What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Widdop or Dugan? and who replaces them?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
This player transfer stuff is out of control.

Takes away from the game..

It's like a friggin soap opera..

And it's the fault of player leeches managers and then press..

Oh for some quality journalism instead of just rumour and speculation..

mickeylane

Bench
f**k me what a frenzy. The player market is on steroids at the moment.
The Roosters will be an absolute powerhouse with Tedesco at fullback next season, Teddy's game will reach a whole new level with them.
No idea why the Dogs went after Woods with the forwards they have but Foran is a great pick up for them.
I do feel awful for the Tigers though, losing 3 of their 4 best players like that... They'll be in tatters.

As for this Gagai thing, where the hell did that come from?
If Dugan and Widdop want to go to Tigers good luck to them - they won't be playing semi final football for a very long time...

The key to our future success are our forwards including Packer and keeping the nucleus of our backline - i think Mann and Field can slip in and cover for Dugan and Widdop - Id like to see a gun winger added

mickeylane

Bench
Rothfield has suggested Dragons are interested in Gagai from the Knights. Yes please, I'd swap him with Dugan if it means we save a few bucks to keep Widdop or Packer, or someone else.
Rothfield has the best mail of any reporter! Called the Tedesco, Foran, Woods deals weeks ago!!

Crush

Coach
Good that all this stuff is being sorted out now. Hopefully now widdop and duges can sign with whoever they are going to sign with so we can all concentrate on the footy and move on.
Honestly, its like bold and the beautiful!

Gareth67

First Grade
Absolutely amazed that all of this has been ALLOWED to have occurred at this stage of the season . It is so wrong , it's nothing short of shameful ! The NRL should had stepped in and stop all of the negotiations until the end of the year .

There shall be 2 clubs , not 1 , that will be left in total disarray as a result of the ' money ' clubs yet again having their way . The Tigers and ourselves . The Tigers have been hung , drawn and quartered and the Dragons will not be far behind them .

Regardless of the outcome of Widdop , Packer and Dugan resigning , the big question now is - what will happen to our chances of making a dent in the 2017 competition . This would have to be one of the darkest days for rugby league in recent times . The NRL , should hang their bluudy heads in shame ! ! !

Last edited:

FlameThrower

Bench
Until we get the official word ...Widdop and Dugan are still with us. This is annoying as a fan, but the NRL have let this get out of hand. It's a free for all at the moment. I'm expecting players from Roosters and Bulldogs to be let go...

mickeylane

Bench
Mate don't discount Dugan staying....Tigers and Knights will be in wilderness for next 5 years..
agreed 100% been reported tonite Dragons increased Widdop offer and has agreed to stay...Dugan loves the joint just wants to hear he's playing FB....need to keep Lafai and Packer though

twinkletoes

Juniors
The handling of our elite player retention has been absolutely abysmal....in many ways far worse than the Tigers.
The Millwards..father and son are a disgrace to the Dragons. How can a pathways director be telling the coach what positions to play certain players. This is absolutely unheard of..and the reason Cleary did not come to the Dragons

Brutalitops

Juniors
I actually love this player transfer stuff and find it to be some bloody good entertainment.

Hoping we hold onto Widdop and Dugan, but if we don't, the market will be blown wide open once again before this season is completed and we will go hard for someone else.

St Georgio

Juniors
The handling of our elite player retention has been absolutely abysmal....in many ways far worse than the Tigers.
The Millwards..father and son are a disgrace to the Dragons. How can a pathways director be telling the coach what positions to play certain players. This is absolutely unheard of..and the reason Cleary did not come to the Dragons
You're a joke, I feel sorry for Cleary and the tigers, Millward is a f**king legend with the signing of hunt, Vaughan and co, we could be sucking our thumbs without a good number 7. At the end of the day the NRL is a f**king disgrace allowing this frenzy, the NRL is a lost cause or the RL mafia running the game!

GC Dragon

Juniors
I agree the handling of Dugan and Widdop has been poor. In my opinion Millward doesn't really want Dugan retained .

To answer the question who replaces Dugan and Widdop ? . The answer is nobody from within . They are 2 seasoned international players and to think Mann ( who I rate highly as a winger or centre ) can replace Widdop as a first grade 5/8 is garbage . And as for Field replacing Dugan as a Fullback that's just plain ludicrous the kid doesn't even play that position for the 20's .

I ask anybody going to the Anzac game to watch the work Dugan does at the back . And seriously ask yourself if a slightly built 19 year old kid who isn't even used to playing first grade let alone playing the hardest position on the field can replace him .

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
CAN ANYONE ON HERE EMPHATICALLY PROVE THAT WE CANNOT AFFORD DUGAN AND WIDDOP.....ITS ALL HEAR SAY AND RUMOUR THAT WE CANT....IN THE MEANTIME CAN WE CONCENTRATE ON THE FACT THAT THEY ARE STILL PLAYING IN THE RED V AND WE ARE LEADING THE COMP AND SIT BACK AND ENJOY THE MOMENT

WA 'S OWN RED V

Juniors
If we can't keep both.I am all in for Dugan. I thought he showed much more when we were down. I think we can live without Widdop. Please not overs for him.He was ordinary last year and I thought the club stuck solid with him. If we put a good offer on the table and he walks wish him all the best.
We have a quality half coming to the club.
Dugan is the best option at fullback for now.
If Widdop leaves make Dugan captain and top up his deal. FB,3/4 what ever.

twinkletoes

Juniors
You're a joke, I feel sorry for Cleary and the tigers, Millward is a f**king legend with the signing of hunt, Vaughan and co, we could be sucking our thumbs without a good number 7. At the end of the day the NRL is a f**king disgrace allowing this frenzy, the NRL is a lost cause or the RL mafia running the game!
You're the joke f**ker...how can a club allow the pathways director dictate to the coach where players are played. Millward must also be the brains behind letting our elite players be off contract and unsigned at the same time..sounds familiar to the Tigers. I also believe Widdop, Dugan and Packer have the same manager...once again sounds familiar doesn't it. Tigers management have been crucified for letting thesame scenario play out and yet not a word about the incompetence of Dragons management for allowing the same situation to occur

Reactions: Qdf

Juniors
agreed 100% been reported tonite Dragons increased Widdop offer and has agreed to stay...Dugan loves the joint just wants to hear he's playing FB....need to keep Lafai and Packer though

Awesome IF true. A radio station a couple weeks ago (probs mmm but unsure) basically said we offered Widdop less than he is currently on. Obviously can't say if true and may even be common knowledge. But if true, then upping it at least a bit would be a smart move IMHO.

Okman

Juniors
Hasn't Dugan always said that he's wanted to play centre for us?

Now that it's time for him to sign, he wants to be a fullback again?

Sign for the money that's on the table; you'll get your extra cash from the Kangaroos

Love him to bits (he's been top notch this year) but no player is bigger than our club - sign with us or go to Wests/Knights.

The show goes on