What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why won't 9 show the All Stars game on GEM in VIC/SA/WA?

Do you consider not showing the game as being racist?

• Yes

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • No

Votes: 12 44.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CC_Roosters

First Grade
What I don't get is why channel 9 even have the exclusive rights to this game. It wasn't even around when they signed the last broadcast deal.

At a guess, it is probably in the contract that nine get exclusive live broadcast rights to all representative games and the all stars game is a representative fixture.

One thing is clear, maintaining status quo with the games broadcasters cannot and will not be allowed to happen. I don't expect us to get a perfect result with nine going and all games live, but significant improvements in coverage and scheduling must occur.

Kirky

Juniors
It's summer, which means there's nothing else on TV, so if Nine show the All Stars game in SA/Vic/WA people might actually watch it. This terrifying possibility would work against them when they walk into the broadcast negotiations this year and claim "NRL doesn't rate south of the Barassi Line".

We'll get no favors from Nine or Fox leading into the rights deal. Growing the game is in their long term interest (assuming they keep the rights), but in the short term they'll do everything they can to keep a lid on ratings unfortunately.

Hopefully the new commission is less worried about upsetting broadcasters, and will actually hold Nine to what they're contractually obliged to broadcast into Vic especially. Say what you will about the guy, but when Ten wanted to stop broadcasting AFL into Sydney on Saturday nights, I doubt Andrew Dimetrio bent over Gallop-style.

jbl31649

Juniors
At a guess, it is probably in the contract that nine get exclusive live broadcast rights to all representative games and the all stars game is a representative fixture.

One thing is clear, maintaining status quo with the games broadcasters cannot and will not be allowed to happen. I don't expect us to get a perfect result with nine going and all games live, but significant improvements in coverage and scheduling must occur.

I can live and would be happy with a deal like 4 live and 4 delayed or replayed next day for nine and fox respectively.

For instance Friday night stays the same 1 live in NSW/QLD the other delayed and all 4 shared with Fox.

1 Saturday Live for 9 or even delayed, the others live on fox (or how they do it now) and replayed next day on 9.

Sunday live on fox, as is on 9.

Monday night live on fox, delay on nine.

Gives insentive for having Fox being able to see all matches live (expect friday/Saturday's due to same time. Yet allows me to see all games or recored them on free to air.

Billythekid

First Grade
Yet another example showing channel 9 has some serious bias. It's in the non ratings period and they are showing some old crappy repeats instead. They will rate basically nothing so there is no excuse not to show the game.

I've said this before and i'll say it again if this happened to any other sport there would be all sorts of people kicking up a stink. When it happens to league you barely hear a whisper. We need some of the people involved in rugby league with some influence to man up and come out and say something.

It shouldn't be up to us to try and bombard channel 9 with complaints (especially since they just ignore you or ban you in the case of facebook).

Lambretta

First Grade
9 facebook ban you from posting if you're critical of them

:lol:

Then set up a facebook page called "Foes of Nein" and allow nothing but criticism of Channel 9

It would get alot of media coverage on 7 and 10

Really f**king hammer 9 and give them a right f**king pasting
The racist line here is definately the way to go.

I'm writing to the Herald first chance I get

Perth Red

Post Whore
NRL should tell Nine that any games not screened live nationally will be streamed online live. If they put up a fight use the Melbourne midnight breach of contract as bargaining point.

But that would take the NRL to actually give a damn.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
9 facebook ban you from posting if you're critical of them

All too true - even constructive points that prove they are telling flat lies.

When challenged on how these posts broke user guidelines, more people get blocked. It's laughably childish. If Nein get taken to the cleaners for the next lot of TV rights with mandatory live broadcasting (and I hope they do) I'll be the first to send a delightfully scathing and outrageous "F you - you copped it in the neck and deserved it" letter.

In the post.

Personally addressed.

To the head of programming at Nein Melbourne.

He'll know exactly who it is - the person who had a delightful phone conversation with him where he happily admitted that he didn't like the game and took an active stance in keeping it off tele.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
All too true - even constructive points that prove they are telling flat lies.

When challenged on how these posts broke user guidelines, more people get blocked. It's laughably childish. If Nein get taken to the cleaners for the next lot of TV rights with mandatory live broadcasting (and I hope they do) I'll be the first to send a delightfully scathing and outrageous "F you - you copped it in the neck and deserved it" letter.

In the post.

Personally addressed.

To the head of programming at Nein Melbourne.

He'll know exactly who it is - the person who had a delightful phone conversation with him where he happily admitted that he didn't like the game and took an active stance in keeping it off tele.

it's pathetic

you don't even have to abuse them and you get blocked

they just want no negative comments or questions

IanG

Coach
Typical Nein. Hope they lose the rights.

As for them using the slogan of being "The Home Of Sport" They should be sued under the trade practices act.

hutch

First Grade
Has anybody phoned or emailed them? Its not even surprising anymore, they have zero respect for the sport!