What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop injury

gitano

Juniors
Mann let half our forward pack kick yesterday. Need a dominant half. Not a winger like Mann

This Year?

Immortal
Is it just me or is gitano to Mann what Vas was/is to Widdop?

To be fair we saw what Mann at 5/8 did which was pretty crap lol. So bad that our fearless forward thought he could do better but pretty much messed up our middle 3rd instead.

Calmer heads would have prevailed but we panicked badly.

willzy91

Juniors
lads don't forget with the international break and the bye its only 4 games we won't have him for. so we have Storm, Sharks, Warriors & Tigers....at least 2/4 winnable games there without Widdop. YES Mann is untried in the halves but come on lads give the guy a go....at the very least we play him in a game where its a long shot winning even with Widdop in the side so really no harm in giving Mann this opportunity this weekend.

possm

Coach
A loss to the Storm and Sharks will undermine confidence. It seems we have so many halves either not up to first grade or not ready for first grade. It's a position we never should be in. It was bad enough relying on McCrone to perform above all expectations let alone have Mann/Field/Nona having to step up at this point in the season after the team doing so well to date. The pressure on these players will be enormous.

willzy91

Juniors
A loss to the Storm and Sharks will undermine confidence. It seems we have so many halves either not up to first grade or not ready for first grade. It's a position we never should be in. It was bad enough relying on McCrone to perform above all expectations let alone have Mann/Field/Nona having to step up at this point in the season after the team doing so well to date. The pressure on these players will be enormous.

Of course there will be pressure, but there's pressure on any half coming into a top team to fill the boots of the teams best player....But we as the supporters have to back and support whoever fills those boots. We have spoken about Mann at length when it comes to his versatility, now is his chance to show us....and YES the safer option would be putting Nona, Field or even De Belin in that position but let's get behind Mann and hope he can pull through for us.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Souths dont have Inglis....Cowboys are without Scott &Thurston... Donkeys without Hunt.....Titans were without Hayne...Widdops injury is a blow but as I said we have to hang tough.....its not the end of the season as some are alluding to....play for 80 mins boys and lets see what happens

giboz71

First Grade
Widdop was probably the one injury we couldn't cover given his form this year. We have depth everywhere else. Even when Duges went down for 2 weeks, we didn't skip a beat and our attack actually looked better with Flo at FB.

No way McCrone can be the dominant half, he just doesn't have the ability, as well as he's gone this year. And his role actually suits deferring to Widdop. Mann will do the job, but it's a bit too much to ask him to replace what we lose with Widdop.

Don't want to be pessimistic, but I fear a run of losses while Gareth is out.

possm

Coach
Souths dont have Inglis....Cowboys are without Scott &Thurston... Donkeys without Hunt.....Titans were without Hayne...Widdops injury is a blow but as I said we have to hang tough.....its not the end of the season as some are alluding to....play for 80 mins boys and lets see what happens
South Sydney, Cowboys, Titans and Broncos are all performing below expectations because their roster has been hit with injuries. So this confirms my view. Our problem is we do not have a ready made first grade replacement for Widdop who is our captain and the focus of our game management.

We have a halfback playing out of his skin and still performing barely at first grade level and then we have untested substitute five-eighths to replace the form five-eighth of the competition who happens to be our captain, playmaker, goal kicker and one of our best players.

This problem could have been avoided by having a pair of fringe first grade halves waiting for promotion in reserve grade. Halves that are tried and tested and could step up in an emergency. I'd say McCrone has turned out to be a halfback of that ilk. We don't have a tested five-eighth even though Mary has had the chance to properly test Mann and limited opportunity to test Field.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
On Widdops injury it was repirted yesterday that he would be out for "at least 6 weeks" key word here is least.
Today i noticed it has changed to "several weeks".
I dont expect to see Widdop until round 15 at the earliest.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
This will either kill the season or make it an even better season. If Saints come out of this period and are still in the top 8 and with Mann excelling in the halves it could be a blessing in disguise and will put them in top shape for the back end of this season. Mann is playing for his season so he will step up for sure. ONly thing is more teams will take note if he does and Saints will not be able to afford him.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I heard Kyle Stanley is being urged to come out of retirement.....oops, he just fractured his collar bone out for the season.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
As the saying goes; "When opportunity knocks open the door and embrace it"

It's time for someone to embrace this opportunity.

IMO it's time for Mann to shine, I'm betting he gets the job done

Please someone correct me if l'm wrong but what l saw the other day, he seems to lack that bit of mongrel, that self belief, to take on the opposition. Think l recall one good bit of attack. Being away from first grade may have taken that bit of spark off him and now when he gets a chance, he doesn't want to risk it and may tend to play safe. How many times nowadays do we see players chipping over the top and going for it ......... practically never.
Some young gun needs to take charge ..........We need that bit of mongrel coming out of them.
McCrone is never going to be the forerunner and l'm not bagging him for that but someone needs to aim up.

Notice to all the young guns ........ Live auditions please!

Carlton

Juniors
How the hell does anyone think they can make a judgement on Mann's ability to pay in the halves based on the last game? He comes on into 5/8 has a few minutes there and then is pushed to the wing and then is moved back to 5/8 for a few more minutes.

If forwards were kicking blame either McCrone for not taking charge or ask why those forwards were even in there at that stage of the tackle count. You don't Want a fill in half trying to take control, you want them to play a steady support role.

The thing that Mann did show is he is elusive and can beat tacklers, I noticed one poster say he was running sideways, I don't think that was the case he was stepping past players and moving forward. Once you have beaten a defender and gotten behind them there is the opportunity to find an overlap or holes.

SGMax

Juniors
Can't believe that JDB is being considered in any way as cover for the 5/8 role.
Any back in the team, any team, would be a better option than JDB.
If Mann is given the correct scope by the coach and told not to be too fancy, he should do OK.
If that goose at Parra can adapt from the wing and do quite well at 6, then Mann will be fine.

If he starts believing he is a ball player again it will be back to last year's game of run to the defence and stop, turn and pass with an upward shovelling action to someone 10 metres behind him..
He needs to concentrate on running straight and hard through the defensive line and then if he gets through look to pass to support.

Would like Field on the bench for variety and to give the Storm something more to think about.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Poss
South Sydney, Cowboys, Titans and Broncos are all performing below expectations because their roster has been hit with injuries. So this confirms my view. Our problem is we do not have a ready made first grade replacement for Widdop who is our captain and the focus of our game management.

We have a halfback playing out of his skin and still performing barely at first grade level and then we have untested substitute five-eighths to replace the form five-eighth of the competition who happens to be our captain, playmaker, goal kicker and one of our best players.

This problem could have been avoided by having a pair of fringe first grade halves waiting for promotion in reserve grade. Halves that are tried and tested and could step up in an emergency. I'd say McCrone has turned out to be a halfback of that ilk. We don't have a tested five-eighth even though Mary has had the chance to properly test Mann and limited opportunity to test Field.
Possum everything you are saying makes sense and I agree we should have done a lot of things but unfortunately we/ he didnt.......but our current situation is what it is.....I doubt anyone on here likes it but we have to hang in there.......put it this way did any of us think after last season that in Round 9 we would be second on the table......yes we may slip a notch or to but on the brink of rep football anythings liable to happen to any team including ours....as I said we have to compete to the best of our abilty for 80 mins and see what happens