but I just don't get it - in theory Foran was an international half who could play and help develop others, neither happened... Green would do a better job of both, but isn't coaching staff here for the latter?

legs 11

Juniors
all though i say pre season programs are basiclly al the same....doing 10 back to back 400mtr runs at 50% is much different than doing them at 100%...Its all about intensity and effort.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
When guys like Lisone/Kata aren't guaranteed a starting spot, it can only be an improvement.

Better depth, better attitude, less players who will lose a game through sheer stupidity.

10th spot here we come.

Iafeta

Referee
all though i say pre season programs are basiclly al the same....doing 10 back to back 400mtr runs at 50% is much different than doing them at 100%...Its all about intensity and effort.

Basically, yeah.

The differences I see between PTs capabilities is immense. There's dudes who have good bodies but know only one method which doesn't work for everyone, there's text book junkies who've never been overly successful, there's PTs who just do it to hook up, and then there's well rounded PTs.

All the NRL trainers are exceptional. So this isn't a slight on any of them or the Warriors trainer. They could be 1% off the capabilities off another clubs training team. They could be a year behind A knowing the litany of new training and nutritional theory and B understanding how to effectively apply it to this roster. When you are dealing with elite athletes that can make a huge difference, and personally I think our blokes were unable to keep up from an endurance perspective. We were god awful in nearly every second half and as is typical, faded horrifically at the back end of the year.

I think the Broncos training lad will make a difference. There is a very high opinion of him in the league. Sometimes it's the backup roles that make a lot of difference. For me, Craig Walker stands out - he did a great job at the Warriors and at the Roosters. David Fairleigh never gets a big mention but he's done a good job with Paul Green and I think his experience was very valuable to Ivan at the Warriors.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Why will we different this year

More pressure will be on Kearney, the training wheels are off now. Has to show improvement or the door.

New condition coach, hopefully he'll kick these guys into top shape.

No Foran, who played alright to begin with but then just appeared tired and not at 100%.

No real significant big buys, possibly excluding Tohu Harris of course. When we sign the cheaper/bargain kind of guys, we generally have an alright conversion rate. Look at recent times for example Ayshford has gone alright, Gavet was one of the better players this year.

The process, we need to trust it...ahem...

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
I'm HOPING that as a proud Maori, issac Luke will be smarting after being overlooked for the kiwis and will show up to round 1 in pristine conditioning and ready to reclaim his spot of number 2 hooker in the game from a few years back.

Also like the fact that there is plenty of competition for spots to keep certain players honest eg. Lisone, Vete, Kata, Ken.

It seems to be that we only have a few positions locked in for 2018 and the rest will depend on effort. I hope that is the case anyway.

Penrose_11

Juniors
Luke having a full pre-season without any World Cup can only be good for the club. With all the WC players probably not back until 1st week on January, hopefully we see the benefits in Lukes game come the late rounds of 2018

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Luke certainly had his issues last year, but at the same time our marshmallow pack didn't make things easier.

Off the back of Gavet, Paasi, Pulu, Harris all running hard, and Blair's ability to pop an offload back to the trailing dummy half, he's got little excuse not to be a larger threat.

Basically, yeah.

The differences I see between PTs capabilities is immense. There's dudes who have good bodies but know only one method which doesn't work for everyone, there's text book junkies who've never been overly successful, there's PTs who just do it to hook up, and then there's well rounded PTs.

All the NRL trainers are exceptional. So this isn't a slight on any of them or the Warriors trainer. They could be 1% off the capabilities off another clubs training team. They could be a year behind A knowing the litany of new training and nutritional theory and B understanding how to effectively apply it to this roster. When you are dealing with elite athletes that can make a huge difference, and personally I think our blokes were unable to keep up from an endurance perspective. We were god awful in nearly every second half and as is typical, faded horrifically at the back end of the year.

I think the Broncos training lad will make a difference. There is a very high opinion of him in the league. Sometimes it's the backup roles that make a lot of difference. For me, Craig Walker stands out - he did a great job at the Warriors and at the Roosters. David Fairleigh never gets a big mention but he's done a good job with Paul Green and I think his experience was very valuable to Ivan at the Warriors.
I wonder if we do any of the genetic testing that is out there to personalise the diets and work outs?

1% make a big difference, but attitudes have to be right as well from the playing group and I could see a lot of guys giving up in games this year.

On subject.
Hmm not sure why we will be better.
First season in a while I won be buying into the hype. (Hoping that's a good thing)

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
new conditioner, so even more of a guarantee that come early January, we will be hearing "toughest pre season ever for the boys" in interviews lol

I think the biggest difference for the season will be in expectations. Tipped to have a big season this year and were rubbish. Expectations for the coming season, with the coach they have in the box and the players arriving, are as low as I've ever seen them, so a solid showing would probably lift people's spirits up

Big Marn

Juniors
Still waiting for SJ to start owning it. Hes the highest paid player. He needs to start acting like it.
Maybe a C next to his name might be whats required.
We have a pack with no stars in it. But if they all do their jobs, we might be able to compete for a whole game, which might then extrapolate into a whole season...something we havent seen in a long time.

I think Kearney will improve as a coach.
Hes got the squad he picked and not inherated and has got rid of the deadwood so to speak.
No excuses for him. I think he will go well

BLN2

Juniors
A forward pack clean out has been needed the last 2 seasons, so I'm stoked we've booted the Lillyman, Hoffman, Matulino and Thompson, mediocre ageing players with FA balance (Matulino still has game, but he needs to move on, for both parties sake). If Paasi gets confirmed, sounds likely on compassionate grounds, I'd say the recruiting has been pretty solid.

Also with Beale and Hiku in the backline, and no losses, accountability should be there for under performing guys.

So I'd say we'll improve, but with half the starting team being new I think we'll have some rough games, and unlikely to make the 8.

Big Marn

Juniors
SJ has been owning it I reckon. I feel sorry for the bugger. He does such an excellent job but one man can only do so much without good go-forward, centres that can't pass, and wingers that can't wing.
I cant agree with this fully. Too many games over the years he went MIA during games. He wasnt the only one mind you. Last year was probably his most consistent year performance wise. But with the highest paid players in the elite positions come certain expectations.
Maybe i am asking for something from him that he doesnt have. A take a game by the scruff of the neck and just own it mentality. ala Fittler 2002 GF or a hundred Andrew Johns games. Maybe its just not there and it will never happen. Yes there has been the odd game where he fished the game out of the fire with sheer brilliance, but i want to see him go to another level. Maybe you are all right and he needs an Ace pack and a ruthless backline to get the best out of him.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I've always been a bit of a critic of Johnson, but happy to give him some credit for last season

Over many seasons, I've sensed a lack of effort from him at times, and when the pressure was on or the tough stuff come he turned his nose up at it and retreated and had a poor attitude, best example of that being a legend of the game in Fittler giving him a tip to improve his game and Shaun saying he doesn't care what he thinks

The season just gone, there is no way you could question his effort, which was a huge improvement, and there was also improvement at times in game management and his kicking game

Some other parts of his game have come on well, but realistically, for the amount of time he has played in the comp now, there should have been more improvement, and I think we have all seen enough to know that the best thing that could ever happen for Johnsons career is that he turns into a running 5/8 and has someone to run the side in the 7, can't see that ever happening though tbh. Only issue with the running side of things is that I still feel he is timid towards contact

Hope to be proven wrong here, but can't ever see him getting past the stage of being an above average NRL halfback who has his standout days, to being talked about as a top echelon halfback